Chance to purchase WWII M1911

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's correct. Old news and has been posted on before. If you want one get with your CMP. Cost is gonna be high even for the "fair" condition ones.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/cmp-plan-sell-army-1911s-reeks-power-trip/

“It’s hard to say exactly, but a good guess will be around $1,000 minimum,” he said. “One reason for this is that the 1911 is a very valuable pistol. Even though they may be shot out or busted up, we don’t want them falling into the hands of people who will just leave them in a glove box. We want a perceived value...

This is turning into a real joke. The main reason I moved to Arizona 26 years ago from Illinois, was to get away from their out of control, oppressive, vastly ineffective run away gun control. The absolute last thing that I need, want, or will tolerate, is going through a, "15 Step Program" that consists of all things, dual background checks of the exact same type, and more paperwork than it takes to purchase a house. Just so I can "qualify" to purchase a "shot out or busted up", surplus 1911 pistol that I myself cannot even select. All because the CMP, "wants to be careful" not to upset anti gun politicians, just in case "something should happen". That's the equivalent of hitting yourself on the head with a hammer, because it feels good when you stop. And it will accomplish almost as much.

They haven't officially set prices yet. But there has been enough written that all comes to the same conclusion...... $1,000.00 MINIMUM. Even if it's 25% LESS than that, it's too much. The 1911 pistol market is almost as heavily saturated as the AR-15 rifle market. With everyone and their brother producing new one's at a blistering rate. With most heavily discounted with sales galore. Keep in mind $1,200.00 buys new a BRAND NEW Colt Gold Cup National Match. So even $750.00 for one of these rattletraps is ridiculous. And remember.... These things were already paid for by the United States Taxpayers once already.

Originally Posted By: Al
Arsenal rebuilds,,probably over-priced

I certainly wouldn't want one "rebuilt."

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Forget it and buy a newer Kimber or newer Springfield the metal one used! Save a lot of work and expense to get one shooting right!

No one buys a WWII 1911 to shoot

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Forget it and buy a newer Kimber or newer Springfield the metal one used! Save a lot of work and expense to get one shooting right!

That may be, but why would anyone buy one of these? They were used up until the adoption of the M9. So, basically a minimum of 40 years. They were shot extensively, disassembled, reassembled with different parts, and shot more. I had to qualify with these back in the '80's and they were in really bad shape. There is no way they can have collector value.

Last edited:
Why go through all that just to end up with a beat piece for $1000?

Thinking a Kimber Classic is still the way to go if you need a 1911.

They'll all be WWII M1911, but will they be way mismatched?

Lots of companies made them, Remington Rand for sure, Colt, etc.

They could be real awful, compared to a used gun at a gun show you can check out before
buying!

I still think they’ll sell every last one of them, even though I agree with y’all that they’re going to be clapped out, overpriced, and you’ll get tired from all the hoops you’ll have to jump through.

So let me ask you this: Bill said he thought they’d still be way overpriced at $750. Assuming they are all beat up and worn out, what would y’all consider a fair price to be?

They might be doing a simple economic calculation. They aren't worth much as guns, so they might have to sell them at $100-$200 to sell all of them. But if they price them as historical items, they might sell 10% at $1500 each. Or perhaps 10% each year for the next few years. If it costs them $100 per gun to prep, handle the paperwork and ship each gun, it's clear that positioning them as historical firearms could be much more profitable.

There's a market for M1917 revolvers in the $650-$1500 range, depending upon condition. The 1911 is more iconic. I'm sure they'll sell a ton at $1000.

The problem with any or all of this supposed, "historic significance" that people say is, or else might be attached to these guns, is none of it can be traced. Traceability and the documentation that goes with it, is crucial for ANY firearm that has increased value through the history that is allegedly attached to it.

The only knowledge you have with any of these things, is who made them, and possibly when they were made. And even that information is doubtful because most all of these guns have been rebuilt. Many of them several times. And in the process have had their parts mixed, matched, and replaced by God know who. And God know where or when.

You have what amounts to 10,000 G.I. issued .45 pistols that have all gone through the U.S. arsenal system over a period of decades.... And the mechanical ringer at the same time. The purchaser has no knowledge of where they've been, who carried them, or which, if any "war" they were ever involved in. Or even if they'll work, or be safe to shoot when they get them. And you have no choice in the selection process. You're going to get whatever POS they happen to grab, and decide to ship to you. Can you think of ANY product you have ever owned in your life, that you paid $1K or better for, that you would have EVER agreed to purchase in this manner?

So in the end, (assuming you even get one after you have jumped through all of their ridiculous hoops), you will have paid close to, if not over $1K for a used up, shot out, parts blended rattletrap 1911, that you have zero knowledge of where it's been for all it's existence. It's much like adopting a homeless mutt at the pound. At least there you can choose which one you want, and it will cost you a lot less, and be in perfect health when you get it.

While that may be true, there is no guarantee the one you wind up getting was ever used in, or even carried by a soldier in WW II. Or any other war for that matter. U.S. military bases are full of pistols that never make it beyond the gate.

Surely they'll release more information and introduce a tier system for the quality of the guns.

They'll also have to provide some sort of guarantee that the pistols they sell are safe to shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back