Castrol GTX MAGNATEC 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

I would love to get as much feedback as possible regarding this oil. Thanks in advance!

I screwed up big time when I didn't add five Jugs of this to my stash when it was on Rollback at Walmart for $15.88 6 weeks ago.

Last edited:
That must be why there in none on the shelves,,drat. Using Magnetec 5W-20 full syn my daughter did a 9400 mile oil change interval on her 2010 Ford Focus with the level barely moving on the dipstick. This oil change I used Valvoline Syn with Maxlife Technology in again 5W20 .The last 3 changes on my Ford F150 have been with Magnetech semi and full syn 5w-30.It is probably as good as any other oil. I like it because it is blended onthe higher side of its viscosity.

I have magnatec 5w30 syn blend in my escalade right now and it’s all good. Bought the oil at AZ clearance 2 years ago $10 / jug. I would use the full syn at $17 if I didn’t have a stash

I can't tell any difference between the Semi and Full Syn on the butt dyno.

As of now Castrol Magnatec 5W20 & 5W30 are both full synthetic. The 5w30 was semi synthetic at one time in the past. From what I read on here it shows good UOA numbers from those who had it tested. Never tried it but have the itch to do so. Priced under 20 dollars at Wally World in my parts.

Almost everyone that has used it has said their engines are quieter. Not a lot of UOA on it since it used to be a blend, but was changed to a full syn (for whatever that means) about a year or so ago.

I have a bunch of it in my stash, have not gotten around to using it yet.
For ~$18 at Walmart it is a good deal.

Good oil, but I personally boycott it since it is a BP product and their oil spill response. Just my stance.
smirk.gif

Although my DD fill cap has 5w-20, I been using PYB 5w-30 since before 50k and it has over 140k on the clock now.
Have a jug of Magnatec 5w-20 sitting in the garage. Might try it sometime since I really have no other use for it.
Son had picked it up on sale because I had mentioned it.

I have been using Mobil 1 ,and I have thought about switching to the 5w30 full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Originally Posted By: thorromig
As of now Castrol Magnatec 5W20 & 5W30 are both full synthetic.

What about 10W-30 ?

10w30 is a blend.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Originally Posted By: thorromig
As of now Castrol Magnatec 5W20 & 5W30 are both full synthetic.

What about 10W-30 ?

10w30 is a blend.

Yes the Magnatec 10W30 is a blend in both North America (NA) and Australia (OZ).

In NA it's SN & GF-5
In OZ it's SN & A3/B4

I have used the Magnatec 10W30 semi-synthetic in Australia and found it to be a very smooth oil via my butt dino.

It’s a favorite for Ecoboost owners around here. Lots of good UOAs on it showing it holds up well to the harsh environment inside those motors. I’ve got 30 qts in my garage that I’ll get to soon.

You can still get it cheap on Amazon as well.

After having run both the semisynthetic and the full synthetic 5w-30 magnatech, I prefer the semisynthetic. It seemed to keep my 3.5ecoboost quieter for longer than the full. I'm due for an oil change now and I'm thinking about trying out the black bottle edge.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
There is always the 10w30in semi

Yep. the Magnatec 10W30 SN & GF-5 is a semi-synthetic with HTHS = 3.18 cP, Noack = 6.95 %, KV100 = 11.6 cSt

Originally Posted By: Onug
It’s a favorite for Ecoboost owners around here. Lots of good UOAs on it showing it holds up well to the harsh environment inside those motors. I’ve got 30 qts in my garage that I’ll get to soon.

You can still get it cheap on Amazon as well.

Yeah that's what i've been seeing.

I think its what i'm going to run in my parents 1.6 ecoboost escape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back