Leather Conditioner for Boots, Jackets & Furniture

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have spent some time in trying to choose the "best" leather conditioner for all my leather stuff. Some conditioners seem to work better on boots and some seems to be better on furniture and some better on leather wallets and jackets. I have some Saddleback stuff and Redwing Heritage boots.

I've read mink oil is good. I've read mink oil is bad. I've read pine tar is good and pine tar is bad. Don't ever use a man made product. Only use "natural" products. Bees wax and propolis is the way to go. Olive oil is good and bad. Can't beat coconut oil. Etc, etc, etc...

I'm figuring some of y'all might have an opinion.

It depends on what you are looking for for waterproofing I have used both Mink oil and Snow Seal but you can overdue it with both. I have a pair of snow boots with leather upper that have Snow Seal that I treated 20 years ago and they look and feel fantastic! I also ruined a pair of boots putting to much on and the leather got dry and brittle. On that note I like Mink oil apply a thin coat then use a hairdryer to heat the leather and it will soak in. If your boots use Goretex do not use either! It will ruin the Goretex fabric if it soaks threw the leather.

I like leather shoes and leather winter boots, I do not claim to be an expert.

Mink oil is a good repellent, it will block a good amount of water from absorbing into leather. It attracts dirt and dust like crazy.

I typically use a synthetic "leather lube" that dries to a tack free finish.

Last edited:
I like to use Lexol Leather cleaner and then their conditioner to spiff up shoes. If there's any scuffs or anything I'll polish them with melotonin cream.

I typically use Obenauf's LP on my harder working boots, for dress shoes, I use Lexol to condition/clean, then wax to a shine. I use Chamberlain's Leather Milk on a leather briefcase and other small goods. I use Lexol for most everything else, sofas, car seats.

Skidemore's leather lotion is the best I have found. Made in small batches by hand and it's natural. Popular with Saddle shops....

Obenaufs on my boots and Brooks bicycle saddle. I have both the oil and wax, using the oil only occasionally. The fact that both Nick's and White's boot companies recommend/sell Obenauf's is quite an endorsement.

I used to use SnoSeal decades ago until I learned that it is made of wax and mineral oil, with no conditioners.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Obenaufs on my boots and Brooks bicycle saddle. I have both the oil and wax, using the oil only occasionally. The fact that both Nick's and White's boot companies recommend/sell Obenauf's is quite an endorsement.

I used to use SnoSeal decades ago until I learned that it is made of wax and mineral oil, with no conditioners.

Nicks and Whites recommendation for Obenaufs close the deal on my boots. They make some of the highest quality products on the planet. Would you use Obenaufs on Saddleback leather products? Saddleback recommends Chamberlain products.

Obbenauf's LP here as well. Have used it for years on work leather (duty belts, holsters and slings, boots, etc.). I've found nothing better, but I must admit I've never tried Chamberlain's products. It seems to be highly regarded as well.

Been using Chelsea Leather Food on my boots for years and years now. It's the good stuff.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I like to use Lexol Leather cleaner and then their conditioner

Pretty sure that's what I have.... lanolin based

Lexol conditioner is the only thing I've ever used on my leather jackets. One jacket is at least 25 years old and looks fine; no dryness or cracking. Prob won't matter a lot what you use if its made for that purpose....about like various brands of synthetic oils!

If you really, really, really, really are serious:
RENWAX-z.jpg
developed and used by British Museum.

But except for boots go with whatever. I use sno-seal

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Nicks and Whites recommendation for Obenaufs close the deal on my boots. They make some of the highest quality products on the planet. Would you use Obenaufs on Saddleback leather products? Saddleback recommends Chamberlain products.

I got into using the Chamberlain products when I got my Saddleback bag. I was happily using Lexol on everything before that. I'm not totally sold on Chamberlain products, but it does seem to work and smell nice, but I don't know if it works much better. When I initially bought it, I thought the Chamberlain's #1 did some kind of waterproofing, but I don't see it now. Looking back, I'd probably stick to Lexol to condition, and maybe try Chamberlain's #3 waterproofing on top of the Lexol, or just stick with Lexol and Obenauf's LP.

I mean't to say (above) use the Renaissance for jeverything except boots. Although who knows-it might do wonders there. Certainly would waterproof them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back