'16 Camaro 2.0L Turbo AC DELCO 5W30 full syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone this is my first post!

45000 km/ 27961 miles on engine.

This is the fourth oil change.

First 3 OC's were M1 5w30. AC DELCO filters every time.

This was the last free oil change i could muster out of my local Chevy dealership.

What are your thoughts and opinions?

Also I would love a recommendation in an oil or two in 5w40. I do not have catalytic converters and the car gets driven ridiculously hard.

Currently I have 500km on shell Rotella T6 0w40 with an M1 synthetic filter in. Will do a UOA a little prematurely just to see how the first run with T6 goes. Also is it okay to run 0w40 year round? We do have cold nights and mornings for a lot of the year with the exception of peak summer. Like 40 to 55°f .

Reason for 0w40 is our ambient temperature has hit below -40°c/f lately.

The engine is a 2.0T DI. catless downpipe/ Intake / tune.

Well, first off
welcome2.gif
sounds like a neat car. I believe that Edge 0w-40 would be ideal as well. A recent discussion here indicated that the German made version has a higher % PAO in it than the Edge made elsewhere. My Wally World carries the German version and that’s what I’m using in an Ecoboost F150. Let us know what you decide to do. And please take your chair here in the open air asylum also known as BITOG.

Interesting to see an analysis for the AC Delco 5W30, thanks for sharing!
I'd guess this is their dexos1 Gen 2 oil with the relatively low calcium concentration as well as the high magnesium, looks sort of like M1 5W30 has for years in those respects.
Very interesting to see some titanium in there! I think that must have been from an oil additive as that is not a typical wear metal (except maybe in a MiG25's or SR71's oil? ;^).
I think when GM had a big recall for LSPI (a possibly destructive knock-like event) in their 1.5l DITs, they specified that the oil should be changed to AC Delco 5W30 in the US and M1 5W30 in Canada...you have likely had good protection from LSPI to date as you have only used those oils in your 2.0l DIT until the Rotella change, and I think that 5W40 (think your 0W40 must be a typo) is also a low calcium formulation that is likely to be LSPI resistant.
I am planning to stick with dexos1 Gen 2 oils in my 2.0l DIT from now on as they are tested for LSPI resistance, but you might be looking for higher HTHS oils if you drive the snot out of your vehicle. I have run M1 5W30 ESP in the past, it has a very high HTHS for its grade (3.58) and what I know about the formulation suggests that it should help prevent LSPI...the only downsides are that it is a dexos2 (diesel) oil that is not LSPI tested and it tends to be expensive.
Much like the GM 1.5ls, my Subaru 2.0l DIT was recalled to check for LSPI damage and reprogram the ECU...some folks got new engines from that recall. I have been extra sensitive to the LSPI issue ever since, although I was aware of it before that thanks to the fine folks at subaruforester.org and BITOG.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Interesting to see an analysis for the AC Delco 5W30, thanks for sharing!
I'd guess this is their dexos1 Gen 2 oil with the relatively low calcium concentration as well as the high magnesium, looks sort of like M1 5W30 has for years in those respects.
Very interesting to see some titanium in there! I think that must have been from an oil additive as that is not a typical wear metal (except maybe in a MiG25's or SR71's oil? ;^).
I think when GM had a big recall for LSPI (a possibly destructive knock-like event) in their 1.5l DITs, they specified that the oil should be changed to AC Delco 5W30 in the US and M1 5W30 in Canada...you have likely had good protection from LSPI to date as you have only used those oils in your 2.0l DIT until the Rotella change, and I think that 5W40 (think your 0W40 must be a typo) is also a low calcium formulation that is likely to be LSPI resistant.
I am planning to stick with dexos1 Gen 2 oils in my 2.0l DIT from now on as they are tested for LSPI resistance, but you might be looking for higher HTHS oils if you drive the snot out of your vehicle. I have run M1 5W30 ESP in the past, it has a very high HTHS for its grade (3.58) and what I know about the formulation suggests that it should help prevent LSPI...the only downsides are that it is a dexos2 (diesel) oil that is not LSPI tested and it tends to be expensive.
Much like the GM 1.5ls, my Subaru 2.0l DIT was recalled to check for LSPI damage and reprogram the ECU...some folks got new engines from that recall. I have been extra sensitive to the LSPI issue ever since, although I was aware of it before that thanks to the fine folks at subaruforester.org and BITOG.

Typo on the 0W40. I think not.

Though I know of the 0W-40 T6 I have never seen it in any stores here.

For the extreme cold in the winter, you could use any 0w40 you see (all brands are good in the 0w40 arena). Plus, when you change the oil with the thick (hot) 0w40, leave it a half-quart low on purpose, like half-way between the Add and Full lines, and put in a pint (half-liter) of Kreen, Seafoam, or Gumout Multi-System in the oil to assist in the extreme cold startups. It will gradually burn off, as designed, and will temporarily get you through the cold months as you add it. (Then stop putting it in when the temperatures gets above about -15 degC or so when its not needed.) Never over-fill, but you can keep the level at the full line during the cold months using the thinner fluids.

Also for extreme cold weather, you should definitely be running a Fram Ultra oil filter with its wire-backed media and silicone ADBV, essential. Nothing filters better than Fram Ultra.

From another Canadian who put in dealership AC-Delco oil, webfors, in another thread:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4612350/Re:_AC_Delco_D1G2_5w30_-_Deale#Post4612196
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
The fact that Ca is around ~1,000 ppm and Mg is ~500 ppm or so does mean this is very likely a dexos1 Gen2 oil, confirmed that. (LSPI protection with lower Ca instead of the old usual ~2,000 ppm Ca.)

Also, the Ti at 18 ppm resembles the amount of Ti that Castrol puts into their Syntec line. Much less than what Kendall typically does though.
Interesting that AC-Delco oil has now hopped on the Afton Titanium bandwagon. https://www.nist.gov/news-events/news/20...ive-engine-oils

It could be Canada-GM sources their AC-Delco (really just a re-branded oil) from Castrol. I have yet to see titanium in AC-Delco oil in the U.S.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I guess this engine like the iron.

Why 5w40? I'd dump Castrol Edge 0/40 right into that engine.
Comming back,,,, I would agree with this oil .

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

Typo on the 0W40. I think not.

My mistake on that!! I've never seen or even heard of Rotella 0W40 before...Canadian market only??

Maybe. Notice the French writing on the bottle and the fact that it's a 5 liter container. Usually we see 5 quart containers (4.73 liters). Also the terrible price is $47.99 Canadian dollars. That's the price at Canadian Tire, the hardware chain in Canada that is infamous for posting inflated prices and then having sales. The $47.99 oil goes on sale for $37.99 Canadian which is $30 U.S.

SF

Welcome !!!

Wow AC Delco with 25 ppm Titanium and Rotella 0W-40. I need to pay better attention, both of these surprised me.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Welcome !!!

Wow AC Delco with 25 ppm Titanium and Rotella 0W-40. I need to pay better attention, both of these surprised me.

;^)

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: SR5
Welcome !!!

;^)

It's true..............this man has no ____.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Though I know of the 0W-40 T6 I have never seen it in any stores here.

The photo was taken in Cranbrook, BC, Canada, not that far from Idaho.

SF
I live in Caldwell. About 500 miles from BC as the bird flies.

What a reception! Thanks for the input everyone!

I estimate that there was about 7000km on the AC DELCO oil. Around there. I'll have to thoroughly go through my service records.

Yes I do believe RT6 0W40 is a Canadian thing.

I spend two weeks a month up in the Canadian oilsands working so the other two weeks of the month the car gets driven. No daily commute to work with the car. It'll take quite some time to reach my next OC. Kinda excited to see how the RT6 UOA looks. I bought a 5 gallon 19 litre pail of the stuff for a good price and I'm really hoping to stick to one oil for as long as possible. Hence why I'd also wanna know if it's okay to run 0w40 all year. I feel like it's okay. I'd only be going from 0w40 to 5w40 if it's not a good idea. I'm also not the type to want extended OCI's. I like to tinker with things and stay occupied so changing oil every 4000-5000 miles is more inline with my habits. Another reason I'd like a stout, affordable oil. And the 5 gallon pails of HD oil when on sale are a great price. I'd change oil sooner if there was any benefit but unlikely. Particularly since it doesn't seem like I'm getting much fuel dilution.

Yes the infamous LSPI issue...I've read that the knock sensors can't pick up LSPI. oddly enough a few months ago I data logged KR at part throttle. Wonder if that was a form of LSPI? Who knows. Having said that...

I do want to stay away from high calcium oils. What contradicts me is that there's DEXOS1 GEN 2 oils with high calcium. Like Castrol edge extended performance 5w30. Which was recently on sale for 50% off!!! (Got 3 4.4L jugs for the GF's Suzie XL7).

Fram ultra's. Definitely gonna pick a few up when they go on sale. I got my M1 synthetic filters on sale and have one on the shelf for next OC.

Any opposition to the M1 syn extended interval filters? 20% off this week. Gonna grab one for GF's XL7.

All blends of Castrol edge are 40% off at my local Canadian tire this week. I don't really need the extended performance edge.

Toss up between these two if I decide to get some... I'll have to try to dig up some UOA's on here. Is there any merit to older UOA's from a few years ago? Be nice if oil manufacturers had voas on their websites!

I recognize those price tags. Those are the infamous Canadian Tire "sale" prices. $32.99 Canadian is $26.40 US. How does that compare down in the states?
Anyone?

SF

At US Walmart, Castrol Edge 0w-40 is normally $26/jug, unless it's on sale.
US jugs hold 5 quarts, not 5 liters, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back