Motorcraft Oil Filters - Upgraded Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I correct in thinking that Ford has upgraded their Motorcraft oil filters media to a blend of cellulose and polyester instead of just paper cellulose? If the media has been upgraded, can we trust that Motorcraft filters can now be used for up to 10,000 miles and/or 12 months to correspond with newer Ford vehicles allowable oil change intervals? See link below for details.

http://asset01.drivewebsite.com/Site/529...n_2014.pdf?v=49

Interesting bit of marketing. I've used plain (good quality Fleetguard) cellulose filters for 20,000 mile OCI's with no issues (sample reports posted to prove it). My only issue with plain cellulose is going beyond say 6 months. Nothing scientific about that but in a low mileage time based service I worry a bit more about moisture affecting the filter media.

I don’t know for a fact that Motorcraft has updated their filter media. I will say this, only Motorcraft or WIX/NAPA will go on my Ford. The reason is the base end bypass valve.

Originally Posted By: Baracoa
Am I correct in thinking that Ford has upgraded their Motorcraft oil filters media to a blend of cellulose and polyester instead of just paper cellulose? If the media has been upgraded, can we trust that Motorcraft filters can now be used for up to 10,000 miles and/or 12 months to correspond with newer Ford vehicles allowable oil change intervals? See link below for details.

http://asset01.drivewebsite.com/Site/529...n_2014.pdf?v=49

That Motorcraft pitch is old (looks like a 2004 date on it). I've seen that same pitch posted here many times throughout the years. Also note, it says they are 80% @ 20 microns efficiency on page 3. So zero proof of anything in terms of recent changes if any.

Originally Posted By: MParr
I don’t know for a fact that Motorcraft has updated their filter media. I will say this, only Motorcraft or WIX/NAPA will go on my Ford. The reason is the base end bypass valve.

How do you know ... tot links?

If you are replying to me, I don’t understand what it is you are trying to say.

Typo ... meant to say: "How do you know ... got links?"

In other words, do you have links that say/prove for sure Motorcraft changed the media formula on their oil filters.

Originally Posted By: PiperOne
Interesting bit of marketing. I've used plain (good quality Fleetguard) cellulose filters for 20,000 mile OCI's with no issues (sample reports posted to prove it). My only issue with plain cellulose is going beyond say 6 months. Nothing scientific about that but in a low mileage time based service I worry a bit more about moisture affecting the filter media.

Just as a counterpoint, Honda OEM filters have cellulose media and, based on the recommended every other OCI filter replacement schedule, could easily be on the car for 2 years and 20,000+ miles. So not sure the calendar time on the car should be of much concern.

Carefully read my original reply.

Got it.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
The 820s are the ones that tear No? Marketing works so well.

And a few other Motorcraft models.

Originally Posted By: Baracoa
Any concerns with moisture if using either a synthetic blend or a full synthetic filter?

Concerns in what way? IMO, no concerns.

You could go e core.

http://productguide.luber-finer.com/Home/PartDetail?partNo=PH2835&vehicleAttributes=Year||2017;;Make||54;;Model||659;;Engine||18613;;

Pros (to using Motorcraft):
--- Silicon ADBV, but many others like Fram Ultra have that.
--- Bypass valve near inlet - very nice!
--- Polyester is a nice addition to Cellulose media, yet I think others using some resin(?)
and Glass Fiber is better for filtering, dirt-holding mass before clogging, flow, and toughness.

Cons:
--- 80% efficiency is not that great. Fram Ultra has 99%+ at 20 microns comparatively.
--- Has the Purolator media-tearing problem
--- Price isn't especially cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back