Surefire Flashlights - Battery Drain in Storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two Surefire Fury PX2 flashlights (15/200 older style that looks like this:

that seem to drain batteries, even when NOT used.

Each flashlight uses 2 CR123A batteries.
The odd thing is that I never really use them, but they seem to drain batteries. I have them stashed around the house for emergencies and check them every 60-90 days and find that the batteries are ALWAYS dead, or near dead. This is true for both flashlights. I am using new Surefire brand batteries. This is with NO use.

I can't believe that this is normal.
What the heck?!

I have been keeping the "base" screwed in, so that the button on the rear of the flashlight can function without having to be screwed in first.
My cheap Duracell LED flashlights are outperforming these expensive Surefire lights in terms of "storage". [censored]?!

I am tired of buying expensive CR123A batteries for unused flashlights. Any thoughts?

Once the batteries start they die on their own once put in service. My Surefire does the same thing as well as my hearing aid batteries they last the same in use and die even when I remove them when not is use.

Some flashlights are known for excessive parasitic current drain when not running.

In general, I avoid any flashlight or battery with the word "fire" in it, although Surefire is US-based, so it should probably be en exception to this rule.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

In general, I avoid any flashlight or battery with the word "fire" in it, although Surefire is US-based, so it should probably be en exception to this rule.
smile.gif

LOL!
They were a gift a some years ago.
They are "expensive" flashlights, so I hate to throw them away or not use them. They also have a nice form factor. I do wish that the high-output setting was activated by the first press of the button on the rear. That would make them more useful as home defense lights.

Of course having a charge in the battery helps too!

the reason there are so many chinese flashlight companies with fire in their name is because of surefire.

it is like saying i wont own a Ferrari because of fiat or fiero.

Give Surefire a call. I have owned Surefire flashlights since the early 1990s and their customer service is pretty darn good.

The only time I have seen this type of battery issues is when the lights were stored in a hot location or the batteries were old to begin with.

It is good practice for flashlights in storage to remove batteries. All companies surefire or otherwise will say dont store.
Especially surefire is tailored for tactical so its expected that you are loading fresh batteries before each mission and tossing the partially used ones.
They also only officially recommend their batteries so thats a bit of a racket.
I personally use rechargeables so if partially used I can top off and don't just toss the partially used ones.

For storage you can untwist the tailcap and/or tube so the connection is physically disconnected and just connected by a thread. If the button doesn't turn on the light then the batteries won't drain.

Last edited:
Get a flashlight that takes standard cells and use Eneloop rechargeable battery. They can be stored for couple years before needing charge.

If you have the single stage tailcap tactical switch (press for momentary on, press further for constant on), then batteries are physically disconnected from the circuit board when the tailcap isn’t activated.

So rule out tailcap issue (clean everything thoroughly inside, check that the inside switch can go back to off position freely (sometimes the rubber is a little tight and pushes slightly the switch underneath). Better, call surefire to get a replacement tailcap for free.

With all that checked, remaining option is battery issue. CR123A of good quality (US or Japan made, green ring on the negative side) have an estimated shelf life of 10 years (build date is usually blind embossed on Surefire, Energizer or Panasonic industrial, or you have an expiration date on Duracell and some Panasonic), often even more if not exposed to excessive heat. Bad batch of batteries can happen too... You can also try using a rechargeable 16650 battery, but I’m not sure it will work, considering the voltage difference.

With all these options considered, sell your Surefire and buy a single CR123A (or rechargeable) HDS flashlight, and never go back to other flashlights
grin.gif

Most of my nitecore flashlights have parasitic drain, I remove the batteries when not in use.

I have a thrunite tn12 and despite being the cheapest flashlight in my home, it is my favorite. No drain there, even after months.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Quit buying CR123's and use a single rechargeable 18650 instead.

Do you have a brand recommendation for the battery and the charger? My Surefire L5 eats batteries.

Buy 18650s targetted for flashlights for least risk.

Nitecore or Fenix would be my recs.
same with chargers nitecore i2 or i4 or fenix chargers will be fine.

Some will say you can just get panasonics ot samsung which maybe the guts and same as above but there are so many Panasonic variations if you don't know what you are doing you will get the wrong ones or unprotected cells that you end up frying. Not worth it for just to save a few $.

Note there is some benefit and pros/cons to having two 18650s of lower capacity that tou swap rather than 1 expensive higher capacity. 18650. Ultimately if money was no option youd buy just the highest capacity, but id you are on a budget you will be fine getting two 2600mah or 3000mah instead of one 3500mah for your same $25.

Last edited:
I assume this is an LED flashlight, if so there is an issue, the LED circuit is not disconnecting or shutting down.

CR-123 batteries have a typical shelf life of 2 decades (20 years)
So its the flashlight or someone is scamming batteries.

I use, literally, 150 or more of these batteries on a monthly basis. Extensively used in security system sensors.
These system sensors send out a "ping" to the main control panel every 20 minutes to an hour, if the sensor is on a window or rarely used sensor, the battery will power the device up to 10 years supplying that "ping".
Of course, a door sensor that opens and closes all the time on a home will last up to 5 years or so and commercial building half that.
Anyway, something is wrong with your flashlights. :eek:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Quit buying CR123's and use a single rechargeable 18650 instead.

Do you have a brand recommendation for the battery and the charger? My Surefire L5 eats batteries.

Be careful, most Surefire using 2 CR123A won’t work with a single 16650. And most Surefire won’t take a 18650 (too thick).

I suggest Xtar chargers and any battery Panasonic/Sanyo based, or Sony, LG, or Samsung (in that order haha). Anything Japan made really. Usually battery makers use a Japan made cell, and a chinese made circuit board. Good brands like Eagletac, Nitecore, AW, Xtar, ... (in no particular order).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back