Pennzoil oil filters, I don't hear much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that they are (at least they used to be) made by Purolator.
I'd not bother with them as it hasn't been proven that they don't tear. I'd use a Wix, Fram, OEM, or something else first.
And I definitely wouldn't hunt them down.
Just my two cents.

In 1974 - 1975 I worked for the Pennzoil distributor in my home town unloading trucks & rail cars, filling orders, etc. One of the products that was stocked and sold were the yellow, Pennzoil branded oil filters, that were sold to service stations, independent garages, some car dealerships, etc. I do not recall who made them for Pennzoil, but we always got them from Pennzoil.

As I recall, back then, just about every oil company and chain automotive service center (BF Goodrich, Goodyear, Firestone, etc.) had their own brand of oil filters that were used in service stations. I remember seeing Atlas branded filters and products used at Standard and Amoco Oil stations, Phillips 66 branded filters, Mobil, Texaco, Fina, Conoco, Skelly, etc. Same was true for batteries, tires, wiper blades, and other high volume parts.

Over the years,

I have seen Pennzoil oil filters that were repainted Fram and Purolator... but no others.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Purolator made, they tear...

...............^^this^^
That's why I choose Fram or Wix. If either start tearing or faulting in other manners, I'll discontinue those also..

I saw them as "odd stock" in discount stores. I figured they were probably just average at best.
Now I want to go back to "National Wholesale Liquidators" and see what they're selling. I'll post what I find on this thread.
I didn't think about Pennzoil's own service centers.

I remember buying one for my sister's '88 Jeep. I used it during the last oil change before selling the Jeep as it looked cool in the engine bay.
All the other "user serviceable" parts (washer filler, dipstick etc.) were yellow.
Ahhh....the artist in all of us.

Thanks for the replies, folks. I'll likely just stick with Fram TG's for my vehicles. (13 Ram hemi and 17 Impala 3.6)

I don't think Purolator makes all of the oil filters for Pennzoil. They may make the yellow filters commonly seen at Jiffy Lube, etc. But I'm pretty sure that Champion Labs makes the Platinum oil filter for Pennzoil. Silver in color, synthetic blend media, comparable to the Mobil 1 and Castrol SFX filters. These are available for less than five bucks at www.servicechamp.com if you have an account.

I ended up purchasing 4 Fram Tough Guards from CDN Tire yesterday. They are currently on sale for $9.99 each. I grabbed 2 long versions for my Ram and got a rain check on one of my wife's as I purchased the last one they had.

I thought there were 2 versions, long and short for her 3.6, but only 1 showed on Fram's website and the same with the store computer. Maybe it's the Ultras that have 2 versions or one has been discontinued?

Regardless, I am good to go for next year for both vehicles now.
cheers3.gif

The 2006 Buick Lacrosse 3.8l had a Pennzoil filter on it when I changed the oil yesterday . Think the dealer we bought it from this last summer , had it serviced at Firestone , across the street .

I replaced it with a Tough Guard from Walmart .

Both were short filters . Do not think there is enough room for a long filter .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back