Natural Gas GE/Briggs&Stratton Generator No Start

Sam_Julier

$50 Site Donor 2024
I have an 8kw GE backup generator. Engine is a Briggs&Stratton Model 310000, 500cc, single cylinder. I don't know if the engine is Intek or Vanguard model. The engine has 30.5 hours total time. Engine would not start at 5 degrees and shut off the exercise cycle. Attempts to start in Manual mode were successful but only on the second or third try. Spark plug was changed from the OE (Champion RC12YC) to the Briggs&Stratton Premium Platinum 5066K plug. At 0 degrees this morning the engine started the first time but after 33 seconds of roughness. But it started on its own. I am thinking of having a service call to check the fuel regulator. Are these engines running on NG typically harder to start than gasoline? I've noticed that when the temp is < 10 degrees the engine stumbles for 10-20 seconds before catching. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sam

Last edited:
It's so hard to say without looking at more info/docs.

I would like to know what type of "enriching circuit" is used at those cold temps.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
It's so hard to say without looking at more info/docs.

I would like to know what type of "enriching circuit" is used at those cold temps.

The manuals don't mention a thing about this.

I dont think you have a problem. Engines are hard to start when its cold. Especially engines that haven't been ran in a while. Maybe run your engine more often, especially right before you are expecting a big storm.

With the colder than normal ambient temps we're having and the draw on the natural gas infrastructure, it may not be getting quite enough NG to cold start. You could experiment by putting a heating pad around the carb/intake to see if it will (extreme) cold start easier.

Originally Posted By: DNVDMAX
Cold, non-synthetic oil possibly contributing to the problem?

5W30 Havoline Pro DS Full Syn in the sump.

Originally Posted By: JTK
With the colder than normal ambient temps we're having and the draw on the natural gas infrastructure, it may not be getting quite enough NG to cold start. You could experiment by putting a heating pad around the carb/intake to see if it will (extreme) cold start easier.

During the manual start tests I shut off the heat and on demand hot water - 317,000btu's together. Maybe it started faster but hard to tell.

Sam

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
What are the plugs gapped at? They need to be at 20-22.

Spec is .030. New plug installed today is exactly .030. Sam

You potentially may not need an enriching circuit.

We have a choke on gasoline engines because some of the fuel doesn't atomize and remains as useless droplets that condense in the intake.

Natural gas is gas all the time and should be stoichometric. I tend to agree with the theory of your neighbors' houses using more gas for heat but we need to know what pressure is supposed to be at the street/ mainline level vs coming out of your meter.

I have a 3-way carb on my pull-cord generator, a chinese jobby. It came w/o instructions and has a choke but I assume just for gasoline use.

Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier

During the manual start tests I shut off the heat and on demand hot water - 317,000btu's together. Maybe it started faster but hard to tell.

Sam

Do you switch (almost) the whole house over for the ten minute run? I thought they just exercised without much of a load during the self-checks.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier

Sam

Do you switch (almost) the whole house over for the ten minute run? I thought they just exercised without much of a load during the self-checks.

The exercise cycle runs weekly for 20 minutes with no load. It's primary purpose is to recharge the battery (I think). On the first of every month I flip the switch on the main panel to simulate power loss from the grid and exercise the generator too.

Sam

The book says .030 but there's a bulletin to dealers that says gap at .020 for easier starting. I just gave you an inside scoop.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
The book says .030 but there's a bulletin to dealers that says gap at .020 for easier starting. I just gave you an inside scoop.

The Champion RC12YC I removed this morning is gapped at .020.

Propane generators are a lot easier to start than gasoline. From my observations. No choke. It takes a little cranking for the propane to flow from tank to engine, if you keep the valve at tank off.

They do run hotter and can burn valves.

I would expect NG to be similar.

I used a borrowed generator some years ago. It was fueled with propane. Darn thing would not start when the temp was below 30f. I always had to spray some gumout in the intake to get it to fire. After it was warm, it would start fine most times though.

Gumout spray is my goto starting fluid. Never fails.

Without your model number, the information I Googled suggests that your unit comes with an automatic battery charger/maintainer. There is a cold winter kit available that keeps the oil and battery warm to assist easier starting: https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...1.0.12COGLMSwX4

I'm guessing that there might be a very slight chance that a few of the above posters might be correct to check the proper fuel pressure input. I'm also guessing that maybe the carburetor is just very simple and struggles a bit to compensate for very cold temperature start ups. Maybe the oil heater transfers a bit of heat to the carb also???

At work, I have a 17kw NG standby generator that starts the same at -10F as it does above 32F, if that means anything. It has a battery maintainer and coolant heater.

Back