Napa/Gates/Dayco Radiator hoses

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the process of replacing the radiator in my Corolla; top plastic tank got a pinhole leak that turned into a geyser. Went with a Denso replacement. Car has a tick over 200K; the factory radiator hoses still look good but since it will all be apart, I figure I'll do the hoses since I plan on driving the car into the ground.

The title says it all; those are my local choices for hoses. I've read Napa = Gates. What should I use??? I'm leaning towards the Napa since they are cheaper. My main concern is fitment and total diameter being equal to the factory hoses so I can reuse the factory spring clamps.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I'd probably go on Amazon and shop for some OEM hoses. Maybe even just leave them alone if they aren't soft or leaking. They can last the life of the car and are designed that way.

Throw those factory clamps in the trash! They are generally a 1 time use. Once removed they often let the hose leak. I work at a radiator shop and hate spring clamps with a passion! Get a quality screw clamp. Recheck it after a few weeks and your good to go.

I knew you'd say that Chris! I value your opinions, but in my experience, the factory spring clamps are the bomb. They never leak or need re-tightening. I always try and reuse them.

Do you have any input on the hoses?

Toyota hoses weren't particularly expensive for my Camry

Maybe $20 each

I like OEM on things that can jeopardize an engine (radiator cap)

Consider a variant of the worm clamp, the constant tension clamp

Available on Rockauto for reasonable $

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I knew you'd say that Chris! I value your opinions, but in my experience, the factory spring clamps are the bomb. They never leak or need re-tightening. I always try and reuse them.

Do you have any input on the hoses?

+1 screw clamps with the exception of constant tension belleville spring types are one of the worst things ever foisted on an industry.
When you start getting down below freezing they loose tension and leak requiring constant retightening and consequently damage the hose, its common to see the hose poking through the slits on screw clamps.

I prefer Gates or OE to Dayco aftermarket, one trick to reusing the spring clamps is to put them on the neck first then put the hose in the clamp as its going on. Getting the clamp over the hump is the most common problem when using aftermarket hoses.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I work at a radiator shop in sunny California where the temp rarely if ever drops below freezing

Fixed it for ya. You experience with screw clamps does not reflect their performance in other parts of the country especially where the temps drop below freezing and worse. If you worked in up here in skunk hollow you would have a trash barrel full of them.

Yea Trav; we get seriously extreme temperature swings throughout the year. If you installed a regular worm gear clamp in July when it's 95 degrees, come January when it's 10 below, it will be very loose.

For reference, this is the type of constant tension clamp that you DO want

21inaQqQ5wL.jpg

And this is the one you Don't want to reuse

41dbHFQbDqL._SX355_.jpg

If your willing to buy new at the dealer, they're great

Not so great as they age and get R&Red during repairs

This is BITOG, you always get more than you asked for here.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
The OP wanted opinions on hoses.

Same here.... I once was a skeptic, but now I love factory hose clamps.

I prefer Dayco over Gates anyday. They usually are thicker. Don't waste your money for OEM hoses..

Hoses should be good whatever you get..... As long as they stay dry and no oil contact, they are so good.

. My main concern is fitment and total diameter being equal to the factory hoses so I can reuse the factory spring clamps.
Thoughts? Thanks!

Reuse the factory hoses if they look okay.

They are likely better quality then anything found aftermarket these days and can last the life of the vehicle unless oil damaged and such.

I always reuse factory clamps as well, never had a leak. those stainless worm drive clamps chew up hoses.

Back to spring clamps. We stopped reusing them due to all the combacks when we reused one.

Sounds like installer error to me.
27.gif

Make sure you compare the new hoses to the old OEM hoses before installing them. I've had issues where aftermarket hoses don't have the appropriate bends to clear moving parts.

And about reusing spring clamps I'm still reusing the original 16 year old - 150,000mi spring clamps on my third water pump change (after the second one failed prematurely.) They are still good if they can fly across the road from poor gripping pliers.

I would have to say go with Gates or NAPA.

When I recently replaced the hoses on my 99 Silverado, I discovered that the Dayco hoses had a thinner wall thickness than the Gates hoses.

Throw those factory clamps in the trash! They are generally a 1 time use. Once removed they often let the hose leak. I work at a radiator shop and hate spring clamps with a passion! Get a quality screw clamp. Recheck it after a few weeks and your good to go.

What kind of screw clamp? I like the ones with the inner liner to keep the hose from getting smashed through the grooves. NAPA always has them.

FWIW, I finally finished up my Jeep this weekend and re-used the 4 constant tension clamps for the 3rd time.
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back