Trouble relaxing when I'm off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm self employed and whenever I have time off I always kind of feel guilty like I should be doing something. There is always work to be done, but you have to relax and enjoy yourself too. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just happiest when I'm working if that makes sense. I've talked to other self employed people and they've told me the same thing.

I get the same way. I'm not self employed but I had a week off for Christmas. It was too cold to get out and do anything and we didn't have anywhere to go. I never thought I'd say this but I was happy to get to go back to work. I just get stir-crazy setting in the house all day.

Still glad to have a week off though!

I get the same way. Not self employed, but on my days off I seem to get my errands and house work done by noon and then have nothing to do.

I've turned to game shows and Judge Judy. There's only so much you can do when it's -10 outside!

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I'm self employed and whenever I have time off I always kind of feel guilty like I should be doing something. There is always work to be done, but you have to relax and enjoy yourself too. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just happiest when I'm working if that makes sense. I've talked to other self employed people and they've told me the same thing.

I'm the same way. I work with some guys and they have time to do nothing, but really they do nothing around the house and they aren't the type to fix their own cars. One guy has no kids, own's a sport bike and a 1977 Vette. Rode the bike once this past summer, said he almost wiped out on it turning on a low speed corner, so never rode it again and does nothing with the Vette.

He doesn't even change his own oil on his vehicles. He said he's got a fear of vehicles falling on him while he's under them.

He asked me about buying a blend door motor for his Charger from Rockauto. He was worried the website would be a scam. I'm sure he'll order the blend door 6 months from now and take 5 more months installing it.

I'm glad I take care of stuff myself and don't leave it to others.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
You ever think about a new line of work?

No I love my work.

I'd consider becoming a volunteer doing something. A big brother, habitat for humanity, meals on wheels....?

I'd consider becoming a volunteer doing something. A big brother, habitat for humanity, meals on wheels....?

^^^this
M.O.M.,

with your landscaping experience and getting to know some construction/rentals/management people in your area , you may be on the path to more stable work...

also construction experience would help you when you get your+spouse place...

Might I suggest you begin a workout regimen, IF you currently do not. You could join a local health club for a trial period before possibly buying some equipment for home use ?? If you are social, the club setting may work better and extend your circle of friends. I prefer home workouts- do it anytime of day/night, catch up on ESPN, etc. You could become a runner- requires no real investment, can do it almost anytime, etc. I ran almost daily for nearly 20 years, even living in the Midwest. You start easy and work up...it takes little time and is an excellent stress reliever. Your endorphin's surge and you feel great afterward.Recent research indicates that only a few minutes of cardio per day provide good protection.

Like you, my brother is self-employed and begins his day early enough to sneak in a quick elliptical workout and work on a ball for his bad back.It helps him relieve stress, keeps him in pretty good physical shape (thus extending his working life) and it helps him qualitatively pass the time, since he is single. He works until late in the evening writing reports so early morning workouts are necessary, before he is off to his first job.

For those of you who are "antsy" when not working every second, you might give this a try in the new year. It helps you burn off extra energy, is healthful for mind/body and a productive use of your time. I have adopted a workout regimen daily over the last 34 years and it has helped me immensely. In my former job, I had to take required physicals every six months and maintaining good health was critical to remaining employed.

Best wishes.Give it a try- you have everything to gain and pounds to lose...
grin.gif

Not self employed...but was at one time. I generally get extremely bored when I have more than a few days off at home unless I have a project or task to complete. My hobbies (fishing/boating, scooter riding, hiking with dogs, touring local areas) are mostly done during periods of nice weather. Around here it rains much of the winter and is cold enough to make me pass on the hobbies. I used to be able to workout quite a bit, but due to body injuries, only walking is doable now. So that makes boredom during the winter a regular issue. My wife and I had almost two weeks off during the holiday and nearly went nuts!

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
You ever think about a new line of work?

No I love my work.

You could probably argue that you're not really working then. Which is best case scenario for making a living!

Seems to be against the grain of most posts here but... I love not working. I don't mind my job, even fun at times, but there are so many other things to do in this world than work till ya drop.

There's always something to do around the house or with the vehicles. When thats all done then you need to go exercise too.

I don't believe boredom is a valid state of being -- it just means you're putting off something that needs to be fixed or cleaned.

I find that I rest better when most things are in good working order.

I've got a friend who somehow lives in absolute filth and disorganization. It has affected the friendship somewhat since I don't really visit him much but at the same time he has the gall to criticize me for being too organized and clean.

On days like today with 4 kids home since school(s) closed due to a measly -20F windchill temp, I can't WAIT to go in for my 4pm-4am shift!

Depends on your personality type. If you are an A then you like staying busy. Nothing wrong with that if you don't mind.

Hey madman, maybe you should consider responding to your last thread about eating out instead of starting another one that you probably won't respond to either? You have the time to start this one you have the time to engage in the last one. Bored? Lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back