Autozone PLATINUM battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually buy gold, but just noticed that they make a platinum.
What's the difference between this and gold?
Any one with first hand experience on the platinums?

Considering the "DuraLast Gold is between $140-$170 around here....

DurALast Platinum is probably in the same price range as an Optima?

The Duralast Platinum is the JCI-made AGM

It is the same battery as AAP's Autocraft Platinum, but AAP has the better price once discounts are factored in
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The Duralast Platinum is the JCI-made AGM

Is that a better battery than the Gold, or does it depend on application?

NAPA has a new Titanium battery that's in even better than Autozone's Platinum.

Pep Boys is coming out with a new battery that has a Red Ruby to mark the positive post and an Amethyst to mark the negative post. They originally planned to use diamonds, but diamonds have no color.

Originally Posted By: lukejo

What's the difference between this and gold?

More money

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The Duralast Platinum is the JCI-made AGM. It is the same battery as AAP's Autocraft Platinum, but AAP has the better price once discounts are factored in
smile.gif

I'll wait until walmart starts carrying it.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko

Pep Boys is coming out with a new battery that has a Red Ruby to mark the positive post and an Amethyst to mark the negative post. They originally planned to use diamonds, but diamonds have no color.

grin.gif
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

The group 35 AGM from AZ is likely made by East Penn... Strange. But true. Exact same case as the Napa and O Reilly's group 35 AGM battery. Which are known to be made by East Penn. Only one in the lineup that has a totally different case.. From the other sizes where they clearly look exactly like the ones from AAP.

Can the alternator and voltage regulator combo of a modern car properly charge an AGM or it depends?

Modern car means a car with alternator vs generator. That switch was around the mid 1960s I believe.

Duralast gold only lasts two years now. You get a free battery. I haven't paid for a battery in a long time.

Ditto on the shorter life of Gold. that may not be entirely the battery's fault, however, as the newer vehicles are not as battery-friendly.

I've bought several of the AGMs and have not had any fail yet. But, all are under the 5 yr mark.

The last Gold I bought made it just outside of three years, and received the occassional finishing charge, and was in a battery-friendly older vehicle. They refused the warranty it because the new warranty has changed, even though technically it should have been honored by the policy in effect at purchase. It was no longer mine at that time and the new owner let it go.

-m

Can't comment on AutoZone's Platinum battery but just replaced the Die Hard Platinum's in my Diesel truck, they lasted eight years. AGM battery, sealed, no corrosion on the terminals. Put in the Odysseys , two provide ~ 1900 CCA and start the truck fine in sub-zero weather. Paying for good batteries cheaper than missing work...

Only real advantage to the AGM, IMHO, is being sealed, so, it won't leak. Leaking a little bit out of the caps on a conventional batt. is not a problem if the cable terminals are protected by grease, however.

If I had a high-dollar vehicle, I might consider the AGM.

another advantage of the AGM is they do not suffer from as rapid of physical interior disintegration. The plates are sandwiched with fiberglass mat, which reduces their tendency to degrade from vibration and *may* slow plate shedding. They also do not self discharge as rapidly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back