chipset in HP laptop on Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an HP Pavilion 15" laptop on Amazon with a I7-8550U chipset. Its pretty fast chipset.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077HQZLH3/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

No model listed.

Go to HP website and they do not sell a 15" Pavilion laptop with a I7-8550U. Chat with HP and they said they do not sell it yet.

So is the reseller on Amazon changing chipsets? Changing something internal so it appears to have a I7-8550U when you display it. Not having the chipset and hope no one will notice or care.

The laptop is a decent price. My initial question was trying to find out the speed of the USB ports. That lead me to the HP website where I could not find a Pavilion laptop with the I7-8550U chipset.

Originally Posted By: Donald
My initial question was trying to find out the speed of the USB ports.

It's in the amazon listing you linked to:
Quote:
Ports: 1 x USB Type-C, 2 x USB 3.1

Interesting seller though:
https://trivalleyelectronicsandmore.info/
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Donald
My initial question was trying to find out the speed of the USB ports.

It's in the amazon listing you linked to:
Quote:
Ports: 1 x USB Type-C, 2 x USB 3.1

Interesting seller though:
https://trivalleyelectronicsandmore.info/
smile.gif

USB type-C is a connector type not an port type. You could have a USB type-C on a USB 3.1 or a USB 3.1 Gen 2.

The specifications for this laptop at the Sam's Club website says it has one USB Type-C 3.1 Gen 1 (Data up to 5Gb/s) and two 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Data Transfer Only).

With the two flaws discovered in all Intel chip sets from today going all the way back to the Windows 95 era, I'd wait on buying a new computer until the revised CPU's are available in them. Meltdown and Spectre. Here's a nice quote on the debacle:

"The average user shouldn't see significant performance changes from applying Meltdown and Spectre patches, except perhaps with processor-intensive tasks like video editing".

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
With the two flaws discovered in all Intel chip sets from today going all the way back to the Windows 95 era, I'd wait on buying a new computer until the revised CPU's are available in them. Meltdown and Spectre. Here's a nice quote on the debacle:

"The average user shouldn't see significant performance changes from applying Meltdown and Spectre patches, except perhaps with processor-intensive tasks like video editing".

Re-engineering a chip is a time consuming process. The first chips will go to Intel based servers which is where the problem really is.

I now think the person at HP I did a chat with was mis-informed. They do make laptops with the I7-8550U chip. May not sell them on how.com.

However seller on Amazon seems ?? as they will not respond with model number.

The model is listed on the amazon listing...

B077HQZLH3

I cant find out what the usb-c port is (2.0 3.0 3.1)
but I would guess 3.1 since it has regular usb that are 3.1

15.6 diagonal FHD IPS BrightView WLED-backlit display (1920x1080) Display, NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 4GB
8th Generation Quad Core Intel Core i7-8550U Processor 1.8GHz (Up to 4.0GHz with Turbo Boost) with 8 MB Cache
8GB DDR4 SDRAM,256GB SSD, 1x Multi-format digital card reader, Full Backlit Keyboard with 10-key numeric keyboard, Bluetooth
802.11ac (1x1), 2 x USB 3.1, 1 x USB 2.0, 1 x USB Type-C, HDMI, 1 x RJ45, Multi-Format Digital Media Reader, Headphone/Microphone combo jack, Wide Vision HD Webcam
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit, 3-cell Li-ion Battery,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back