Crystal ball prediction for a GM 4L60E

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m debating what to do about my 2006 buick Rainier awd 4.2 with the 4L60E transmission. Truck has 192k original eng. & Trans. Both eng. & trans. Are running well and I feel like the engine could go another 190k. I’ve seen a few of these tranny’s go 160 to 190k then need a rebuild. I installed an oversized pan with drain plug around 50k & have changed out 5-6 quarts max life atf every 25k or so. Probably 80% hwy miles since new. Anyone seen these units go 250k+

If it runs good, just keep doing what you been doing. A used one if something does go wrong is easy and fairly cheaper.

Both my cars have a 4L60E, one has 120k on it one has almost 180k, no issues.

Then again the ones after 2002(?) I think are much better than the older ones.

If you don't tow or haul heavy loads with one, they seem like the newer ones aren't bad (and a Rainier isn't that heavy)-but they're really not meant for trucks, vans, or SUVs that haul a lot of weight. Keep doing what you're doing, at 192K you already have beaten the maximum mileage that any of mine made it!

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
I’m debating what to do about my 2006 buick Rainier awd 4.2 with the 4L60E transmission. Truck has 192k original eng. & Trans. Both eng. & trans. Are running well and I feel like the engine could go another 190k. I’ve seen a few of these tranny’s go 160 to 190k then need a rebuild. I installed an oversized pan with drain plug around 50k & have changed out 5-6 quarts max life atf every 25k or so. Probably 80% hwy miles since new. Anyone seen these units go 250k+

Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Is there a filter that can be replaced as well? I would do that every 50-75K is possible and clean out the crud at the bottom of the pan as well.

You're in a good place.
1) You maintain your trannie.
2) Even the old ones were not too bad(?). As mentioned, you have a newer one.
3) If ever it does die, there are soooo many out there any trannie shop can order a rebuild and swap your out in a jiffy.

Mine has right at 160k on it with no issues. A friend of mine has the 4L60E in a Trailblazer with 198k with no issues. They are a good tranny, i wouldn't worry if i were you just keep on going until something goes wrong then R/R.

I have a buddy with a 2003 Suburban. He bought it brand new and has done drain and fills on the transmission every 60-75k. It has 260k on it and still going strong.

I believe that trans was used in 3/4 ton trucks so it has to be good and strong, no?

I remember tending to a neighbor's 2001 Camaro. He let it get >1 qt. low and in a particular configuration (the position I first saw it in) it didn't go into gear for a full minute. That's when I checked the fluid.
I was amazed and angry (as I had no way to beat the owner-and get away with it).

It ran perfect with a full belly. They sold it

My experience is based on my transmission guy stating that literally every light duty 3/4 ton Chevy or GMC work van he maintained smoked the 4L60E by 150K, and my departed C1500 Suburban ('94, TBI 350) had a rebuild with the 7 clutch update due to the previous owner killing it pulling a 22 foot cuddy cabin boat regularly, even with the factory tow package, cooler, etc. In LIGHT duty non-commercial applications, I would think 250K would be possible-but a supplemental cooler and temperature gauge would be a VERY good idea.

Last edited:
My 2005 1500 Avalanche just rolled over 193,000 this week. Siphon and fill about 4 qts a couple times a year with Supertech High Mileage Dexron. Pan has never been off. Never towed. No problems yet.

I think you are in good shape. My 1997 GMC 1500 has 245000 on original engine and tranny and it has no problems at all. I did add a deep pan, spin on transmission filter, and a tru-cool 40k transmission cooler behind the condenser. I have towed a boat and camping gear (about 5,000 lbs) in 100* F temps up mountains and it ran great (always tow in 3rd). I also took it from CA to VA with no issues.

I have found if you keep it maintained and cool, it should last a long time.

They have been known to go 250K with no service at all under light duty use....Especially the 2005 & up with better (Dex VI) ATF.

Being behind a 6 cylinder & your taking care of it.....It could last a long time!!!

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst

Debating what to do in terms of what, replacing the vehicle or trans?

I wouldn't do either until problems actually arise. You've done all the right stuff. From what I've experienced, if you do *some* type of trans service at that 30-50K mile mark and then KEEP maintaining them, a higher than typical lifespan will result.

We have a 2004 5.3 Silverado at work that got close to 400K on the original trans. Lots of highway miles, stingy maintenance. A 2004 Sierra 5.3 at work got about 300K and probably would have been usable for a while longer, but the trans was replaced before it got really bad.

Fleet at work (and my job prior to this one) had a ton of these in fleet service in Express and S-10. Rare to see a failure, occasionally one would go out in the 100's, otherwise they last the life of the vehicle. I would love to know how many millions of these are in service.

I own two vehicles with this transmission. First one is an early 1993 c1500 chevy pickup. This truck probably has one of the first 4l60e transmissions produced. It has 270,000+ miles on it and still shifts like new. I recently coverted this transmission over to Dex VI fluid. Truck has towed boats and trailers on a regular basis. Second vehicle is a 2007 GMC Canyon. Truck has 200,000+ and it also is still performing like new. Both vehicles have had regular fluid and filter changes.

I also own 2, the Rainier & a 02 suburban. The burbs trans went out at 167k. Its nice to see several posts showing this trans going over 250k. I may keep it a while longer. This truck could never be the official vehicle of France, it just refuses to give up.

A friend at work has a 98 chevy 1/2 ton with this transmission and he has around 400,000 miles on the original transmission. I have the same truck with only about 135,000 on the original transmission and it still works fine but does whine sometimes. I have always done regular fluid changes on my truck.

Last edited:
Wow... can't get over how many of you are having long happy lives with 4L60's. I had a '98 Yukon with one and had nothing but trouble with it.
Now, I have an '09 Suburban with a 6L80E in it and that trans has been bomb proof. I've also read the contrary about that on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back