Jazzed Up My R.I.A. With Some New Grips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got sick of looking at the stock wood grips that came on my Rock Island Armory G.I. Model 9 MM, so I picked these up from Dan Eagle Grips. I had a tough time getting the old ones off. The screws were really tight, but finally came off without backing out the bushings. And the new grips needed fitting where the slide stop plunger is inletted into the top of the left grip. But I took my time with a riffler file and now they fit perfectly. Anyway, the gun looks a lot better. These grips are also thicker and fit my hand better. They also come with new gold plated screws and O-Rings, which is a nice touch.

BEFORE

AFTER

I did as well after I finally finished. After I got the screws out, the old grips wouldn't budge. So I field stripped it and found a clear piece of 3/8" Lucite rod I had laying around. Working from the inside through the magwell, first from the top, then the bottom, I kept gently prying until one side popped loose. Then it was easy to tap the other one out.

1911's are always an adventure to replace grips on. I always keep spare bushings and screws on hand, just in case. As well as a bushing removal tool and a tap.

Originally Posted By: billt460

I got sick of looking at the stock wood grips that came on my Rock Island Armory G.I. Model 9 MM, so I picked these up from Dan Eagle Grips. I had a tough time getting the old ones off. The screws were really tight, but finally came off without backing out the bushings. And the new grips needed fitting where the slide stop plunger is inletted into the top of the left grip. But I took my time with a riffler file and now they fit perfectly. Anyway, the gun looks a lot better. These grips are also thicker and fit my hand better. They also come with new gold plated screws and O-Rings, which is a nice touch.

BEFORE

AFTER

Those actually look really good. If you would have described them to me without me seeing them, I would have not thought they would.

Originally Posted By: Kira
What would the price of that 1911 be as it was? ....general, fair price...neither "priced to sell" nor "waiting for a pigeon".

I paid $357.00 out the door new from Davidson's when I bought it about 3 years ago. These are the grips:

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewood-Diamond-...8730&sr=1-8

They also come in faux Ivory and wood, if you prefer instead of Mother Of Pearl and wood. Shipping was fast. I got them First Class Mail in just 3 days.

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewood-Diamond-...8730&sr=1-6

That looks great! I think I might have preferred stainless screws to match the barrel, but I'm just nit picking.

And to think, you bought that 1911 without having to snail mail 18 forms, passing two NICS checks, and getting picked with a random number generator just to be allowed to purchase. Just messing around (mostly...)
smile.gif

How do you like the firearm? My wife has a smaller 9mm SA EMP that I really like, I've been thinking about getting a larger 9mm model if I don't throw my hat into the CMP 1911 ring.

I bought my RIA 1911 off of gunbroker in 2004, for $299 ($25 for local FFL transfer)

My local FFL had never seen one, and was flabbergasted I got it for $299.
I think he started carrying them in the case right after I picked up mine.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
.....How do you like the firearm? My wife has a smaller 9mm SA EMP that I really like, I've been thinking about getting a larger 9mm model if I don't throw my hat into the CMP 1911 ring.

I'm very pleased with it overall. It has the best trigger of any 1911 pistol I currently own.... Including my Colt Gold Cup. I can't say they're all like that. But if they're not, I certainly, "got a good one".

Originally Posted By: billt460

I'm very pleased with it overall. It has the best trigger of any 1911 pistol I currently own.... Including my Colt Gold Cup. I can't say they're all like that. But if they're not, I certainly, "got a good one".

Yeah, it's trigger is the 2nd best of my 5 1911's... I'm overall very impressed with the pistol.

One area where the Rock Island Armory guns unjustly suffer some unfair criticism, is their frames and slides are cast, rather than forged. I say "unjustly" because I'm not under the impression that has lowered their quality any, if at all. There are several high cost 1911's on the market today that utilize cast frames and slides. All deliver good quality, performance, and longevity.

Modern vacuum investment casting techniques have improved greatly over the last 20 years. To the point there is really little difference in actual measured strength in cast vs. forged. Ruger has proven this more than any manufacturer. Most everything Ruger produces today uses some from of investment casting. The receivers of the Mini 14, Model 77 bolt action, Red Label O/U shotgun, and even the #1 falling block rifle, (considered to be one of the strongest actions available), all use the vacuum investment casting process to create their actions. As do all of the steel framed Super Blackhawks, Redhawks, and GP-100 revolvers.

Springfield Armory uses investment cast actions on all of their M1-A rifles. And several other manufacturers today use investment casting to produce their weapons. Even MIM has come a long way in a very short time. It's methods and quality are very high. You rarely hear of a MIM part failing today. Even high shock parts like 1911 slide stops hold up well that have been manufactured by modern MIM methods.

So while some may still feel that anything but a forged part is inferior. That perception is fading fast, as modern investment casting and MIM methods keep improving. I don't feel RIA guns give up anything in the quality department because of their use of it.

It looks great!

Glad to hear that you’re pleased with its performance. You can pay a lot more for a 1911...but I doubt you can find a better value...

I think I paid $350 ish for mine, when I got them. Quite a bit of gun, for not a lot of money. The stock RIA grips leave a lot to be desired, though.

This is the . 45 Tactical, with some cheap GI grips I picked up at Wanenemachers for ten or twelve bucks. I also have one of the short barrel guns ( Commander ? ), but it must be at one of the houses.

I don't own a RIA 1911, but a really good friend of mine that owns a gun store with an indoor range has one for a rental. They have put tens of thousands of rounds through it with minimal maintenance and it has worked flawlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back