Synthetic Brake Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

2000 F150 4.6 V8 - What is the total amount of brake fluid does my truck need after draining out all the fluid?
I was going to buy either valvoline or amsoil synthetic brake fuild.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lawnguy
2000 F150 4.6 V8 - What is the total amount of brake fluid does my truck need after draining out all the fluid?
I was going to buy either valvoline or amsoil synthetic brake fuild.

AutoZone's duralast brake fluid has the same specs as amsoil for much cheaper.
Thinking it may be the same stuff, just rebranded?

Link to discussing this
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4542936/Re:_Amsoil_dot_3_&_4_=#Post4542936

Last edited:
I use a pressurized brake bleeder that attaches to the master cylinder. It requires two (2) quarts of fluid be added to it's tank, threaded onto master cylinder fluid reservoir, and pressurized. Two quarts should be enough no matter what method you choose.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I feel trouble brewing with the fluid change.

What could go wrong after you pull the drain plug?

When doing a brake fluid job, you don't really drain all the old fluid before adding the new. Instead, you push the old out with the new.

That said, typically 1 qt is enough for a complete change on most cars and small/medium SUVs. But 2 quarts will assure you that there is plenty.

^^ That.

I sincerely hope you don't drain the brake fluid THEN fill. You're asking for more work.

To answer the original question I cant say for your particular vehicle but mine can't be more than 1/2 a quart in total system volume and that's all that I use in a normal change. Filling from empty is a different proposition as you can waste a lot trying to get all the air out.

The synthetic thing comes up regularly. Normal Dot 4 brake fluid has always been synthetic and the only change is the manufacturers started labelling it as synthetic for a marketing edge.

Valvoline brake fluid is good stuff at a great price. It is much more important that it is changed regularly than what brand you use.

A quart or liter bottle is usually enough for a flush. Speed bleeders are awesome
smile.gif

My 92 Oldsmobile took right at a quart. My 90 240 Volvo has 10 bleeders, and it used about 1 1/4 quarts. Advance Auto had their store brand brake fluid on sale, so that's what I used.

I used a Harbor Freight pneumatic brake fluid bleeder. Very good tool for a one man operation, but you do need an air compressor. Suck the old fluid out of the reservoir, and fill it with new. Then have at it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/brakes/brake-fluid-bleeder-92924.html

IIRC, a member here toured a brake fluid packing facility and saw different brand labels being slapped on bottles coming out of the same line. That said, I bet theyre are all identical or very close.

I use ST fluid. It's always cheap. A quart should be enough for you.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What is synthetic brake fluid?

Synthetic brake fluids are either glycol-ether products like Dot 3/4 or silicone products (DOT 5). Non-synthetic brake fluids include products based on vegetable oil or mineral oil. An example of the latter is Valvoline LHM. Most vehicles, but not all, use glycol-ether type nowadays.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
When doing a brake fluid job, you don't really drain all the old fluid before adding the new. Instead, you push the old out with the new.

That said, typically 1 qt is enough for a complete change on most cars and small/medium SUVs. But 2 quarts will assure you that there is plenty.

This ^^^.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back