Rotella T 15w40 still good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, while on vacation talking to pops he asked if Rotella T 15w40 would be okay for his mildly built 340 in his Dart and the 350 in his 82’ s-10 street/strip truck. I said it should be ok as has lil over 1,000 ppm phosphorus. It’s not SN like Delo and Valvoline are so should be ok right?

Thanks in advance.

15W-40 Rotella is what I ran in my drag car.

Most 15W-40 HDEO's are pretty similar, and should perform pretty close to each other.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Here is a recent PQIA VOA of Rotella T4 15W40 (CK-4), it shows 1200 ppm zinc.
http://pqiadata.org/Shell_Rotella_T4_15W40_4192017.html

It's also JASO MA/MA2 approved, which means it's good for gas (petrol) engines. Those fussy little motorcycle ones, so a car should be fine.

Yes, but which API gasser requirement? It could be API SJ which is only good up to 2001 vehicles.

OP's father's vehicles likely don't have cats so I wouldn't be worried about those at all.

Hi @Car51, our apologies for the delay in response. The Rotella T 15W-40, now replaced by Rotella T4 Triple Protection 15W-40 contains about 1000ppm Phosphorus. It is okay to use in engines that require this level of phosphorus content. Do the engines call for any manufacturer approval and/or specs? If the engine does not strictly require the API SN ratings and other engine specs then it should be suitable.

Rotella and VPB are both at or over 1000 PPM of P. The folks at Chevron didn't see it my way and dropped the P, and kept a dual rating. Mobil followed the leader (lighten up Francis, there is humor in that) and did the same with Delvac 1300.
The HDEO world became 2 camps with CK4. Shell tried to do it the way it was described. Delo and Mobil said we will do it one way, Valvoline in typical fashion said they were keeping the dual rating, CK4-SN, but still has over 1000 of P.
Screwy, and you need to be an informed consumer when in the oil isle .
Sad day when the cheapest oil at WalMart has potential to outperform a major in some HDEO applications.

Chevron did not drop the P in all their Delo oils. Delo 400 15W-30 SD (severe duty) is well up there at around 1,200
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Chevron did not drop the P in all their Delo oils. Delo 400 15W-30 SD (severe duty) is well up there at around 1,200
laugh.gif

Are we talking about Delo oils that are API SN rated? My understanding is that the API SN rating requires that Phos and Zinc drop down to around the 800ppm range.

This is why I have stuck with Rotella T4 15W40 for my motorcycles since it does NOT carry an API S? rating -- only CK (which does not require less ZDDP).

That only applies to the so-called ILSAC grades, which are 0w-30, 5w-30, and 10w-30. Of course, it would apply to the 20 grades, but those aren't relevant in this context.

The 0w-40 and 5w-40 and 15w-40 HDEOs may have reduced phosphorus, particularly if they happen to simply share an additive package with the 30 grades, and the 30 grades in question happen to be CK-4/SN, but they aren't required to.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
laugh.gif

Which is exactly why, Mr.Luno, I bought every gallon of Delo SD I could find, or have sent to my local O'Reilly when they closed it out. I have about 40 gallons currently. The Powerstroke and I are quite pleased. Can't say the same for Delo 15w40 or Delvac 1300. IMO, weak sauce. If I needed a 15w40, Rotella and Premium Blue make up my short list for commonly available HDEO. Now I do have about 50 gallons of the Peak 15w40 from the Advance sale last October or so. That's the bargain of all bargains there. 1.85 a gallon, all CJ-4.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Even if it were SN that would not matter because the Zddp limitations do not affect 40 and up grades.

I keep reading that response all over the web. And while technically true, it does not mean or guarantee that the blender actually put a level of Z or P at 1000 PPM or more. Just check out the VOA of Delvac or Delo compared to Rotella, or Valvoline or Motorcraft.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Even if it were SN that would not matter because the Zddp limitations do not affect 40 and up grades.

I keep reading that response all over the web. And while technically true, it does not mean or guarantee that the blender actually put a level of Z or P at 1000 PPM or more. Just check out the VOA of Delvac or Delo compared to Rotella, or Valvoline or Motorcraft.

That is true but atleast that means you can be more sure it has higher Zddp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back