Windows 7 update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our old desktop running Windows 7 Pro would not start this morning. Turns out there was a "critical" update sent out at 1am. I restored it to the point before the update, and all is well. Just putting it out there in case anyone else has this issue.

Apparently it's that update that is supposed to fix Meltdown/Spectre vulnerabilities. I've read on line that some people had major problems with their system after applying this update.

Strangely enough, on my W7 Home machine that update isn't even available for install.

EDIT: Apperently some third party AV programs don't play nice with this latest Windows patch... I am running BitDefender Free and that is probably why I'm not even seeing this patch...

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-mel...icrosoft-patch/

Originally Posted By: Killer223
turn off automatic updates.
then install Linux.

When Windows 7 support ends for good, I will be hopping on the Ubuntu wagon. I did it once before, but then a job got me back on Windows.
I have sampled Win 8/10, and that is a non starter. Bloated junk. I have a free copy of Win 10 and I don't want it.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Our old desktop running Windows 7 Pro would not start this morning. Turns out there was a "critical" update sent out at 1am. I restored it to the point before the update, and all is well. Just putting it out there in case anyone else has this issue.

What was the update KB number?

Last huge security update I got for my Windows 7 machine was KB4056894 which apparent has some of the fixes for the processor security issue. My computer seems to run fine after the update was installed. I'm running Bitdefender Free and Malwarebytes Premium.

I just checked right now for any new Windows updates and found none.

Related thread: LINK

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy

According to this article, the computer shouldn't even be sent the update from Windows if the computer has anti-virus software that's not compatible with the update - LINK

It's just a matter of time before Microsoft develops a way where we are forced to use Windows Defender. because no 2nd party software / downloaded antivirus will be compatible with Windows 10 anymore.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
What was the update KB number?

Last huge security update I got for my Windows 7 machine was KB4056894

Yes, that's the one.

I booted up Windows 7 on my C2D mac for the first time in a few years. Had >1GB of updates, and the last four wont even start to download.

A whole lot of mine failed, it shows in the history that they failed, but there's no option to try again. Fortunately it still boots. Any ideas?

I'm no expert with Windows, but I gather you may have to "reset" Windows update, where you delete at least some of the history files from a command line and reload some of the pointers. There are a couple tutorials online. I had to do it once with 7, and it wasn't a happy time. Memo to self - write a batch file.

Has anyone noticed a slow down on their Windows 7 machine after installing Microsoft update (KB4056894) for the "Meltdown/Spectre" vulnerabilities?

I haven't noticed any performance changes. Or is it some other update that was supposedly supposed to hurt Windows performance?

Thanks for the link Pete. I don't do much "high power" use on my Windows 7 computer, so will probably never notice any difference in performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back