Anybody own a Power Probe or Similar Tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC1

Hi Guys,

I've seen a lot of Youtube videos showing the usefulness of a Power Probe for troubleshooting electrical issues.

How many of you guys have one or a similar tool? Are they worth it.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
I have 2 Power Probes, 1 at home & 1 at work......VERY useful tool in my opinion!

Thanks. Is it worthwhile to get the model with the accessories for the cigarette lighter adapter and longer extension cord?

I have the long extension for the one at work, If your using on your own vehicles....You probably won't need it. I work on many different vehicles & some are longer than others.

I don't use people's cigar lighter sockets to power any diagnostic equipment.

I own a PP3 , very useful tool in a variety of situation. It is great for checking fuses , power and ground and to activate motors during diagnostics. It is not though the end all be all for electrical diagnostics, you need to know and understand what you are testing. If your careless and send B+ voltage through the wrong wire , you can fry a plethora of modules , set an airbag off , wreck a can bus line etc. Other great tools to have are LOADpro test leads , great to test for voltage drop across circuits. Nothing can replace a high quality multi-meter and the skills needed to use it. The power probe is another great tool to add to your arsenal though.

I have a PP4 and it complements my scope on a rope (or test light) and my multimeter. Some say that's all you need.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
A Power Probe will not damage sensitive electronics, right?

Yes it will if you use the probe to test them.
But for checking 12v circuits such as lighting, fan motors and such it is a very useful tool.

Roger.

Being a professional of 35yrs experience I do not have one. I can do the same thing with my DVM and a jumper wire.
I do have an older set of the load pro leads from before load pro bought out Dan. Honestly they have their place but I have never really used them either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back