2011 Chevy 2500hd LML Duramax 14,380 mile oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackstone lab report for my 2011 Chevy 2500hd 6.6 LML Duramax with 96960 Miles. Oil used was Chevron Delo 15w40 for approximately 14,380 miles, with a Mobil 1-303 oil filter. This is my second report on this vehicle/engine. Oil was changed with Rotella t4 15w40 at time of sample. I’m not worried about slightly elevated potassium but would like to hear from you guys. I will test this sample again next spring when I change the oil filter mid-oci.

Mods, I also posted this where it should only have been; in the UOA section, please delete if necessary. Thanks

NOTE- two duplicate threads were started; merged files for one conversation (Mod dnewton3)

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I might try Chevron Delo in my Duramax but not after seeing those iron numbers. Why is it the UOA's I've seen for Chevy diesels show such bad iron readings?

Until diesels hit the 200,000 mark, i personally do not consider them to have broken in yet. These levels are of no concern to me.

Overall decent report.
- Fe is not an issue; it tracks with heavy use and miles. Mine was similar level with HARD towing use this past time. This is what happens when a diesel truck is used like a diesel truck, and not a commuting ride. I would presume that the slight uptick in Fe and Al are simply indicators you're loading the engine like it was designed to be used?
- The insolubles are not out of control by any means; they suggest at limit of .6, but when you look at that value and the slightly elevated vis, you're starting to get some oxidation escalation. Not at all harmful at this level; just an explanation as to the effect you're seeing.
- Regarding the K, not sure what to tell you. Need to look into what coolant you're using and see what it's elemental add's are.

GM does not publish condemnation limits, but other major diesel makers and services (DD, Cummins, Chevron, etc) limit Fe between 100-150ppm.
JJ - you need to re-calibrate your scared-o-meter. See page 11:
http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/Publications/Documents/UsedOil/2008020.pdf

Last edited:
I definitely loaded the engine harder the last half of the oci, but not from towing. Going from 90% highway driving while commuting, to driving mostly stop and go city driving, with many of them being short trips not getting up to temp. I drove very spirited, with a few too many full throttle runs. I’m enjoying the tuner I have for the truck.

Originally Posted By: Too3zln
I definitely loaded the engine harder the last half of the oci, but not from towing. Going from 90% highway driving while commuting, to driving mostly stop and go city driving, with many of them being short trips not getting up to temp. I drove very spirited, with a few too many full throttle runs. I’m enjoying the tuner I have for the truck.

Any idea how many hours are on this OCI? How many hours/miles total on the truck? We have a 2016 lml, following the OLM I'm going about 7,500 miles and roughly 500 hours between OCI's. I'm using ck-4 delo 400 15w40, I usually have to add about 2 quarts between oil changes.

Last edited:
It shows the mileage just shy of 97,000 on the lab report. As far as hours on the OCI, I have no idea. I will look on total hours for the truck in a few hours.

pretty typical for your truck; average 33 mph. That's very common; rang is probably 30-40mph as an overall macro range.
my Dmax has 52k miles with 1400+ hours.

Last edited:
You guys are worried about an iron reading of 38 on 14k miles?? My MB v6 diesel had 60ppm iron on 9500 miles running Mobil 1 5-40esp. Testers didn't even flag it. I didn't like it so I've reduced my oci.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
You guys are worried about an iron reading of 38 on 14k miles?? My MB v6 diesel had 60ppm iron on 9500 miles running Mobil 1 5-40esp. Testers didn't even flag it. I didn't like it so I've reduced my oci.

The most important thing is to understand how any equipment performs in a sense of "normal" wear.

Cutting the OCI down may or may not reduce the wear rate. Never confuse a magnitude of particulate ppm with the rateat which it's generated.

I'm not saying you did anything wrong. But unless you've got substantial, repeatable proof that anything improved in terms of wear rates, you may not have done anything "right" either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back