Any Staple Cooking Dish Recipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this a global forum - people from all over the US, as well as world.

So was wondering, instead of 'googling' if anyone of you can share their staple recipe for making some chicken/fish/goat/beef/veggies? Of course, if it has been a recipe inherited - that would be rather awesome. Spicy and flavorful are key
smile.gif

Anything else you care to share, I'll bookmark it.

Thanks in advance
thumbsup2.gif

Last night we had a new blockbuster. 'Twas a recipe from Allrecipes.com which I modified.
In brief:
Microwave 2 medium sweet potatoes which you've halved for 8-9 minutes. Pell and cube them
Get 1.5 cups fresh cranberries

In a glass lasagna pan
2 big apples (I used Rome), 1 medium onion, 3 big carrots-chopped. Make a bed of these.
2 chicken breasts (man, those hormones make big chickens!) "covered in Bar-B-Que sauce" which I DO NOT buy. I used....
diced tomatoes, roasted red pepper, Cayenne pepper, Korean red pepper flakes, green bell pepper all blended together. Make up a cup.
Pour some where the chicken will footprint then easily lay the rest on the chicken.

Cover the dish with the cranberry/sweets mixture.
I needed 75 minutes at 375F. Covering with foil for the final 15.

Utterly fantastic. The liquid is sweet from all the apples but it's spicy too. Stupendously well balanced dish.

Allrecipes.com called it "Winter Chicken Bake" but I heavily modified the recipe. I do that with all their recipes.

enjoy

I'm a lousy cook but often make a veggie quesadilla when home for lunch.
-two tortillas
-Mexican cheese
-half cup or so of mixed veggies (corn, peas, green beans, usually lima beans--the el cheapo bag at Market Basket)
-bit of cayenne pepper (not too much!)
-lots of chilli powder

Once toasted on each side, I quarter and dab on Newman's Hot Salsa.

Wife makes a mean pizza. Bread from the bread machine (some sort of mostly white bread), Contadina sauce, Market Masket pre-shredded mozzarella cheese. Nothing else. She also hates corn meal so the pizza stones only use a bit of flour to prevent sticking. She takes hers as-is but I'll put a bit of oregano and hot pepper on mine. Awesome Saturday night dinner.

My wife has a new roast pork recipe which is decent. Never was much of a roat pork lon fan until this came along. Ill try to get it.

OTW I love Prudhommes Andouille and chicken gumbo. Hard recipe - even for experienced cooks. We sub hot Portuguese sausage for the andouille

when I was a kid I loved making hot dog hash in the skillet. Good shovelin' food and One place ketchup tastes good on top.

Pile it up and shovel it in!

From the other thread...this is probably my favourite meal of all time. (Mum made it when we were kids as cheap and healthy and great leftovers)

a couple of tablespoons reheated (in a pan, not microwave) on a slice of toast works great for breakfast. leftovers with rice nuked at work for lunch. And I could literally go 4-5 nights a week eating it.

(Oh, I really like it).

lb of decent ground beef. browned in oil (coconut best for flavour).
couple of decent sized onions, wilted in the browned mince.
1 tablespoon decent curry powder
1 packet of chicken noodle soup
2 tablespoons soy sauce.
2 big carrots, cut however you want them
Water, dry sherry, marsala, saki, chinese cooking wine or whatever takes your fancy, just to add a simmer liquid. Needs enough liquid that it's bubbling, not dry, but not wet.
half a pound of beans (long green things) cut into about 1.5" lengths
Couple of bell peppers sliced same size as the beans.

Then add half a head of shredded cabbage (red or white, chinese cabbage if you like, or a packet of kale).

Cook until the cabbage is cooked.

Serve over rice (we cook 2 lb at a time, cool in frodge over night to retrograde the starches, and freeze in ziplock bags).

Leftovers keep for 3-4 days. If they last that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back