Which 0W-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, newly registered but long time lurker here.
I have a 2014 Ford Fusion 1.5L Turbocharged that calls for 5W-20 (specifically, motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend). For the duration of my ownership I have used either M1EP 5W-20 or Valvoline Synpower 5W-20 (I prefer the Valvoline because I run 7000 mile OCI and the M1EP is more expensive than Valvoline Synpower). I have an oil change coming up, and I thought I would switch to using 0W-20 because it should be basically the same as 5W-20 just give slightly more cold startup protection. I live in AZ so cold weather isn't really a problem, but I figured that cold startups are still cold startups. Now the question I am asking is which 0W-20 should I get, or should I just stick with 5W-20 because the benefits will be marginal? My local walmart has Valvoline Full Synthetic (previously Synpower) 0W-20 for $21.97, PP 0W-20 for $22.97, M1 AFE 0W-20 for $25.47. There are others, but I think these are the ones I'd be considering unless someone comes out with a better suggestion. I am going to use an M1 oil filter because I have one already, but I'm thinking about switching to Motorcraft for the future (thoughts on that?). Thank you all!

Your car and you will not notice any difference between 0w and 5w. 5w-20 tends to be cheaper.

I do question 5w-20 in a turbo engine. Did not Ford change the oil requirements for these engines not too long ago? I would check that out. My personal preference would be a 5w-30 since you are out of warranty now.

Any major brand will serve you well. Go with a dexos 1 gen 2 oil.

When I looked at PQIA viscosity data recently I noticed the 0W20 cold viscosity is actually a lot higher now than before, and it is about the same as 5w20.

I can't find both 0w20 and 5w20 in the same brand so I use different brands' data, but still as you can see this:

Castrol Edge 5w20:
Cold Cranking Viscosity, mPa s (cP) (ASTM D5293) 5851
Viscosity @40ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 45.25

Pennzoil Platinum 0w20:
Cold Cranking Viscosity, mPa s (cP) (ASTM D5293) 5884
Viscosity @40ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 44.28

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Your car and you will not notice any difference between 0w and 5w. 5w-20 tends to be cheaper.

I do question 5w-20 in a turbo engine. Did not Ford change the oil requirements for these engines not too long ago? I would check that out. My personal preference would be a 5w-30 since you are out of warranty now.

Any major brand will serve you well. Go with a dexos 1 gen 2 oil.

Thanks for your input. At my local walmart, 5W-20 and 0W-20 are exactly the same price for the same brand. I have looked into that, and even in the 2018 Fusions with the same 1.5L engine are still running 5W-20. However, in Europe the same engine calls for either 5W-20 or 5W-30. I'm not actually out of warrenty, but I'm not concerned about being denied a claim if that situation were to arise. If your reccomendation is a 5W-30 why not a 0W-30?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
When I looked at PQIA viscosity data recently I noticed the 0W20 cold viscosity is actually a lot higher now than before, and it is about the same as 5w20.

I can't find both 0w20 and 5w20 in the same brand so I use different brands' data, but still as you can see this:

Castrol Edge 5w20:

Pennzoil Platinum 0w20:

Are you looking at the 40C Visc or the CCS? Because the CCS numbers are measured at two different temperatures for those oils due to their winter designations.

If you want the oil with the least amount of VII in it, M1 EP 0w-20 or AP 0w-20 (the former is probably cheaper) is majority PAO and will have very little polymer in it.

You could run a 0w-30 with no issues. Of course, unless you live in Flagstaff, a 0w will not be of any benefit to you. The difference between 0w and 5w in pumping abilities is super tiny. Now if you lived where temps are below zero then a 0w makes sense.

Whichever grade you choose I would pick the d1g2 licensed oil as mentioned previously. Since you mentioned Valvoline, their Advanced Synthetic would be a good choice. Do would Pennzoil Platinum or M1.

I think the main benefit of some brands having a 0w20 requirement is to force people to use a synthetic instead of a "blend" or "conventional" that can go 10k OCI. If you are going to use 7k OCI, like PimTac said pretty much any name brand synthetic will do it well, but being a turbo 1.5L I'd use a Dexos1 Gen2 to "possibly" reduce LSPI issue, just in case.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Castrol Edge 5w20:

Pennzoil Platinum 0w20:

Are you looking at the 40C Visc or the CCS? Because the CCS numbers are measured at two different temperatures for those oils due to their winter designations.

Yeah, 5WXX is CCS tested at -30C (-22F) while 0WXX is done at -35C (-31F).
The CCS viscosities measured will be in the thousands of cP (different unit than cSt above).
40C is 104F!

I'm just throwing as much number out there as I can, mainly the 40C number is what I'm looking at. Didn't realize 0w and 5w use different temp for CCS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
You could run a 0w-30 with no issues. Of course, unless you live in Flagstaff, a 0w will not be of any benefit to you. The difference between 0w and 5w in pumping abilities is super tiny. Now if you lived where temps are below zero then a 0w makes sense.

Whichever grade you choose I would pick the d1g2 licensed oil as mentioned previously. Since you mentioned Valvoline, their Advanced Synthetic would be a good choice. Do would Pennzoil Platinum or M1.

I think the main benefit of some brands having a 0w20 requirement is to force people to use a synthetic instead of a "blend" or "conventional" that can go 10k OCI. If you are going to use 7k OCI, like PimTac said pretty much any name brand synthetic will do it well, but being a turbo 1.5L I'd use a Dexos1 Gen2 to "possibly" reduce LSPI issue, just in case.

How can I tell if its a Gen 2? Most bottles just have "Dexos 1" on them.

Originally Posted By: rclever2
If your reccomendation is a 5W-30 why not a 0W-30?

0w30 is as rare as a unicorn these days unless you mail order from Amazon.

You'll see Gen2 on the logo if it is Gen2.

Last edited:
Check the license # on the back of the jug. A dexos license # that starts with D is gen2. Right now a lot of companies have the gen1 logo but are gen2 licensed. My guess is that they are using up old bottles.

Nearest farm store like rural king or fleet farm. 0w20 synthetic dexos1 gen2 for $2-3 a quart. 7500 interval. Your car will not tell a difference between the over priced mobil 1 or a cheap synthetic. Spend the money on something else. My 2 pennies.

Last edited:
I'd go with 5w20 Castrol Magnatec on sale at WM right now for $17.88, norm $19.88. This oil is a full synthetic. Or as mentioned go to the Farm store for some Harvest King 0w20 for $10 a jug if you have one nearby. At least that's the price here for the oil.

I'm just throwing as much number out there as I can, mainly the 40C number is what I'm looking at. Didn't realize 0w and 5w use different temp for CCS.

You can cut the 0w-xx CCS numbers in half to see what they'd be at the same temp as the 5w-xx for comparison purposes.

Stick with the M1 EP if you want a synthetic (if you believe the SDS) - the other Majors aren't familiar "textbook" synthetics.

Id run a light 10W30 grade syn in there. QSUD comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back