Should I replace this boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_20180106_133328499_zpswh397flf.jpg

Original inner boot, 11+ years old.

Looks like it's getting ready to split. The question is, reboot now or change out the halfshaft later.

I had one that looked like yours, it ripped, made a huge mess with spewed grease, and killed the half shaft. Replace all the boots if they look the same as the picture. This boot is on borrowed time.

Can you actually get replacement boot for this shaft?
Does the shaft need to be removed in order to install the boot or does it have a clam shell style boot?

How do you use the vehicle? If you travel long distances, I'd replace the boot or shaft. If you stick close to home with it, it could be a lower priority and keep an eye on it.

Originally Posted By: Donald
If you are going to pay a shop, it's probably better to have them replace half shaft.

^^^Exactly!

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Do the split boot kits work??

I've seen this video several times in the past and I can't find a single part# for any vehicle that I've owned during that time that I was shopping. A real shame as I'd love to use this product. Are they even in business any longer?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Looks like it's getting ready to split. The question is, reboot now or change out the halfshaft later.

01.gif

And if the inner boot is that bad, the outer boot is probably much worse, since the outer joint does a lot more movement. You may be better off just buying a reman axle

Raxles is the best brand to get if they make one for your car. Otherwise, get a reman at your favorite parts store with the lifetime warranty

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Do the split boot kits work??

Has been on sale since the late 90's and is complete garbage.
Unless you only need a temp fix until you sell the vehicle.

Also, you notice how the "quick boot" has far fewer pleats in it?
That's another great way to shorten it's lifespan.

Don't know what car that is but I'd regrease and install a new boot since you're not losing grease yet. Once that happens, debris gets in and compromises the joint. Aftermarket axles are a [censored] shoot quality-wise so I'm a proponent of saving the OE unit, if possible.

Last edited:
Yeah, to save the half shaft, replace sooner then later.

I wonder if there's a protectant you can wipe on the boots, say twice a year to keep
them supple so they won't crack for the rest of the life of the car!

I'm gonna look at my half shaft boots when I pull the brakes in a week or so!

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: Lubener

01.gif

And if the inner boot is that bad, the outer boot is probably much worse, since the outer joint does a lot more movement. You may be better off just buying a reman axle

Raxles is the best brand to get if they make one for your car. Otherwise, get a reman at your favorite parts store with the lifetime warranty

Raxles are the best! They don't make them for my application. Depending on your mileage and how long you plan on keeping that vehicle, you may want to replace the axle shaft.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

We don't know the make or mileage on this axle, but since it has not ripped yet, i would consider cleaning the outside boot, taking it off and putting on a new boot, being careful not to introduce dirt. Aftermarket axles can be a gamble.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

Yeah, to save the half shaft, replace sooner then later.

I wonder if there's a protectant you can wipe on the boots, say twice a year to keep
them supple so they won't crack for the rest of the life of the car!

I'm gonna look at my half shaft boots when I pull the brakes in a week or so!

Yeah there is. It's called "silicone spray". It comes as an aerosol and in a solid form in a tube. Simply slather some on a couple of times a year and your set! Also works great on weather stripping, and anything that's rubber that you want to protect/moisturize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back