Who else finds 'TR' Tamper resistant outlets...

Status
Not open for further replies.
rediculous?
I went to take a shower a couple days ago, and when I flipped on the ventalation fan, I heard the GFCI outlet nearby trip. I looked at it curiously and reset it. I played with the fan more and I could get it to trip by turning on the fan about 7/10 times. Which is interesting as the fan is not on the "Load" side of said GFCI. Just introducing some interference on the line side.

Knowing that its as old as the home, about 2001, I went to Lowes a few days later and bought a new one. It was a Eaton tamper resistant model. Putting in the new GFCI fixed the fan tripping issue, but when I went to plug back in the hair dryer, I almost couldnt. I could feel the wall giving as I tried to force the plug into the outlet.
I took it back out and returned it, finding a comparable non-TR GFCI outlet, also from Eaton, and bought that instead. I did notice as I was installing it there was a sticker not to install it in "Wet or damp locations per NEC 2008.blahblah" I had to roll my eyes; thats what a GFCI is for...?
Anybody else have this much trouble with these outlets?

I noticed this in my recently remodeled kitchen as well, sometimes the plugs wont go in at all, or i have to kinda wiggle/force them to pop in. it only seems to be with certin types of plugs though. My coffeemaker is easy, Shark vacuum hard.

I installed all the outlets in my house, and all are tamper resistant (Leviton). The key is to hit both trap doors concurrently when plugging something in. If you can do that, you'll have no problems.

Interesting, thanks for the tip. I wasnt sure how it could be tamper proof, but thatll stop someone from sticking someone in one side only, like me and a key when i was a child. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Audios
Interesting, thanks for the tip. I wasnt sure how it could be tamper proof, but thatll stop someone from sticking someone in one side only, like me and a key when i was a child. Thanks!

Aww, Its only 120VAC. Just give ya a little tickle. At least it isnt 240 like in Europe.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

Aww, Its only 120VAC. Just give ya a little tickle. At least it isnt 240 like in Europe.
crazy.gif

They take a little bit of breaking in then they will work good. Insert the plug straight. If the prongs are bent or messed up they won't go in so well.

The wet and damp locations ones have nickel plating on the contacts. They also label those WR for weather resistant. Required in any outside location.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

crazy.gif

They take a little bit of breaking in then they will work good. Insert the plug straight. If the prongs are bent or messed up they won't go in so well.

The wet and damp locations ones have nickel plating on the contacts. They also label those WR for weather resistant. Required in any outside location.

If it was me and I was worried about kids sticking things into outlets, I would throw a GFCI onto the head end of each outlet run, or install GFCI circuit breakers

Good to know about the difference with the WR units. Nickel plated contacts is a thumbs up from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back