New Years Diets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious as if anyone else is dieting as a new years resolution? Or possibly already on a diet as a lifestyle change etc.

I want to lose about 20lbs that ive gained over the year eating out, cooking gourmet food and enjoying too many goodies over the holidays.

This year I am doing the Rice Diet. I had never heard of the diet, I just happened to be on a chinese/vietnamese kick and i already had a rice cooker..so why not? The diet claims to cleanse while losing weight. I accidently found the diet while looking for recipes.. its been around awhile.

Basically I am going to eat 1 cup of rice a day (its alot of rice once you cook it) then top it with cabbage, onions, broccoli and mushrooms. I had all this stuff already in the fridge. I stir fry the vegetables in a bit of soy sauce and teriyaki, no oil.. so far it doesnt stick and i love the way it tastes.

My snacks will be fruits, raisin bran or oatmeal.

I feel great and am sleeping a bit better..I know its not the perfect diet and I dont plan on doing it forever..just a full detox of sort.

Pros- Cheap. I feel less sluggish, not thinking about what i want for dinner..i already know what im having. Grocery shopping easier.

Cons- Not much if any protein, calcium or iron.

Last year I did the keto diet- that was an emotional roller coaster, it took me a month to get dialed in, i had alot of energy..didnt sleep well at all. I lost 30lbs and my testosterone must have been way up..hint. I would do keto again as punishment or if i had a goal to be a certain weight..but it just sucked.

Best diet i have done where i felt the best was in college as an experiment in class. My roomate and I only ate pinto beans or baked beans.. we chose them because they tasted best out of the can. We also could eat raisin bran, apples, oranges and bananas. We lived on the toilet but lost 20lbs in a month. Felt great, looked great. I admit it got boring after a week..smelling the pizzas coming in the dorm was brutal.

Lets hear your diets and goals.

I'd forget the raisin bran since it has a lot of sugar in it if you look at the nutrition label. Instead get some bran flakes which has a lot less simple carbs from sugar. As far as the diet goes give it a try. I saw a guy recently eating a pretty good size portion of rice with mixed veggies and he's as thin as a rail.

1) Drink lots of water
2) Get rid of soda
3) Eat lots of vegetables and fruits
4) Avoid processed foods
5) Avoid fast food

If you can do the above, most folks would lose weight, have better blood pressure, and be generally healthier.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
1) Drink lots of water
2) Get rid of soda
3) Eat lots of vegetables and fruits
4) Avoid processed foods
5) Avoid fast food

If you can do the above, most folks would lose weight, have better blood pressure, and be generally healthier.

And exercise at least 150 mins per week. I do 240 mins per week. Four days walking for an hour. Plus some other exercise like pushups 25x, squats 38x and crunches 200x, 2-3 days per week. Which reminds to fill up my big cup with water.

Don't diet, just don't over eat and stick to eating healthy the rest of your life. I've never been overweight, but I eat much healthier ever since I got married. My wife is a type 1 diabetic. We eat a Mediterranean diet. She is 5'8"-121 and I'm 6'2"-165.

Diets fail people you need lifestyle change forever including healthy eating.

Last edited:
Eat a lot less Chick Fil A.
frown.gif

Going on a diet? There's no such thing. Changing your diet to lower your calories will help you lose weight. What you eat will help you feel better. That is, so long as you're not naturally disposed to weighing more (physiologically or hormonally). I've had a lot going on recently, causing me to not have as much of an appetite. I still snack at night, but have no desire (receive no pleasure) from eating anything tasty during the day. I've lost 15# in the past couple of months, while being MUCH LESS active than usual.

The trouble with a diet like that is you will soon tire of it. Try smaller portions of your regular food and avoid the obvious fattening ones. If you leave the table a little hungry, the hungry feeling goes away in half an hour. Good time for a little walk, unless you live in the North.
Good luck, Keep us informed of your progress. We're with you in spirit.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Diets fail people you need lifestyle change forever including healthy eating.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My wife has been on the weight watchers program since mid-August. She has lost 32 pounds-I have lost 12 just eating the way she does. All these fad diets-or only eating cabbage and rice-whatever are all plans for just gaining the weight back. You need to eat a HEALTHY BALANCED Diet and this is what Weight Watchers teaches.

The wake up call for her was her annual Doctor's visit and some advice from him.

Last edited:
You don't need to starve or be hungry why Fighter Diet is such a awesome plan

You don't need to starve or be hungry it's why Fighter Diet is such a awesome plan and lifestyle.

I've gained a few pounds several times by not paying attention during life changes. Always able to lose weight simply by not eating anything after supper.

Exercise a wee bit of self-control and a person doesn't have to subject himself to fad crash diets.

I plan on counting calories (myfitnesspal is the app I've been using) and just eating as I ought to be (veggies, avoid processed foods, etc). And monitor progress via bathroom scale. Hardest part will be getting exercise in during winter (bit easier in summer but still a challenge).

Thing is, calories in has to be less than calories out; but while it's pretty easy to nail down how many go in it's about impossible to "know" how many go out. Hence it'll take a couple of months to know if the ratio is correct. I may find that the app when it "says" I'm eating 500 calories too few that I might actually be maintaining weight--and I might need to actually do 1,000 deficit. That was my experience a couple years ago.

If counting calories had any chance of working why are so many calorie counters fat? They sometimes lose weight for a bit and then they are fat, again. Maybe fatter.

If you just read labels and took corn sweeteners and all its derivatives out of your diet you might just start limiting your dietary intake to food that was better for you regardless of the calorie count. True, you would be cutting a huge percentage of things presented as food and you'd have to make some major adjustments at mealtime including not eating out so much but a little bit of work would give you something you could evaluate and adjust to meet your needs.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If counting calories had any chance of working why are so many calorie counters fat? They sometimes lose weight for a bit and then they are fat, again. Maybe fatter.

If you just read labels and took corn sweeteners and all its derivatives out of your diet you might just start limiting your dietary intake to food that was better for you regardless of the calorie count. True, you would be cutting a huge percentage of things presented as food and you'd have to make some major adjustments at mealtime including not eating out so much but a little bit of work would give you something you could evaluate and adjust to meet your needs.

Some people don't know how to eat correctly-that's a fact. They also don't know how to interpret labels. If it were that easy everybody would be skinny.

How many of us grew up taking a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to school with a bag of chips? Mom didn't know she was loading us up on fat because she wasn't educated by her mother on nutrition either. There were not even (nutrition) labels back in the day.

Last edited:
Gave up beer and smoking. Only water,milk, or black tea. Still get hit by pizza slice at Caseys when getting fuel. Soda intake is a can a week. Ride my indoor bike while watching NHL highlights in the morning. I'm feeling better till I see how awful the Habs are doing in hockey. My car is on a diet of N2 in tires,non ethanol fuel and PUP 0w20 with Ceratec.
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back