2006 Acura TSX ATF Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally bought 2006 Acura TSX today with ~175k miles and let's just say 'stole' it legally
smile.gif

ATF is brownish in color and definitely planning to do 3x drain and refill, no apparent issues in shifting or anything.

First, should I do drain and refill? I believe it has never been done, would I damage anything?

Thanks for all advice and help.

How would new oil damage anything? That's just silly.

I recommend you start by doing one drain n fill and see how she shifts. If there's improvement in shift quality, proceed with another flush.

Originally Posted By: Artem
How would new oil damage anything? That's just silly.

I recommend you start by doing one drain n fill and see how she shifts. If there's improvement in shift quality, proceed with another flush.

Makes sense, I have done similar on 8th Gen Civic(155k) and after 3rd drain and refill it's shifting flawlessly...

But wanted to check before I proceed...
smile.gif

I strongly suggest you wait a while (and some miles) between services

I've heard of several Honda transmissions clogging there internal (can't change without a teardown) filters due to rapid cleaning

D&F, drive it maybe 5K, and repeat

It's easy to drain and fill since you have a drain plug, so no reason not to. In fact, it's even easier than an oil change because you don't even need to put a socket on the 3/8 bar
smile.gif

Maxlife is a great synthetic ATF at a good price.

Our 03 rsx and 05 accord 4cyl 5sp automatics have an external transmission filter. It’s about $20 for the Honda part. Order some aluminum transmission drain plug washers and a case of dw-1 while you’re at it.

Sounds like a respectable plan for the 06 TSX. Personally, I wouldn't do the 3x d&f procedure in any hurry. I'd do one d&f, put some miles on it, (~5-10k miles), then do another. But that's your call.

TSX specs Z1. I've been using MaxLife in two Hondas specing Z1, 7th gen Civic/3.0L V6 Accord original trans, 100k+ miles between the two using it. Both original trans, just single d&f's at 25-30k mile intervals. ML inexpensive when ordered online through Walmart, generally 2-3 business day store pick up.

As an aside, I really like that the first generation TSX, before they bloated it. If I could find a relatively low miles one in good shape, I'd be very tempted to buy one.

Thanks Sayjac and everyone.

I have many ATF quarts laying around(Acura ATF - DW-1) so will use them.

You are right, I plan to do 1 D&F, then drive for 1-2 weeks in stop and go traffic, as well as highway driving. Do a 2nd D&F and then finally 3rd one, if all goes well at next oil change.

I Service a lot of cars and always do either multiple drain n fills with quick sprints around the block or a proper oil pan drain and then drain the remaining thru the radiator oil cooler line. I obviously can't have people come back to me over the course of many months to complete a simple tranny fluid change. Haha.

If it's still the original Lube in there, definitely go easy with the flushes just to be safe but I can't imagine anything happening from fresh fluid. If the transmission has a good design and isn't caked with build up, new fluid will not shock it.

I agree with your plan of leaving the new fluid in for a few weeks to give it some time to maybe clean up the internals as it cycles thru.

If it was mine though, I'd replace all the old Lube instantly and then take it easy for a few hundred miles, not revving it high and slowly raise the revs as the clutches settle in with the fresh Lube and added "slippery-ness".

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
I wouldn't do the 3x d&f procedure in any hurry. I'd do one d&f, put some miles on it, (~5-10k miles), then do another.

That's how I did mine. I did a drain/refill. Did another in two weeks.

I did a trans OCI with Castrol synth AFT for Japanese imports..
my 02 TL was just screaming with that ATF... I couldn't get it out fast enough..

Opted for Petro-Can Duradrive Synth AFT.. and never looked back
J.

I’m surprised this was not mentioned. Drain and refill, then drive it around and go through all gears for a couple of seconds then drain and refill. Repeat before 1000 miles. There is your 3x.

congratulate on the purchase! we have a 2004 TSX is still in love with it!! we love how it drove. enjoy your 2006 TSX I believe it has some internal change that make the engine more lively than 20004/5 model.
I like the way my 2004 TSX drive with Maxlife ATF in it, crisp and precise. nothing wrong with Honda ATF-DW1, just as precise but not as crisp we currently having ATF-DW1 in the TSX (I can not find Maxlife ATF near where I live for over a year now.)

Originally Posted By: gogozy
congratulate on the purchase! we have a 2004 TSX is still in love with it!! we love how it drove. enjoy your 2006 TSX I believe it has some internal change that make the engine more lively than 20004/5 model.
I like the way my 2004 TSX drive with Maxlife ATF in it, crisp and precise. nothing wrong with Honda ATF-DW1, just as precise but not as crisp we currently having ATF-DW1 in the TSX (I can not find Maxlife ATF near where I live for over a year now.)

Thanks, I appreciate it. I read a lot about it and every one suggested to go with 2006/2007 years.

I plan to stick to Honda ATF, just to be on the safe side
smile.gif

We have been using Maxlife ATF on a 06 V6 accord - I did 4 drain and fills a few 100 miles apart.

The trans had 325,000kms on the OEM fluid. Never changed before.

The trans hooks up and shifts like a dream. We saw a big improvement.
Its been 25,000kms since the changes - zero issues.

The Honda fluid looked brown but ok for such high kms - - - 90% was from highway use.
It was a gift car from a family relative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back