Estimated cost for work on my truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

Last edited by a moderator:
If your real cheap, there are hood rats that advertise on craigslist that will do the work cheap or you can negotiate it cheap.

Luckily I keep maintenance records on my vehicles
smile.gif

Hopefully this gives you a general cost:
Vehicle is a 2002 5.4 F150
---------------------------------------
1. All new spark plugs
2. Coil packs on cyl 3, 4, 6 replaced
Total: $524.40

This was done by our trusted local mechanic

Just labor cost? I have all the parts,as I provided the link in the orig post.

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
Just labor cost? I have all the parts,as I provided the link in the orig post.

I provided the spark plugs, Not the coil packs. reduce three coil packs from that total

Last edited:
I had 8 spark plugs installed I supplied the plugs. The coil packs , if you don't supply them you can look at a serious mark up for parts.
I think I paid $150-$200.
Figure $90 a hour labor for a average. Those $45 a hour days are gone. Lawnmower shops get $80 a hour. What ticks me off is when they throw bull charges like shop fees in to sweeten it even more.
Sometimes a garage runs $69 or $99 brake specials but if you get the performance ceramic pads, rotors cut of new your looking at about $400 for a brake job too.

Last edited:
Book time is 2.8 hours for plugs. There's no extra labor for coils. Call around and ask about labor charges, you do the math.

My shop would be around $425. Labor only.

*Edit* this is assuming the spark plugs threads are ok

Last edited:
Does a 2000 F150 4.6L have COP coil packs?

I had a 98 which is the non-PI engine that did not have coil on plug.

I believe the trucks did not get the PI engine until 2001.

Why are you replacing COPS anyways, are you throwing a code?

I would buy the OEM plugs online, or the autolite equivalent, and do it yourself.

The F150 is cake to work on, there is tons of room. The book may say 2.8 hours but I have done it in a driveway in sixty minutes when I was 18 years old.

I believe the copper plugs are best for these engines, but if you don't want to mess with it again just replace with double platinum and call it a day.

Last edited:
FWIW you will be having to do the job over if you use those coils. Use only Motorcraft if you want it to run right, same with the spark plugs.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Free, if you do the work yourself.

What if the OP has no arms or legs or some other health issue?

It's gotta be something pretty bad for him to pay all that money on labor...

Coil and Plug #4 is not for the uninitiated. That one plug and coil will have most crying home to mama.

Very common for even professional mechanics to skip that plug. It's a rat's nest back there.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Free, if you do the work yourself.

What if the OP has no arms or legs or some other health issue?

It's gotta be something pretty bad for him to pay all that money on labor...

If he doesnt have arms or legs, I'd imagine its pretty difficult to drive it then....

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Coil and Plug #4 is not for the uninitiated. That one plug and coil will have most crying home to mama.

Very common for even professional mechanics to skip that plug. It's a rat's nest back there.

The 5.4 is ridiculous... the 4.6 isn't so bad.

Originally Posted By: Srt20
If he doesnt have arms or legs, I'd imagine its pretty difficult to drive it then....

They got all kinds of new ways to operate machinery by blowing into a straw.

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
1) What should I expect labor charges to be to have 8 new iginition coils,and 8 new spark plugs installed on my 2000 F150 4.6 V8 ?
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/acc-140032-8/overview

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/acc-0526-4/overview/

Stay away from aftermarket coils on a COP Ford. They might be okay....but quite often they are junk.
Speaking of plug #4 nightmares, a couple of months ago I did a Timesert replacement on my #4 plug on my 5.4 Ford F250. A spark plug change is a piece of cake compared to that repair.

This is in the danger zone time period for Ford modular plug replacement-I have around 118K on the plugs in the MGM in my sig, I picked up a set of double platinum plugs, but I'm probably not going to replace them until I get misfire codes (I know it's hard on the coils)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back