Computer Reading Glasses

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a commercial on TV that offers reading glasses at, I guess, okay prices. I usually by my reading glasses at DOLLAR TREE. I usually wear a +1.25. When I'm on the computer for awhile, I have to switch to my +1.50 pair.
I was looking around on the interweb and found that there are computer reading glasses! Imagine that. First the invention of the wheel, and now computer reading glasses! What will be next, a 5W30 that is better than 5W20?
28.gif

Okay, I'm in unchartered waters with these computer reading glasses. Long story short, I have read about 2 different color coatings, yellow and blue. Which of the 2 is better for computer reading? Also, as I stated before, you know my glasses strength and why. Should I get the +1.25 being they are computer reading glasses, or the +1.50? And, any opinions on the yellow and blue coatings? Also, are there any other good reading glasses websites, preferably FREE shipping?

I have both reading glasses and distance glasses, but I don't wear them when reading the computer.
I prefer to read the computer at a distance of 30 inches away from my eyes with the fonts turned up to 18.

It really depends upon how far away you are away from the screen.

Most of what I have read is you go with less magnification for reading glasses used with a computer.

I just ordered reading and computer glasses from readers.com. I got yellow tint for my computer glasses. Not arrived yet.

Computer reading are for a distance further away than reading, maybe 24-28" versus 12".
If you have a choice between yellow or blue tinting, get yellow. It's a bit of a fad now.
There's already too much blue in today's PC monitors. Been too much for three decades. The yellow tint will block some blue (the blue tint will block magenta and yellow).

I sit at 16" from the monitor; I always am fighting with my optometrist to give me a pair cut for that, not for the 24-28" distance. I think the industry's not set up that way though.

By the way, I say it's a fad because I've been complaining the PC industry made terminals look brighter by choosing a color temperature that's blueish. Been that way for decades. If you get a good monitor you can choose 4200K as a color temperature, but those aren't the cheap-o monitors. Looks like "the fix" is the workplace buys the cheap monitor and you buy yellow-tinted glasses.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Computer reading are for a distance further away than reading, maybe 24-28" versus 12".
If you have a choice between yellow or blue tinting, get yellow. It's a bit of a fad now.
There's already too much blue in today's PC monitors. Been too much for three decades. The yellow tint will block some blue (the blue tint will block magenta and yellow).

I sit at 16" from the monitor; I always am fighting with my optometrist to give me a pair cut for that, not for the 24-28" distance. I think the industry's not set up that way though.

By the way, I say it's a fad because I've been complaining the PC industry made terminals look brighter by choosing a color temperature that's blueish. Been that way for decades. If you get a good monitor you can choose 4200K as a color temperature, but those aren't the cheap-o monitors. Looks like "the fix" is the workplace buys the cheap monitor and you buy yellow-tinted glasses.

I have an HP 15.6 laptop. I usually read about 16-20" away from it.
Is yellow being a fad the only reason to use them?

Yellow will filter out the blue. Human eye least sensitive to blue. Get the yellow.

Back when I was working at a LARGE multinational company, they would make us "computer" glasses with the bifocals or trifocals on the top of the lenses, not the bottoms.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
Yellow will filter out the blue. Human eye least sensitive to blue. Get the yellow.

Back when I was working at a LARGE multinational company, they would make us "computer" glasses with the bifocals or trifocals on the top of the lenses, not the bottoms.

Back in the day, like the early 90's and on, I had a filter screen that had arms to hold it on top of the monitor. It was a smoked black screen. It sure worked well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back