15 GTI EA888/ Castrol 5w40/ 9458mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another UOA on the GTI. Silicon went up, I did clean the air filter probably halfway through the OCI (APR Carbonio Intake). Have been driving on some salty roads lately.

Might make a switch to Motul/LM and see if they hold up a little more as far as viscosity. Thoughts?
cpHtp0l.png

Last edited:
Fuel dilution is causing viscosity drops, however metal wear rates are normal.
Agree with lab OCI could be extended further.

A magnetic oil drain bolt should do WONDERS for that iron count, in my honest opinion.

Weird why viscosity is taking a beating. Could just be the oil not holding up to the abuse. 10k looks like a good place to call it quits but it is "technically" possible to go longer, if you want.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Fuel dilution is causing viscosity drops, however metal wear rates are normal.
Agree with lab OCI could be extended further.
I guess the whole oil thing is the parts were kept seperated by the oil. We jack around runnng after some number or the latest article we find to read whether fact of internet fiction, but in the end it is the bottom line of keeping the parts seperated.

Thanks for posting this! My GTI has the same engine, and so far I've been using the same oil. I am only at 12k miles, but have been changing at 5k intervals. At 15k I was planning on doing a UOA. Do you drive your GTI fairly hard with that tune?

Originally Posted By: Artem
A magnetic oil drain bolt should do WONDERS for that iron count, in my honest opinion.

Weird why viscosity is taking a beating. Could just be the oil not holding up to the abuse. 10k looks like a good place to call it quits but it is "technically" possible to go longer, if you want.

It's a weird plastic drain plug VW uses. I used an extractor on this OCI.

I think 10K is fine too, especially since that is the VW recommended OCI

Good zinc at 1020 ppm and a nice retained TBN of 3.6 after ~ 9,500 miles.

Viscosity at ~ 10.5 is now in the 30 grade range. I'm guessing fuel dilution.

I'm with Artem above, you could go further, but why bother, 10k miles seems a good time to change the oil.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Thanks for posting this! My GTI has the same engine, and so far I've been using the same oil. I am only at 12k miles, but have been changing at 5k intervals. At 15k I was planning on doing a UOA. Do you drive your GTI fairly hard with that tune?

My wife daily drives it and she is not a tortoise. I think the fuel dilution is a result of the short commute to work/cold weather start ups.

Car has seen its fair share of road trips, whenever I drive, I like to get on it. We don't baby it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back