WDYD?? DIY Maintenance Logs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of pure boredom and the fact that I have a "new" used car as of the end of last year, I was brainstorming how I would log my maintenance for this one. I have always kept a journal in my glove box for each car- logging date, mileage, description, etc..

I've considered using free invoice sites/software this time around,to make it look like a shop performed the maintenance (may benefit my taxes since I get $$ from my company throughout the year), but I feel like keeping it old school would probably just be more convenient.

So I beg the question- What do you do!?

Excel spreadsheet, kept on One Drive. Mine goes back to 2003, on about 10 different vehicles since then.

Accessible from my phone or any computer with internet access.

These days I use the FuelBuddy app on my smart phone, and myCarfax app on my smart phone. I scan paper receipts to pdf format as well.

I use the MySubaru app because service info from the dealers gets updated automatically...probably should figure out how to download the records locally at some point.

I started recording oil changes on the cover on the box top the filter came in. After awhile I recorded other maintenance items on them. Until I had a stack too thick to fit, I kept them tucked between windshield washer tank and the fender. Then Volume one got tied together and put in the glove box.

I use the same method I've used since I was 17 -- a simple handwritten log book. Even after 200K the documentation is no longer than 3 pages. I only put the basics in there... oil change, trans fluid change, tire rotation, etc.

with my previous car, I did the log book at first, mainly b/c i bought it from my brother, who had done such from day 1 with it. (does it with all his cars).
after a few months, I transcribed his records and mine into a spreadsheet.(not just maintenance, every fuel fillup- Miles on odo, miles on tank, MPG, Number of gallons, Price Per Gallon, total price paid, again,following his layout....)

when i sold that car, I gave up on those kind of records, and when i handed those records to my buddy's mom who was buying it, neatly printed out in a folder, and the files on a flash drive, she looked at me, asked what all that was, and proceed to laugh at the idea of keeping such records.(granted at that point it was a 9 yr old, 90k mile Neon she had just paid me $2700 for..)

now, I use the My Carfax site/app. now everything should show on the carfax report. even if the shops don't report, or if i do the maintenance myself...

I just use MS Word and record whatever was done to the car with the date and mileage. I have a folder for each car and keep receipts/ shop invoices in there. When I sold my '01 Ford minivan last year I gave the new buyer a printout of the maintenance/ repairs when I had it. I don't bother with fuel logs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kestas
I use the same method I've used since I was 17 -- a simple handwritten log book. Even after 200K the documentation is no longer than 3 pages. I only put the basics in there... oil change, trans fluid change, tire rotation, etc.

This is what I do.
I have a log book in every car but also record every fuel fill as well as calculated fuel mileage.
Simple and it works for me.

I used to write on the back of a Manila folder with receipts and stuff.

Now I just put everything in my Fuelly app.

It's all in my head. Rest assured, every vehicle under my care is living life at it's fullest.

If the time eve comes to where I'm selling a vehicle, they can check out my tool and oil stash.

Part purchases are either on my online retailer accounts or in a folder.

Last edited:
looks like Excel/GSheets or pen & pad are popular.

For those who mentioned they use it, what's the deal with the "myCarfax" app? If I input data, will it show up as a maintenance item when someone pulls a Carfax report on it?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Now I just put everything in my Fuelly app.

This looks interesting- especially given that they have a web interface. I haven't explored it yet, but you can enter in maintenance snapshots too, not just track fuel economy?

Originally Posted By: lugNutz
For those who mentioned they use it, what's the deal with the "myCarfax" app? If I input data, will it show up as a maintenance item when someone pulls a Carfax report on it?

Yes, including service by shops that don't report to Carfax that I enter myself just like I enter my DIY work.

There's access via a website as well as by phone app.

My wife uses Fuelly which is fine for mileage logs but lacking IMO for maintenance logs, at least the way she uses it. Her maintenance reminders are all set as OEM intervals starting from Day 1 rather than necessarily from last date of service, and interval reminders can't be customized to non-OEM for that make & model year at least that's what she's told me,

In both MyCarfax and Fuel Buddy, reminders are default to OEM but can be customized, and are set from date of last such maintenance. For example, my 2012 Ram 5.7L OEM O/FCI is 8,000 miles / 6 months, but 2014 MY and later is 10,000 miles / 1 year for the same engine. If I don't drive much in 6 months, like last winter was 2,000 miles while having multiple durgeries & chemo treatments, I'll reset my interval reminder for 10K miles / 1 year since I'm running synthetic oil & 10K mile rated mid-tier oil filters anyway, and am now out of warranty on the vehicle / powertrain. Similarly, I replaced the original basic OEM spark plugs with Iridium plugs and adjusted the interval reminder accordingly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kestas

I am the same way, I like keeping physical books for all of my cars, and I keep those books once I get rid of the cars too. I always buy a nice thick hardcover note book and I break it down into three different sections: oil changes, maintenance/modifications and detailing. I got this habit from my dad, who always keeps log books for his cars, only he used to be even more detailed as he used to write down every single time he filled the tank and calculated the MPG. His log books aren't that detailed any more though.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Originally Posted By: lugNutz

Yes, including service by shops that don't report to Carfax that I enter myself just like I enter my DIY work.

There's access via a website as well as by phone app.

This sounds pretty useful, but at the same time, concerning. Most people (not myself) these days rely on using a Carfax report when purchasing a used vehicle. Doesn't the ability for someone to go and enter in information on any vehicle dwindle the credibility of a Carfax report? It looks as though you can just enter any correct VIN number and save it as your car... case in point, I could browse through any dealership website, grab a VIN on a car, and enter a service performed to make the thing look like it fell off a truck lol.

Using the app for my maintenance still seems like it would be pretty useful, I was just thinking outside the box for a moment
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back