Best Western

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly enough, this is not a thread about hotels
smile.gif

There is a new movie "Hostiles" with Christian Bale coming out in a couple of weeks. In the ads, one of the blurbs is that it is "the best Western since 'Unforgiven'".

Now, up until 2010, I would have said "Unforgiven" was the best Western. Until the Coen Bros. "True Grit" came along.

What do all of you think?

I’m not a huge fan of Unforgiven... good, but great...?

True Grit... old and newer are great.

The new Magnificent 7: just awesome

The other Christian Bale movie with Russell Crowe (I think), Yuma something... that was reallly good

And the one with Robert Duval and Kevin Costner....??? Drawing a complete blank on the name but it’s fairly recent. Like that, too

Funny... Unforgiven: just doesn’t reallly move me

.... I was sure this was going to have something to do with the hotel
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Finz

The other Christian Bale movie with Russell Crowe (I think), Yuma something... that was reallly good

And the one with Robert Duval and Kevin Costner....??? Drawing a complete blank on the name but it’s fairly recent. Like that, too

Funny... Unforgiven: just doesn’t reallly move me

.... I was sure this was going to have something to do with the hotel
lol.gif

"Open Range" Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall. Good one.

Westerns don't usually trip my trigger, so to speak. But I did enjoy Butch Cassidy and also The Life And Times of Judge Roy Bean and Dancing With Wolves and Little Big Man. Other than those, I can't recall watching any Westerns in the last 10-20 years, and I probably won't see Hostiles any time soon.

I remember when "THe Unforgiven" came out.
It was if everyone had to say something AWESOMELY POSITIVE about that movie.
I thought it was a weak, superficially acted movie.
Also, the parade of stars (cast) was distracting.
Gene Hackman is old cheese.
Morgan Freeman is a GREAT voice.
Clint Eastwood is a stiff (sorry C.E. worshipers)
The punk with the hat (killed 5 men?) was garbage.

And what did everyone say about the film?.....Hey man, everyone in the story was unforgiven.....Huhh?

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Originally Posted By: csandste
Godless on Netflix is top flight.

Thanx. I'll watch it.

Yep, I never imagined Jeff Daniels in a role like this. Awesome.
Godless_series_Jeff_Daniels-768x420.jpg

We just got a Roku stick and some of the Netflix originals are amazing. Top notch scripts, scenery, acting. No commercials. This "new" venue is giving a lot of good, past-their-prime actors an opportunity to show their stuff.

Old school - Shane.

Didn't really like unforgiven.

I did like The Missing - Cate Blanchette and Tommy Lee Jones.

Django was pretty entertaining western / southern

UD

The westerns pretty much died with John Wayne. The only one I really liked is Open Range. The gun fight in that movie is one of the best ever imo.

If you really want to watch a great movie, check out The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Jimmy Stewart is excellent in that movie.

Originally Posted By: Finz

3:10 to Yuma-also one of my favorite newer Westerns. Unforgiven really didn't excite me until Gene Hackman's character started showing his true colors-business started PICKING UP!

Once Upon a Time in the West...my high school drama teacher used the opening scene to teach "non verbal acting".

The Searchers

Red River

Those are my top three. After 1970 not much to offer imo.

Liked Open Range. Only problem is the scene where the six gun fires nine rounds if I remeber the count correctly!

True Grit (2010)

Rooster Cogburn: We'll sleep here and follow in the morning.
Mattie Ross: But we promised to bury the poor soul inside!
Rooster Cogburn: Ground's too hard. If them men wanted a decent burial, they should have gotten themselves shot in summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back