Oil Consumption Help on Dodge 5.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2003 Dodge Durango 5.9 oil consumption has me a little concerned it might have a Plenum Gasket issue.
Using Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30, topping off with Valvoline Maxlife Syn Blend 10w-30.

Oil Changed 5/13/17 – 91,317 miles
Currently 1/5/18 – 94,450 miles

So, in 3,133 miles I have added about 1.50 qts of make up oil (from my memory). Is this excessive? I have no leaks, no smoke at startup, no rough idling or on acceleration. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Truck runs great.

My 97 Ram with 5.9 uses almost the same, especially with 5w-30 synthetic. About a quart per 2000 miles.

With 10w-30 conventional or blend uses about a quart per 3000 miles.

I have 78,000 on my engine and have done the Hughes Intake manifold set.
I also replaced valve cover gaskets w/ Felpro.

I am more concerned with frame and body rust as this will send it to the junkyard. Engine runs great.

It might be start of the plenum gasket. Take the air intake off the throttle body and see if you can find oil in there.

Also try changing the PCV valve with a Mopar OEM valve. I haven't found an aftermarket one that is quiet, they all buzz, and the OEM one is quiet. It could be consuming there.

I have a friend with a 98 Grand Cherokee with a blown plenum gasket, he's burning 1qt every 200km. And you can tell as it blows blue smoke and has a missfire sometimes.
But if you got none of that yet, try the PCV valve first. Be careful pulling it out, the grommet hardens up on the valve cover and gets brittle, and the dealer is the only place to get it.

I had a Dodge 5.9 for a long time and it's picky on what oil it likes. I know that sounds crazy but it hated Havoline and burn oil like crazy. Castrol never use any.
I changed oil every 3000 miles back then. I d change the PVC and try Castrol or Pennzoil Conventional 10w30 and see if that works.

Thanks so much everyone. I just stocked up on Havoline 10w-30 Syn clearance sale...might have to switch to conventional and see what happens. I changed the PCV value with Mopar OEM. Will keep an eye on next OCI and report back with more accurate account. Thanks again to all.

Different motor/same motor Family in mine. My Ram in sig. never consumes oil/knocking on wood. I do know that it prefers 10W30 over 5W30 just by the sound & feel -- sorry if that sounds strange!! Try running your new PCV with a conventional SN rated 10W30 & see what results come from it. Good luck!!!

Yes, running 10w-30. On another forum, someone said a Dodge Tech said Plenum Gasket problems were on earlier model and fixed by 2003. Anyone know if that is true? Just curious. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back