Does anyone else prefer a smaller snowblower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got hit with about 6" plus some deeper drifts by me. I broke out my older Snapper 4/22 that I gave to my brother a few years ago, which Im storing for him while he looks for a new house. I normally use a 12/30 ariens at the house, a very heavy commercial machine from the early 90s, and I also have a toro 8/24 pro (taller and deeper housing and auger) for the shop. I was very surprised at how well the little 4 ate through the snow, even the larger plow drifts at the shop, with the icy slush on the bottom. After about 4 hours between the house, neighbors and the shop, my ears thanked me for the lower volume, and my back was definitely in better shape. Unless theres something serious coming, I think Ill stick with the smaller guy.

I snowblew for my grandparents who have a single stage Simplicity or something. It wasn't self propelled but was super easy to push and steer. It also got to within 1/4 inch of the cement. It wouldn't do well in huge snows but for the majority of them that are
Our standard-sized 2-stage MTD is a big pain in comparison. It's hard to steer, and jarring when it hits an expanision joint. We don't use it if it's less than about 2 inches.
I think I'm with you.

The small ones are good for light snow that isn't wet and heavy. Had one and got rid of it. Needed a two stage to properly clean the bottom of my driveway.

I like smaller blowers for packaging and power reasons too. I didn't want to take up too much room in the garage, so I went looking for the smallest 2 stage, which led me to an older 5hp 21" Toro. It has plenty of power for its width.

Nope.

Enormous blower. It does nicely on two inches of snow. When the stuff gets heavy and plow hits the end of driveway I'm thankful for a big beast.

Besides manhandling the big iron is good exercise.

A good light snowblower is easy to manoeuvre, store, and feed. From the comments above it's clear that the snowblower use here is much different than from wherever the previous posters are from. No-one here would pull out a snowblower for 2" of snow. Maybe not even 4"; we use a shovel for that stuff. I have never in my life seen a snowblower or heard one with those snow levels. Some people will pull one out for 6 inches if they have large driveways to clear, but usually it's even higher than that.

They're used mostly for storm clearing; so far this winter we haven't had any; there is about 10" of accumulated snow in uncleared areas (if it falls, it stays until spring; no warm melts over winter), and I haven't seen a snowblower once yet this season. We just shovel the stuff, it gets down to dry pavement easily, and you're done.

I haven't had a snow yet that my little Toro couldn't handle in twenty years. Throws it 15 feet. I will take that than having some beast sitting around for eights months, taking up space.

Originally Posted By: Audios
We got hit with about 6" plus some deeper drifts by me. I broke out my older Snapper 4/22 that I gave to my brother a few years ago, which Im storing for him while he looks for a new house. I normally use a 12/30 ariens at the house, a very heavy commercial machine from the early 90s, and I also have a toro 8/24 pro (taller and deeper housing and auger) for the shop. I was very surprised at how well the little 4 ate through the snow, even the larger plow drifts at the shop, with the icy slush on the bottom. After about 4 hours between the house, neighbors and the shop, my ears thanked me for the lower volume, and my back was definitely in better shape. Unless theres something serious coming, I think Ill stick with the smaller guy.

I use a 36" Ariens and am glad I have it. Long dirt drive so 2 passes up and two down. I could use heated handles. Started on Fri with just adding gas after not being used since last winter. Use blue StaBil in all gas for 4 cycle OPE. It's a monster but I need it. Had an old 28" that I sold as it was too slow.

Fan of the 7/24 size 2-stage. Only wish it had a high-speed reverse. I just throw it in neutral and man-handle it back. Stupid design... you'd probably only move it forward under load but you back out of spots all the time.

Work is moving me from South FL to rural NY in the near future. This thread upsets me.... I despise snow.

Last edited:
We were also discussing them in this thread somewhat.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...hro#Post4620410

I also believe, depending on what you have/get, that that makes a difference as well. I hate to sound like a Fanboy, but I believe the smaller Toro's are the best you can get.
I've had one now for likely 25-30 years and it has always tackled, with ease, anything I have come up against. My newer 4 Stroke is even that much better. Small, light, no mixing of gas, easy to use Chute and I can store it in my basement in the off season after I syphon the gas out.
If I lived up north, 2-3 hours, and was in a snow belt area, it may not be enough if we are talking snow in feet rather than inches? In that case, I'd likely have an atv with a plow or a P/U with one. The big honking walk behind ones are, imo, getting to be things of the past, but I'm sure many still use them who need them.

I have 4 single stage, 3 1/2hp, 4.5, & 5.5hp. My favorite is the 4.5hp because it's a Toro. Toro and Honda for single stage are the best.

I have 2 10hp, 32" 2 9" , 9 up 27" , 8/24, 8/26, 2 5/24, 5/22. My favorite two stage is the 8/24, the 8/26 is big, My second favorite is the 5/22, the 9 & 10 are heavy beasts. Here the best is Gravely, then Honda, then Simplicity, then Ariens and Toro, also the original John Deere.

I own Gravely, Ariens, Toro, John Deere, Murray, MTD.

I have a step up from my driveway to my sidewalk. Single stage Toro is an easy lift onto the sidewalk. It's never had a problem with the driveway either, here in mid-Michigan.

I have a 28 inch Ariens with a 250cc Briggs & Stratton for about 5 or 6 years now. I can lock/unlock the left wheel right from the handgrip for easy turning. I have a large area to clear when the snow falls and also the snow plow mess at the end of my driveway, by the mailbox and trash can area.

The wide width, good power and easy maneuverability makes the job go faster and easier than it would be with a smaller blower. It eats through the snow, even the hard packed snow plow stuff, with ease.

I owned a Toro 221QE two stroke single stage and a Simplicity 9/28 dual stage. The Toro did 95% of the work and was always my go to machine for snow less than 10", unless it was very heavy and wet. If a person has the room for two machines, a similar combination to the above would be ideal.

I also bought a couple used Craftsman & MTD single stage two cycle machines just to hop up and play with. The little Tecumseh two stroke engines were awesome when revved two to three times beyond factory settings and I never managed to blow one up! Those 139cc two cycle engines were making close to 10 h.p. at 8000-9000 rpm and would throw snow like nobody's business. I cleared a lot of snow and had a lot of fun with those old, cheap single stage machines.

In the fall of 2003 I bought the smallest 2-stage I could lay my hands on, a Toro 7 hp 726 2-stroke. It has saved the bacon many times over the years although as I get older it is harder for me to horse this beast around. I would've wanted a single stage but my drive is 160 ft of gravel so that was a no-go. It has cleared everything from 4 to 18 inches with no trouble at all.

I love my single stage HS621 but I need the -perfect snow conditions- in order to use it. It's light, nimble, my go-kart.
It just doesn't like the wet stuff I get here living 1/2 mile off the ocean so the 2 stager is used primarily and then for deep down surface cleaning, I'll use the single stage to wipe it clean before a dash of winter melt overnight

Originally Posted By: boraticus
If a person has the room for two machines, a similar combination to the above would be ideal.

I also found the best solution to be one of each...a Toro single stage 2 stroke (with 163cc Rtek, love that motor) for most snow and an Ariens 2 stage for the big ones. Problem is I haven't used the Ariens in almost 2 years, unless the snowfall is a monster then the Toro is much faster and easier to use!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back