Tire place never repairs my tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
How come their is always an excuse when I bring in a tire to be patched. They're always like do you want to buy a new Tire? I'm like no and walk out. This tire the tread was 1/32 too low last time the screw was like 1/16th too close to the shoulder. It's ridiculous. They just want to sell a a tire.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, if it’s dam close to the sidewall of the Tire; I’d sell you a tire or say go somewhere else. At my work I SEE and do a lot of tires and if I attempted patch near sidewalk I’d be fired. There’s fine line between safety and stupidity

I thought it was always a thumb width from the side wall. They don't touch them unless it's inside the two outer tread lines. Of course mine are always right on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whose thumb counts? The installer is certainly interested in preventing any potential liability issues. There are guidelines for what tire punctures can be safely repaired. Those guidelines vary from state to state and maybe some shops go beyond the official guidelines. You can always get a second opinion if you don't trust the installer.

I know it mat not be the "safest" way to fix a tire, but I've successfully plugged many tires over the years. Napa BTW is a good source for
inexpensive tire plug refills.

Watch afternoon TV and after seeing all the lawyer commercials, come back and say that you would risk your entire business on fudging a repair on an almost worn out tire.

What if they're correct on their assessment, and OP's belief that he's getting screwed is 110% wrong?!?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I know it mat not be the "safest" way to fix a tire, but I've successfully plugged many tires over the years. Napa BTW is a good source for

This. I haven’t paid a shop to fix a flat in decades. Buy a plug kit and fix your own tires.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What if they're correct on their assessment, and OP's belief that he's getting screwed is 110% wrong?!?

This is not a forum where logic or reason applies.

Originally Posted By: Langanobob
Originally Posted By: skyactiv

This. I haven’t paid a shop to fix a flat in decades. Buy a plug kit and fix your own tires.

Same here. I keep a tire plug kit and cigarette lighter air pump in all of our cars.

You have to look at it from the shop's perspective. It's a liability. I've pushed the limit of that liability at my shop, personally. It's a judgement call.

In all honesty I've turned away 10 times more tires for being driven on flat than having the puncture too close to the sidewall or because the tread is too low.

Being driven on flat is the #1 easiest way to kill a tire.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
With road hazard coverage you'd have gotten a new tire!
not at pep boys! I bought road hazzard on some tires there once. Had one get a sidewall damage and since they no longer offered those tires I was denied. Not even offered a comparable tire.

Find a local mom and pop that'll do what you want and then don't cry if the repair fails.
I've had tires repaired when the puncture was in the iffy zone and it sometimes works and it sometimes doesn't.
The average chain isn't going to credit their customers with enough sense to understand that they need to keep an eye on a freshly repaired tire and not drive the wee out of it with good reason.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Whooooooaa shots fired
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Whooooooaa shots fired
thumbsup2.gif

Liability is a huge factor for a shop that repairs tires outside the RMA repair procedures. They can have you sign a waiver but that does not hold up in court if something happens. If I was a shop I would rather lose a customer by not repairing an unsafe tire than repair it and have something happen to them later on.

Its one thing for you to fix a marginal tire and run it. Its another for a shop to fix a marginal tire and be on the hook for liability.

I am fairly conservative, but i have plugged some tires a shop might not have, but i understand why.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back