Natural attractions and living somewhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the terrible title.

So the quick and dirty question: If you are a home body type of person, is it in any way advantageous to relocate to a place where there are things to do outside the home (even if you never intend to do those things)?

Think of it as the "New Yorker Problem" where someone could live in NYC all their life and never feel it necessary to go see the touristy things the locale has to offer.

But to expand on that, would that person then be fine in a less exciting city if employment and family aren't considerations? If they are mostly traveling between work and home with occasional shopping and dining, aren't they better off living some place with less congestion and cost of living? They could save money on taxes and housing if they moved to some place less exciting right?

This is something I have been mulling over in my head for a while. I live in one of the most unremarkable states in the country, but used to travel all around for work. I suppose my personality is such a way that I felt like most places are the same when you boil it down to how we live life 95% of the time.

We work, we eat, we sleep. Maybe throw in parenting duties if you have kids or going to the gym if you are into fitness.

That seems like 95% of the equation. The remaining 5% would be vacations, weekend recreation, visiting attractions, spending free time with friends and family, etc.

I have been trying to make the case that I should move somewhere exciting but I know that once I settle in, I would just spend most of my time at home doing automotive things. I couldn't see myself driving to the mountains every weekend if I lived in Colorado, or swimming at the beach once a week if I lived on a coast.

Is my assessment too left brained? I know there are aesthetic benefits of living some place like near a coastline, but don't people in those places get desensitized to that over time anyway? How many people live in Hawaii but sit around at home, or how many people live in Denver and have never gone skiing?

Natural or man made, the phenomenon is the same. I grew up near St Louis and it wasn't until I was 21 before I finally visited the Arch.

Interesting thought. I like mountains, something we don't have here. But I also like lakes, something we have no shortage of.
I kind of agree with you. You say you live in one of the most unremarkable states. Just out of curiosity, which state?

I've been to the east coast a few times and I was struck by how beautiful the Appalachians are. I really loved Pennsylvania.
And West Virginia, for all of its problems, is stunningly beautiful.

But do you pick one of these places to live? Good question.

Tman - right smack between KS and TX.

Nibbanna - Good point. Mentality is a definite factor.

Well the house I bought in DE has beach attractions. I hope it will lure my daughter's and families then I can go to the beach and related attractions with them.

If I could do it employment wise for my situation, I'd move in a New York minute! (catch that pun?).

Where I live used to be an almost ideal place for my style of recreating and touring. But, sadly, this area STINKS for that now. Crime, bums, millions of people, ethnic diversity up the wazoo, politically ridiculous, and littering. Not my idea of a decent place anymore.

I can't speak for you of course. Many times it comes from within ourselves to be satisfied where we live. Other times, a move can make a world of difference. I know that for me, climate also is a big deal. I'm tired of clouds and rain. It can depress me. I'd fare better just moving to a sunnier place. Of course, many other factors come into place.

You are correct about those living in near paradise conditions get desensitized to it. That's why living in Hawaii or some beautiful (but somewhat repetitive) environment can get boring. Only you can know what might work for you. Maybe figure that out by taking a five day or more vacation to areas you think you might like to move? At least then you would have a bit better grasp on if it would make any difference.

North Carolina ! I live 3 hours west of the Atlantic Ocean and 1 hour East of the Blue Ridge mountains. 1 hour North of Charlotte but there’s nothing there that I need. Nice climate low taxes. I live just down the road from Mayberry.....

I live in southern CA (just outside LA) and there’s everything exterior here (coast, mountains, desert, etc), good weather. There r tons of other entertainment / attractions all year long. Very hard to beat....but....my wife and I really dislike the cost of owning property over here. This and the amount of traffic is enough for us to consider moving to AZ or TX. But I have a well paying job, most my family /friends are here, I really enjoy outdoors (golf, saltwater fishing, hiking, etc). So we will most likely stay....at least until time to retire

Last edited:
gman, Mt Airy is a great town. Every town should have a Mayberry or similar gig. But for family, I'd consider the move.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Tman - right smack between KS and TX.

I love Oklahoma.

If I wasn't in Texas, I would be either in Oklahoma or NW Arkansas.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I have to be happy in my surroundings to "be happy".

YES!!
Currently, I live in just about the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE.
My official zip code is Clifton, Texas - but there isn't another house for miles.

And THAT is EXACTLY how I want it to be!

Oh, BTW.... Nebraska is easily the most boring state I have ever had anything to do with.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Stay where you are Reddy. You will not miss anything relocating.

More money in his pocket?
(if cost of living may be lower and if he's not retired, his paycheck may be lower also)

If quiet and unexcited is your thing, why do you need our approval?

You only have one life. How about YOU live it!

P.S. bonus BITOG points: moving to an old-ish quiet place increases the chance of owning vehicles you may find more pleasant then current modern stables.....

Last edited:
Another vote for Oklahoma. I REALLY understand what you're saying. Over the years, and with my daughter about grown and gone, I'm becoming the same way. I can say...."been there, done that" with being a military brat....all over Europe, Asia, Guam, Hawaii and umpteen different military bases in the US. At the point in my life that there really isn't nothing I'm dying to see. Really like the small town I live in. Just enough shopping stuff to keep prices in check...enter superwalmart....enough restaurants so you won't go hungry if you don't want to cook. There are still a few mom/pops kind of operations here...mechanics, HVAC, etc. etc. that you don't feel you're getting screwed. People still say howdy and are generally decent. The school systems seem to really care. Yeah, there are drugs here and there but it's almost a norm, especially when you're next to a major interstate artery. Taxes are low, fuel is always cheaper compared to the national average. Tornadoes is about the only thing you learn to keep an "eye" out for but today's forecasters are pretty dang accurate in predicting....get you a shelter built in your garage and you just learn to live with it. I mean, there are homes built at the turn of the century that have never been hit by a tornado. If you really need to get "out," OKC is becoming more modernized....you can get to Corpus Christi or Padre Island within 10 hours, Denver within 8 hours and Will Rogers Airport serves just about all carries.....did you know that airport is the only airport in the world named after a guy that died in an airplane? Oklahoma humor, gotta love it.

I lived in TX, NM, AZ, CA, WA, Thailand, Guam, Okinawa, Philippines, and now WV.
Now I just look at it as "home is where my butt is parked".

Dang dude, our paths may have crossed at some point. Didn't make it to Thailand or Okinawa though.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Dang dude, our paths may have crossed at some point. Didn't make it to Thailand or Okinawa though.

Possible, A buddy and I were on a motorcycle trip many years ago from WA to Las Vegas.
We stopped at a NAPA store in Reno to get something for his bike. I yelled at him from across the store that I found what he was looking for.
From the back of the store, someone yelled out "Jon, is that you?".
It was an old buddy from Thailand that I had no idea of where he lived.

Originally Posted By: jonnied1
Originally Posted By: Schmoe

Possible, A buddy and I were on a motorcycle trip many years ago from WA to Las Vegas.
We stopped at a NAPA store in Reno to get something for his bike. I yelled at him from across the store that I found what he was looking for.
From the back of the store, someone yelled out "Jon, is that you?".
It was an old buddy from Thailand that I had no idea of where he lived.

That would be incredible. How strange and extremely coincidental. The odds of that happening must be a million to one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back