Inside Mobil1's Testing & Lab set-up, Annual Prot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Linctex

Yes... That's about what I was thinking.

It's marketing genius, and has been since day one.

I'm not sure if the advertising wizards worked their magic well on this one as most BITOGers seem to think the AP is not moving very well...the AP shelves at the WMs I frequent are always quite full!
I was one of the suckers who bought it and only ran it for 5kmiles (about 3 months), but that was because it was the only dexos1 Gen 2 5W30 I saw on the WM shelves at the time and I got a very handy $10 WM gift card as a prize for buying that stuff. It's not hard to use up a WM card as we always need TP, deodorant, cat litter, and dozens of other consumables. Counting the rebate, my net cost was about $40-$10-$12=$18, although I will also admit that plain ol M1 5W30 would have been cheaper with the rebate at about $11...didn't see bottles of that with the d1G2 license at that time, though.

Originally Posted By: KL31
In the game of monopoly this is the get out of jail free card or for car dealerships, get out of warranty free card. Seeing how engines seem to survive ridiculous fuel dilution that turn 20 and 30 grades into 16 grades, I wonder if some engines can move up and down multiple grades with negligible ill effects.

Exactly. Also, we can't forget the effects of climate. If I had 0w-20 in my car last week, at ambient temperatures, it would have been significantly thicker than a 20w-50 in New Mexico. We have fuel dilution that knocks 30 down a couple grades and turns 0w-20 into molasses. If a 0w-20 is okay here when it's -35, a 5w-30 is hardly worthy of a dire warning in the summer.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: tig1
Dire warnings? Do you mean engine failure? Engine damage? What dire warnings? Just askin.
21.gif

Yes, dire warnings about the warranty, dire warnings about engine damage that won't be covered by warranty. I get that I shouldn't use SAE 40 in a Saskatchewan winter and expect warranty coverage if something bad happens. But, using a 0w-30 in a nominal 0w-20 engine is not worthy of dire warnings, or warranty threats.

I get it about a 0-30, but you have to admit there are some here that think using a 20wt oil is really detrimental to their engine.

Sure, some think a 20 is detrimental. The point is, though, that engines are not that viscosity sensitive. If they were, you'd have to preheat your sump before starting the engine. We're not driving F1 cars; we're driving ordinary passenger vehicles.

Is there really a point for the M1 AP when they already have the existing M1 EP? It only covers you for an extra 5K miles. I wouldn't run an oil past 10K, let alone 15K or 20K. I just don't feel that my GDI engines would be ok in severe L.A. conditions, especially when I want to keep the factory warranty intact. I would run the M1 EP as it is cheaper and run it no more than 10K miles.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Is there really a point for the M1 AP when they already have the existing M1 EP? It only covers you for an extra 5K miles. I wouldn't run an oil past 10K, let alone 15K or 20K. I just don't feel that my GDI engines would be ok in severe L.A. conditions, especially when I want to keep the factory warranty intact. I would run the M1 EP as it is cheaper and run it no more than 10K miles.

This has been discussed a few times in the past. Given that 20/15=1.33, the cost of AP has to be less than or equal to 1.33x the cost of EP in order to make economic sense to the user. Obviously this isn't the case.

If you recall when AP was first released, it was priced at $49.98 for a 5 Qt jug at Wally World. It didn't sell at that price. Now it is $39.84 for 5 Qts vs. $28.68 for EP, making a 1.39 multiplier. If you have been paying attention, they tried offering it at $39.84 with a $10 Walmart card, or 29.94 and a 1.04 multiplier. There was a brief period where 0w20 AP could be purchased online at Walmart for $30 which is also a 1.04 multiplier vs. EP.

Keep in mind that the price to produce and distribute this oil has not changed since its introduction. What you are seeing is the marketing department trying to figure out what price the market will bear. Assuming that XOM supplies PAO to Amsoil, as is often stated here on BITOG, then they know the size of that market and are simply trying to take a big bite out of it. Why not sell that same base stock thru a larger channel with a higher margin? Marketing 101, my friends.

Last edited:
Or they can follow Shell’s marketing of PUP, the white albino deer and tell everyone that if you want it buy it online.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Or they can follow Shell’s marketing of PUP, the white albino deer and tell everyone that if you want it buy it online.

Pennz Ultra Plat... what an enigma

For as much as the Pearl GTL plant cost to build,
you'd think they'd promote it a little bit?

I'd guess they are selling as much as they are producing. The plant makes products other than just lubricating oil, and perhaps those products are more profitable than PUP. For all we know Shell might be losing money on every jug of that product and making it up elsewhere.

Strange because it worked for me.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Pickup didn't change the price for me, but I did notice there was $25 off anything for getting a WM credit card.

Originally Posted By: Richie
Strange because it worked for me.

Pickup didn't change the price for me, but I did notice there was $25 off anything for getting a WM credit card.

Maybe it depends on the location you select?
That's a good price if you can get it, although I don't think XOM has any rebates at the moment.

True that. I put in Valencia, CA and you get that incredibly good $16 price. Wow. Jealous.

I was just reading about the cost of that plant on another thread here. Shell went all in on GTL but whether they are profiting at all from it remains to be seen. It wasn’t all that long ago that they could not ship from Qatar. That must have stung a bit.

In my opinion only, Pennzoil Platinum will do everything 95% of drivers want from a motor oil. Ultra is overblown. The same can be said with Mobil 1 AP. It’s hyped and overblown. M1 EP will run just fine in all cases and AFE is no slouch either.

Now I have to put on my flame protection gear.

I've never used the Annual Protection one. I have been using the regular Mobil 1 synthetic.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
True that. I put in Valencia, CA and you get that incredibly good $16 price. Wow. Jealous.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Same for me using a Santa Clarita store!!

Hmmmm. I can't seem to get this to work, and I have tried about 5 Wal Mart stores. If I could get the 5-quart jug for around $16, I'd buy at least 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back