Replacing a 24 yr old Sound Blaster Speakers with

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got this SBS38 speakers back in 94 as a "multi media kit" for my 486. The 3x SCSI CDROM and the 16 bit sound blaster ISA card have both been dead and obsoleted. This speaker march on with my Sound Blaster Live (because it has enough output power for the speaker without an external power source) until around Windows 7. I found this kX audio driver project that keeps the Sound Blaster Live going until this week when the card died.

So now I am plugging in the speakers to my motherboard (MSI-880G E45 with AMD Phenom II X4) and it is of course not powerful enough for it. My option is to either buy a powered speaker (new or used), or another sound card to keep powering it (risky if the card is suddenly not supported one day). My guess is a reasonable priced power speaker (no need for woofer) would be sufficient.

Any recommendation? Priority is durability (another 20 years would be nice), low noise (don't want hissing when not in use), and size (no larger than a 64oz orange juice carton each), and price (around $20 or less, used is fine). I will tolerate some power use but nothing that will be power hungry enough that is warm to touch when not in use.

Am I being reasonable? Oh, beige would be better match for my Enlight 7237 case (bought in 97) and Samsung SyncMaster 900NF (CRT), I can live with black or silver but please, no blue LED or anything crazy.

Last edited:
Is this a vintage computer setup for a reason? Or are you simply a user of a very old computer?

There are plenty of great speaker choices today.

You're using a CRT monitor yet concerned about the size and energy consumption of your PC rig? That's really funny. CRTs are terrible on both of those points.

If you want a sound card with a built in power amplifier or anything made of beige plastic, you will have to go vintage. Those things simply aren't made any more.

USB speakers like the Logitech S150 could be a good option. They're simple to hook up and a self contained system. USB ports will probably be around longer than 3.5mm jacks.

Don't expect a lot at the $20 price point. Used speaker sets, some even beige, are common in thrift stores.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mk378
USB speakers like the Logitech S150 could be a good option. They're simple to hook up and a self contained system. USB ports will probably be around longer than 3.5mm jacks.

But the fact that they are USB-powered is also their downside, IMO, since they'll sound rather weak.

They're OK if you're sitting right in front of them. Clearly they won't rock a house party, but no $20 speakers will.

If i was looking for speakers in that price range i would probably get yhe logitech z200 for around $25

I was just cheap, and this computer is used probably around 20 mins every other day. When my daughter starts using PC at home I'll upgrade to an LCD/LED monitor. I need to wait till they are both out of kids bed so I can reclaim some space for a proper desk though, right now it is sitting on some vintage IKEA computer desk ($10 craigslist) at a corner because my real desk is taken apart and in storage. I don't mind using more power during on time but if when it was off it takes lots of power then it is a concern.

I'll be sitting in front of it, and I can drop the beige requirement.

So I guess thrift store first or craigslist? That HP USB powered speakers look promising if I need it new, oh how has HP fallen these days....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back