Why is Rotella the only non API Sx rated HDEO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Since there are plenty SN rated HDEO's, why not be the product that kept the good stuff
laugh.gif

Rotella does have an API CK-4/SN Multi-Fleet oil in a 5w30, T-6 Multi-Vehicle. The remaining lineup dropped the SN/SM rating likely because they chose not to lower the Phosphorus content to within API SN limits.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Rotella does have an API CK-4/SN Multi-Fleet oil in a 5w30, T-6 Multi-Vehicle. The remaining lineup dropped the SN/SM rating likely because they chose not to lower the Phosphorus content to within API SN limits.

Here it is.

SF

Yup the Multi-Vehicle formula would have API SN, but there was even a "press release" of sorts here some months back about how Shell basically said they were not going to seek API S* ratings for the rest of the Rotella line.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Which Rotella are you referring to. There is T4, T5 and T6.

SF

Their entire lineup. Everything used to be gas rated.

I did forget to mention the T6 MV 5w30 stuff on my OP.

Are they doping beyond the SN phosphorous limits on lighter grades?

Its not required to hit that 800PPM low ceiling for non-ILSAC oils IIRC.

Its Higher IIRC 1000 or 1200

I stand corrected by myself - I see API SN is at 800 now Same as ILSAC Resource conserving. EPA creep I suppose.
I don't recall reading this in the prelim Lubrizol spec release years ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Exactly. Since there are plenty SN rated HDEO's, why not be the product that kept the good stuff
laugh.gif

Well, Royal Purple did exactly that for years, and was mercilessly bashed for it.

(not aimed at you, BL)

Here it is.

SF

How do you find that product? It’s nice and all but nowhere to be purchased.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr

Here it is.

SF

How do you find that product? It’s nice and all but nowhere to be purchased.

Online @ Napa and O'Reilly

I'm not sure if Shell is the only one. There are some possible Delvac examples, but the sheets may not exactly be clear. Castrol has an E6 version in Canada that is also not SM or SN.

As for phosphorus, we have to remember this API rule applies only to 0w-30, 5w-30, and 10w-30 HDEOs, just like European A3/B4 varieties in those grades, which do not list SN or SM.

Hi @dlundblad, our apologies for the delay in response! Some Shell Rotella products were previously API Sx rated to claim gasoline engine spec for HDDEO through the waiver process covering the use of high phosphorus content oil on dual-rated engines. However, upon the introduction of the newer generation API CK-4 & FA-4, this waiver was eliminated and stricter upper limits for phosphorus content took effect for the API Sx ratings (API SN, for example, requires Phosphorus content <800ppm). Rotella oils well exceed the value needed for the API Sx spec and so it had to be stripped off from the labels and TDS. Hope this helps!

Originally Posted By: ChrisGuerrero
Hi @dlundblad, our apologies for the delay in response! Some Shell Rotella products were previously API Sx rated to claim gasoline engine spec for HDDEO through the waiver process covering the use of high phosphorus content oil on dual-rated engines. However, upon the introduction of the newer generation API CK-4 & FA-4, this waiver was eliminated and stricter upper limits for phosphorus content took effect for the API Sx ratings (API SN, for example, requires Phosphorus content div>

Is the phosphorus limit just for hdeo oils? Mobil 1 lists phos. 1000 for the 0w-40 and 5w-50, 1200 for the 15w-50, all are sn

Originally Posted By: ChrisGuerrero
Hi @dlundblad, our apologies for the delay in response! Some Shell Rotella products were previously API Sx rated to claim gasoline engine spec for HDDEO through the waiver process covering the use of high phosphorus content oil on dual-rated engines. However, upon the introduction of the newer generation API CK-4 & FA-4, this waiver was eliminated and stricter upper limits for phosphorus content took effect for the API Sx ratings (API SN, for example, requires Phosphorus content div>

And that is why flat tappet cam guys love Rotella. Good on Shell for keepin going, and who cares about the API rating for some engines
laugh.gif

The phosphorus limit is a requirement/criteria for meeting the API SN specification. The fact that the oil also meets CK-4 or FA-4 is not directly related.

You could very well have an older specification motor oil for gasoline engines with a higher phosphorus content than what is allowed by the SN specification. That would be a case of a PCMO that does not meet SN but is not for diesel engines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back