What are the loud booms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ocasionally my wife who is scared of every noise will hear a boom out side. I cant hear them. But the 2 dogs, cat on my lap did,plus the visiting 12 yr old cousin did.

I figured someone shot at a coyote. Then people on face book started talking about it. Some people heard it several miles away from our location.

I find that odd. Sonic boom? Is the govt testing stuff around here? They used to untill they closed the AFB near by.

Nobody knew what it was or where it originated from. What could the loud booms be?

Every sonic boom I've heard is two booms a micro second apart.

Could be a plane, experimental craft, mini NASA space shuttle thing (how far from Vandenberg AFB are you) or a meteor.

How often are they? See if you can get a recording.
50.gif

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Every sonic boom I've heard is two booms a micro second apart.

Could be a plane, experimental craft, mini NASA space shuttle thing (how far from Vandenberg AFB are you) or a meteor.
very far from vandenberg. Much closer to 29 palms (100m) or ft irwin (70m).

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Round my way, you can hear/feel the sound of freedom coming from Ft Bragg.

Beautiful sound.

http://www.29palms.marines.mil/Staff/G5-Government-and-External-Affairs/SoundReporting/

We want to know what you hear
To improve our understanding of how training affects the community, we have implemented a sound reporting system. The information you provide will enable us to monitor what sounds are being heard, where they are being heard, and the scale of impact on the community.

Through this reporting system, we will be able to match specific training areas, types of training, and weather occurrences to better understand how they factor in to what the community hears. While MCAGCC’s training mission must continue, if there is an opportunity to make adjustments to reduce the sounds, we’ll try to take advantage of it.

How to report what you hear
To let us know what you hear, please call the G-5 at (760) 830-9222 or send an email to [email protected]

Please include the time and date of the sound occurrence, where you were when you heard the sound and the type of sound that you heard (artillery, aircraft, other sound).

Providing your personal information is not required. However, if you want us to follow up with you, we will need a contact number or email address.

Isn’t Edwards AFB near there? (Relatively). Could be some flyover sonic booms as well from traffic to and from Edwards.

I live near Joint Base Lewis McChord. The artillery firing range is probably 20 miles away but we can hear the thumps easily, especially when the bigger bores are being used. This is in a hilly forested urban setting. In your area of wide open high desert I suspect sounds travel much further.

Last edited:
I knew some folks who lived about 20 miles north of Ft. Hood while in college.
At night the sound from an Abrams firing at that range would be a low thud, very unique, the low frequency would penetrate everything.

Having friends who lived in South Texas when the Space Shuttle came apart, it could of been space debris.

Also, anyone keeping track of the USAF's Space Plane?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Round my way, you can hear/feel the sound of freedom coming from Ft Bragg.

Same way I feel about Virginia Beach when I visit my son.

Are those single booms or a whole barrage? If the latter, some farmers use hail cannons. They are pretty loud. Or maybe you're being gaslighted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back