Another Leather Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize most Leather Conditioner companies have proprietary formulas. Understood.

But in general terms, what is the difference among Obenauf's, Huberds, Chamberlain and Skidmore?

I know Huberds has Pine Tar as I can smell it. Is one more bees wax than the other? Chamberlain is very liquid and has a strong almond smell which is ok to me.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
But in general terms, what is the difference among Obenauf's, Huberds, Chamberlain and Skidmore?

Are you asking in terms of footwear? Boots & shoes?

Neats Foot oil recommend from the wife who's in the horse world. This is what's used on a 5k dollar saddle.

Originally Posted By: Finz
Originally Posted By: Gebo

Are you asking in terms of footwear? Boots & shoes?

Solely chemical makeup.

I think Obenauf's LP and Huberd's shoe grease are both beeswax based. My guess for Chamberlain's is some kind of Sweet Almond Oil mixture because of the smell. I really like the almond smell, happily, I've had no experience with cyanide...

I've always wondered what was in Lexol leather conditioner, here's the MSDS

Code:
Mixtures

Chemical Name Common name and synonyms CAS Number Percent %

Water or Hydrogen Oxide Purified Water 7732-18-5 70 - 80

Sulfated Neatsfoot Oil 68424-50-0 5 - 10

Oils, vegetable, Me esters,

sulfated Sulfated Sperm Oil 68648-42-0, 68424-75-9 5 - 10

Tall Oil Fatty Acid 61790-12-3 5 - 10

Originally Posted By: dave123
Neats Foot oil recommend from the wife who's in the horse world. This is what's used on a 5k dollar saddle.

Why cheap out..... use what the British Museum will put on million $ saddles.
RENWAX-z.jpg

Last edited:
Obenauf's changed my relationship with leather footwear. Simply excellent penetration and protection. Easy to apply with hand warmth. Most neatsfoot items are chemicals which actually breakdown the hide eventually.

The Renaissance Wax seems interesting, from what I read, it's great for its intended use, more of a protective outer layer, not as much of a leather conditioner. I'd be worried that it's a great long lasting polish, but doesn't deeply condition into the leather. Since it was created for museum use, it may have very different properties than for something made to actually be used everyday.

Seems that the micro crystalline wax is basically highly refined paraffin wax, petroleum based. Right or wrong, I like to use natural ingredients in the leather, thinking that the leather was a living skin.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Obenauf's changed my relationship with leather footwear. Simply excellent penetration and protection. Easy to apply with hand warmth. Most neatsfoot items are chemicals which actually breakdown the hide eventually.

Seems like it is just bee's wax and a natural mold resister. So if bee's wax does not condition (as mentioned above) neither does this product. For the record I do use and like Snow-Seal. Bee's wax, Sno-Seal, and Obenhauf's are acidic.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
The Renaissance Wax seems interesting, from what I read, it's great for its intended use, more of a protective outer layer, not as much of a leather conditioner. I'd be worried that it's a great long lasting polish, but doesn't deeply condition into the leather. Since it was created for museum use, it may have very different properties than for something made to actually be used everyday.

Seems that the micro crystalline wax is basically highly refined paraffin wax, petroleum based. Right or wrong, I like to use natural ingredients in the leather, thinking that the leather was a living skin.

Yea..I understand that but what is "conditioning the leather"? : A term used possibly wrongly to "preserve" it. And you could be right..it is difficult to remove. But it does work in to leather. I like it bc it is non acidic. So acidic is not really a good thinhg but it is "natural" . I am sure we will all use what we like.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Seems like it is just bee's wax and a natural mold resister. So if bee's wax does not condition (as mentioned above) neither does this product. For the record I do use and like Snow-Seal. Bee's wax, Sno-Seal, and Obenhauf's are acidic.

Al, there is so much contradictory information about leather care on the internet that it is nearly impossible to make any conclusions.

In reply to your "Seems like it is just bee's wax and a natural mold resister.", the Obenauf's site states:

"contains a blend of 3 natural plant oils, Propolis (an anti-bacteria resin from trees which is our key ingredient to resist mold, bacteria and most caustic chemicals), and 2 kinds of beeswax."

Google beeswax pH and you discover it is pH 7. http://americanbeejournal.com/beeswax/

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Al said:
Google beeswax pH and you discover it is pH 7. http://americanbeejournal.com/beeswax/

I remember researching both bee's xax and Carnuba and after a number of articles, I came away with the fact that both were acidic and that's why Renaissance was created. But you are right about misinformation.

The reason I was concerned is that I have 3 very expensive silver trumpets and a cornet. I needed to get it right. At the end of the day the Ren is very expensive but it will last forever.

Thanks for the info!

That's pretty interesting, so it does feel like it soaks into the leather? Maybe I'll try Renaissance out when I run out of Obenauf's, particularly on my dressier shoes. The "polish" part of the description is what threw me off. I use wax polishes on dress shoes, but that's usually a fine outer layer that I use after I condition it, and I admit, I don't completely know what it means to condition. My goal is to keep the leather pliable and prevent cracking, without it getting too soft where it doesn't hold the shape I want.

I had always assumed the wax part of the Obenauf's equation was more for the waterproofing, while the vegetable oils were for the conditioning, but like you said, we'll use what we want to use, and if it works, for you, can't argue with that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back