Snow Tire Life Span

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m certain I’ve seen this topic discussed but I’ll be darned if I can find it... I stink at getting the search function to work for me

Anyway... Do snow tires have a life span outside of tread depth?

I can’t recall if I bought my snows in 2010 or 2012 and, compared to my all seasons, they seem to be working fine. Plenty of tread left so, based on my driving, can easily get a couple more years out of these Firestone Winterforce on my accord. I be surprised if I do more than 3,500 miles on these tires over any given winter

Just wondering... do they deteriorate or lose their ability to perform based on time?

There will be a DOT code on your tires, which includes the year and week of manufacture.
Originally Posted By: Firestone Tire
The DOT tire ID number can be found on at least one sidewall. This identifies the manufacturing location, tire size code, manufacturer's code, and the week and year the tire was manufactured (for example, '0304' means the third week in 2004).

As to the lifespan, I’d examine them carefully. As long as there isn’t cracking of the rubber, I’m generally confident. Michelin recommends inspection every year after five, and replacement at ten years. I’m not sure about Firestone.

For winter tires as long as they arent stored in the sun or a HOT shed/garage

I think you are ok for about 10 years in service or until they harden and lose performance.

its not like the tire is baking in texas or arizona.

Winter tires aren't as good in snow once you get worn down to 5/32. In fact, most winter tires have special wear bars at 5/32 that show you when they're not as good in the snow anymore. Of course, this is in addition to the standard 2/32 wear bars required by law.

It also varies according to the type of winter tire used, how many warm days in the winter, etc. Winter tires wear quickly when it's warm.

Some winter tires have a different compound when you get down to 5/32. Some winter tires have an all-season compound below 5/32, and a standard winter compound above that.

At 8 years old, the performance of my current General Altimax Arctic is far from what it was when they were new, despite still having 8/32" tread left. I would say it went downhill after the first 4-5 seasons. My guess is their winter rubber compound has hardened over time and does not offer the same traction as before.

I have a set of Good Year Nordic’s that are on their 5th season. No cracks and still a lot of thread. My Cooper Discovery’s on my Suburban are on their last year as snow tires and are going to be left on this summer. New snow tires coming next winter.

SF

Last edited:
To provide adequate performance, snow tires are made of a softer compound than A/S and summer tires. With any tire older than 5 years I'd make sure they are still soft. All rubber hardens with age, even if properly stored. If in doubt show them to a competent tire tech.

I have 7 year old Blizzaks with under 6,000kms on them. They still look and perform like new. Stored indoors when not in use.

Unless I notice any cracks or problems I will use them until the tread wears out. They are said to have 24,000mi lifespans (36,000kms) due to the super soft rubber. But at 1k kms a year they may last the life of the car.

I remember in the early 2000's I drove a 1978 mercury cougar on tires that had sat for over 10 years in a back alley for a whole year before they started going flat. Rubber in and of itself is not biodegradable, the only risk would be from the oils drying out and the tires cracking.

Originally Posted By: mcwilly
I have 7 year old Blizzaks with under 6,000kms on them. They still look and perform like new. Stored indoors when not in use./
Unless I notice any cracks or problems I will use them until the tread wears out. They are said to have 24,000mi lifespans (36,000kms) due to the super soft rubber. But at 1k kms a year they may last the life of the car.

I remember in the early 2000's I drove a 1978 mercury cougar on tires that had sat for over 10 years in a back alley for a whole year before they started going flat. Rubber in and of itself is not biodegradable, the only risk would be from the oils drying out and the tires cracking.

Blizzaks have a dual compound, the outer top "useful" layer is a silicate impregnated compound that gets softer as the temp gets lower. It is approximately 50% I believe, there should be a wear bar. After that, they are no longer the Blizzak you used to have. 24k would be an extremely long life span, but hopefully you may make that mark. Some people only get 5 to 7k, but they daily drive them.

Originally Posted By: KneeGrinder
I have 7 year old Blizzaks with under 6,000kms on them. They still look and perform like new. Stored indoors when not in use./

Blizzaks have a dual compound, the outer top "useful" layer is a silicate impregnated compound that gets softer as the temp gets lower. It is approximately 50% I believe, there should be a wear bar. After that, they are no longer the Blizzak you used to have. 24k would be an extremely long life span, but hopefully you may make that mark. Some people only get 5 to 7k, but they daily drive them.

The WE and DM are dual compound, with the high snow/ice traction multicell-tube compound. Then under that it's just a normal winter high silica compound.

The LM series are just a winter high silica compound.

Mine are a bit older, the WS70.

Found this on edmunds.com:

"Carmakers such as Nissan and Mercedes-Benz tell consumers to replace tires six years after their production date, regardless of tread life. Tire manufacturers such as Continental and Michelin say a tire can last up to 10 years, provided you get annual tire inspections after the fifth year.

The Rubber Manufacturers Association says there is no way to put a date on when a tire "expires," because such factors as heat, storage and conditions of use can dramatically reduce the life of a tire."

Keep in mind automakers/tire companies are all in the business of making money.

In my uneducated opinion, I would monitor and run the tires until the tread depth is shot or performance is noticibly down. I would not base anything on a time or date.

"Carmakers such as Nissan and Mercedes-Benz tell consumers to replace tires six years after their production date, regardless of tread life. Tire manufacturers such as Continental and Michelin say a tire can last up to 10 years, provided you get annual tire inspections after the fifth year.

The Rubber Manufacturers Association says there is no way to put a date on when a tire "expires," because such factors as heat, storage and conditions of use can dramatically reduce the life of a tire."

In my uneducated opinion, I would monitor and run the tires until the tread depth is shot or performance is noticibly down. I would not base anything on a time or date.

They still make the WS line its WS80 now, and its a top notch tire.

As far as your uneducated opinion, its the same conclusion I have arrived to myself. I arrived there without any education either. I'm going on 6 years on the set of WS965's on my truck, they look almost new.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

The WE and DM are dual compound, with the high snow/ice traction multicell-tube compound. Then under that it's just a normal winter high silica compound.

I forget more than I remember. lol, there is always something to learn here on BITOG

I never heard of the LM series, I have, WS, and DM V-2's on the Subi

Originally Posted By: Finz
So, basically, it’s all about tread wear. And cracks.

Good to know... thank you

Production date! Vendors and tire companies will argue that it is service date. Germany for example requires from vendors to stop selling tires pass 6 months of production date. Then vendors send them mostly outside EU, Russia, Ukraine, Moldova etc. or the U.S. where laws are more laxed.
There is a reason why there is restriction on DOT sale.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

I think it depends which LM. I had LM-60 and it was dual compound. LM 25, 32 etc, high performance European versions are completely high silica, no doubt about that.

They still make the WS line its WS80 now, and its a top notch tire.

As far as your uneducated opinion, its the same conclusion I have arrived to myself. I arrived there without any education either. I'm going on 6 years on the set of WS965's on my truck, they look almost new.

There are complaints about new generation of WS and DM-V tires, mostly when it comes to lateral ice grip. I personally was expecting more from DM-V2 (far from being bad tire, just not living up to image). Also, since WS is go to tire among skiers here, talking to some friend they had same complaint. Car and Driver also was not favorable to WS-80.

Paul Walker's car crashed due to 90 mph corners on aged 10 y.o. garaged tires with reduced grip (TV / online race experts' analysis that my experience agrees with). So make sure you monitor them.

I generally only run tires 6 years, but winter tires are never driven in a hot harsh climate. I had a set of Blizzak WS-50 tires that went 10 years and still worked fine until they went past the "winter" wear bars, or just beyond 50% worn. It is probably the only set of tires I've ever not worn out long before 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back