Williams floating chamber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow

Was an arrangement to give the shooter the recoil feel of the .45 chambering but with .22s for training.

How interesting... I didn't think that was really possible.

Yes It works. I have had the privilege of shooting the Colt Ace owned be a Colt collector . The 22 noise with the 45 acp recoil putsa smile onyour face.

CT8, great info, thanks.

looking down the page on the second page using the Browning Machine gun similarly equipped would be a freak-out.

I have an Ace conversion unit that I bought many years ago for my 1911 Colt. It does increase the recoil but it still is not at .45 level. My original floating chamber broke but I managed to find a replacement part which has held up so far. I don't use very much as I now worry the part will break again.

Originally Posted By: judsonj
I have an Ace conversion unit that I bought many years ago for my 1911 Colt. It does increase the recoil but it still is not at .45 level. My original floating chamber broke but I managed to find a replacement part which has held up so far. I don't use very much as I now worry the part will break again.

This is the biggest problem with the whole floating chamber design with the Colt Ace pistols. They are prone to breakage. And it's very difficult to find parts to fix them when they do. And with each passing year it becomes even more difficult, as parts for these relatively rare pistols continue to dry up. This is why most collectors who own them, rarely if ever risk shooting them.

And when they are shot, it should be done with the lowest power .22 ammunition that will reliably cycle the action. High performance .22 ammo like Stingers and Velociters should be avoided at all cost. The problem is people who do not understand the inherent weakness of the floating chamber design, will actually do the opposite, and shoot high velocity ammo to increase the recoil effect. Because as you mentioned, they don't produce the same recoil of a .45 ACP 1911. They produce more than most other .22 semi auto's. But not the same.

It is a collectors item and nict to have for the 1911 lover.

[/quote]It is a collectors item and nict to have for the 1911 lover. [/quote]

A collector's item? Perhaps I should see what I can get for it.

It is a collectors item and nict to have for the 1911 lover. [/quote]

A collector's item? Perhaps I should see what I can get for it. [/quote] they weren't cheap several years ago. Probably not enough $$$ to retire early . I have a some what minty 1976 Colt Gold Cup I have had since new and I am told it is collectible, its value seems to be equal to a new 1911.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back