Any harm running Castrol edge 10/40 in diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As usual I stock up on auto zones end of year oil clearance and they only had this Castrol edge 10/40, I know it’s a great oil but will it harm anything in a diesel? One of my vehicles is a 7.3 powerstroke that I’d like to put the cheap oil in. I’m familiar with the detergent additives difference but this motor never turns oil black anyways.

Does it carry any diesel API certifications? If not, I wouldn't run it. HDMO is frequently used in PCMO applications - but not the reverse.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
Does it carry any diesel API certifications? If not, I wouldn't run it. HDMO is frequently used in PCMO applications - but not the reverse.

Just because the petrol spec oil didn't PAY for diesel certification, doesn't mean the oil won't work.

If anything, I wouldn't run it the typical length OCI but trim it down a notch just in case the oil can't handle the soot as well (although I'm willing to bet it will handle it just dandy).

Run some 5k OCIs and consider it a cheap flush. Hahah.

The diesel oil have the "C" rating like CJ-4 or CK-4 newest.
Gasser oil have the "S" rating like SN, SM, etc.
It is not based on viscosity.

The diesel rated oil have the soot dispersant which float the soot in the oil, hence, diesel oil becomes black fast if it is doing its job.

Just a little bit thing that I have learned from BITOG.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: Alex_V

Just because the petrol spec oil didn't PAY for diesel certification, doesn't mean the oil won't work.

If anything, I wouldn't run it the typical length OCI but trim it down a notch just in case the oil can't handle the soot as well (although I'm willing to bet it will handle it just dandy).

Run some 5k OCIs and consider it a cheap flush. Hahah.

Yes that’s what I’m thinking. Both engines internally are the same as a car and this diseases have [censored] near the same architecture.

The oil will keep the parts seperated and not kill the engine but it may not have enough anti foam for the best operation of the HEUI injectors as the worst thing or have the TBN reserve.. My wife has a 2002 7.3 and the manual says something like that. There used to be available anti foam additive you cauld buy . Check the 7.3 diesel websites. I would select a HDEO to run in my wifes 7.3. Give the oil a try.

I would only use it as a top-up oil for the diesel. Not the correct add pak. Good enough base oil. But, those injectors are touchy about lube. Not worth the headache if one decides it's not happy ...

Originally Posted By: BlackBeard

Yes that’s what I’m thinking. Both engines internally are the same as a car and this diseases have [censored] near the same architecture.

A diesel engine with fuel injectors that get actuated by high pressure engine oil, has greater bearing loads, has a turbo exposed to much higher temps/speeds and, generates soot......YA..that's the same as a car gas engine...

This oil doesn't have anything close to a diesel spec, let alone anything Ford would be happy with..especially in the 10w40 grade. Lots of better syn and conv oil choices for you.

no, don't do that. you're trying to save a few bucks but it might cost you big bucks when something goes wrong.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PiperOne

A diesel engine with fuel injectors that get actuated by high pressure engine oil, has greater bearing loads, has a turbo exposed to much higher temps/speeds and, generates soot......YA..that's the same as a car gas engine...

This oil doesn't have anything close to a diesel spec, let alone anything Ford would be happy with..especially in the 10w40 grade. Lots of better syn and conv oil choices for you.

There’s many car engines that run even higher temperature turbos, bearing loads, you name it. I’m asking for anyone that is familiar with the oil composition. Not people just reading out of an owners manual. I run many different oils in different applications based on ad packs with no ill effects, this has a high TBN and high anti wear additives so unless you can provide an educated response please leave the opinions out

FWIW, it’s an A3/B4 (gas and light duty diesel.) so it’s wrong to say it doesn’t have anything close to a diesel spec.

There’s many car engines that run even higher temperature turbos, bearing loads, you name it. I’m asking for anyone that is familiar with the oil composition. Not people just reading out of an owners manual. I run many different oils in different applications based on ad packs with no ill effects, this has a high TBN and high anti wear additives so unless you can provide an educated response please leave the opinions out

OK, sure. To me though, the educated person is the one who knows what specification his engine requires and then finds an oil that carries that specification. The reverse is coming on an Internet chat board and asking if an oil that does not carry the specification is acceptable for use. I don't know about you, but I am incapable of determining whether an oil meets a certification standard via spec sheet data or a VOA, but perhaps you are able to do so. I only know that when an oil states it meets the spec then it meets the spec. Maybe that's just me.

Based on your response above I think you've already made up your mind, right? Is the problem that the majority of the responses here didn't agree with what you wanted to hear?

Way back in the Stone Age before the internet and BITOG, I used 10W30 Exxon Superflo in a Chevy 6.5 pickmeup for my winter oil change.

Went to check the oil level a few weeks later and there were little balls of soot on the dipstick. I learned to use the properly rated oil. I got lucky and had no problems for many years afterward.

Never again for my diesel. I’m done did learn from my mistake.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

OK, sure. To me though, the educated person is the one who knows what specification his engine requires and then finds an oil that carries that specification. The reverse is coming on an Internet chat board and asking if an oil that does not carry the specification is acceptable for use. I don't know about you, but I am incapable of determining whether an oil meets a certification standard via spec sheet data or a VOA, but perhaps you are able to do so. I only know that when an oil states it meets the spec then it meets the spec. Maybe that's just me.

Based on your response above I think you've already made up your mind, right? Is the problem that the majority of the responses here didn't agree with what you wanted to hear?

x2

Although a 6+ quart sump at $2 a quart is certainly work a UOA on behalf of BITOG.

Originally Posted By: PiperOne

Sorry then. My "opinions" are from being a fleet manager and certified diesel tech for the last 20 odd years and before that the son of one. I have seen gasoline engine oils put in diesels..some GM 6.2's in fact..pretty basic engine. My "opinion" is that wiped out camshafts and stuck rings are not desirable. I have seen HUEI injectors fail from the wrong oils being used...my "opinion" is they are expensive to replace and failed equipment is not fun. I did go look at the oil specs before I responded btw.

I have also learned that using Euro oil specs as some kind of approval to very American engines is not all that smart (and vice versa). Some little Benz car engine is a long way from a Ford/International.

But hey...why not play lube engineer...believe that your Powerstroke is the same as a car engine..it's your engine not mine...but that's just my opinion

Considering good injectors for our trucks still cost in the neighborhood of $300 a piece, I wouldn't risk it. 7.3 injectors are touchy things as it is, best not upset them.

FWIW I’ve ran Mobil 1 in my international 7.3 idi at extended intervals with no ill effects. For the poster that mentioned wiped out camshafts you must not be familiar with the fact that all international 7.3’s even the gun 6.2 you quoted use roller tappets. Same as most cars nowadays. As for spot my 7.3 powerstroke keeps the oil golden brown for 2k + miles so spot is of little concern. I have two of these powerstroke a and am going to put it in one and will let you guys know how it does. I’ll even send off a sample and see how it’s held up. But based on VOA of this oil it has great composition that unless a diesel uses some kind of steel that differed from every other engine out there I expect the same great results I achieved running Mobil 1 in my idi 7.3 at 15k oci with bypass filtration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back