206 Buick Lacrose CX 3.8l - Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advance Auto Parts has a 20% of discount for Sped Perks members .

Which would you recommend , AC Delco PF47 or Fram Extra Guard PH3387A ? For the same price

Thanks , :)
Wyr
God bles

I would recommend Amazon, Walmart or Rockauto.

All are cheaper and I don't have to deal with a customer service associate with an incurable case of meth mouth.

Seriously, the one near me is staffed by people with more rotted and black teeth than... well... pretty much anything I can imagine.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Wix/Napa Gold, Wix XP/Napa Platinum, or Fram Ultra

Took the words right out of my brain. Word theft.

Originally Posted By: macarose
I would recommend Amazon, Walmart or Rockauto.

All are cheaper and I don't have to deal with a customer service associate with an incurable case of meth mouth.

Seriously, the one near me is staffed by people with more rotted and black teeth than... well... pretty much anything I can imagine.

Forgot to add , we bought this car last June with 37,000 something miles on it . Not a daily driver . We went on a road trip this last weekend & back home Tuesday , it is about to roll over 3000 miles since the dealer we purchased it from serviced it & changed oil / filter . Even though the oil change indicator is showing 80% oil life remaining . Oil / filter change is cheap insurance .

This car does not specify Dexos oil . I have some dino oil & that is what I plan to use . So , with the 3000 mile OCI , I may just get the AC Delco filter .

The AC Delco PF47 from AAP - 20% Speed Perk Discount = almost as cheap ac RockAuto and I do not have to pay freight . OH , what is the difference between PF47 and PF47E ?

The 2 AAP stores I have been to , I have no problem with the Associates . Seem to be just average folks . I also trade at O'Reilly , AutoZone & NAPA .

Wyr

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Advance Auto Parts has a 20% of discount for Sped Perks members .

Which would you recommend , AC Delco PF47 or Fram Extra Guard PH3387A ? For the same price

Wyr
God bles

I wouldn't use either. At Advance, 20% off is still overpriced. I would go with Napa gold or silver.

The NAPA web site shows a Silver long filter and a Silver short filter . Advice ?

The long version of a Delco PF47 is the PF52 which i use on my 96 Regal 3800.

Napa Gold version of a PF52 should be FIL 1036.

Most oil filter books won't show the long filter for your car.

To find the part # for the long filter look up the filter for a 2002 Chevy S10-V6-4 wheel drive.

Well , the short filter worked . I do not think the long filter would work . Used an extra guard I bought at Walmart back in June or July .

Last edited:
By the way , the person that previously changed the oil / filter got the filter tight . Luckily , I managed to find my old oil filter wrench / tool .

The 13mm drain plug was way too TIGHT ! Only 13mm combination wrench I had was 6" - 8" , 12 point . Not long enough to budge the drain plug , by far . Put the wrench on the drain plug and tried hitting the handle . After about 3 times doing that , I had succeeded in rounding off enough corners so that the wrench I had was useless .

Went to 3 places , searching for a 13mm 6 point wrench . No joy .

Ended up using my largest vice grips and hammering on the handle . Finally got the drain plug out . Replaced it with a new drain plug from O'Reilly Auto Parts . Tightened it up , fairly tight with my 13mm wrench . Not nearly as tight as it was . Do not think I am in danger of over tightening it with a 6" - 8" wrench .

Using a 5 quart jug of Mobil dino oil , oil level about midway on the cross hatch section of the dip stick . May take slightly over 5 quarts to bring it up to full ? Should be good for now and probably for the next 3000 miles .

Now , all the problems I described , was made worse by how low to the ground the car / engine is . Had to jack the car up to get my fat frame under the car far enough to work .

Finished up about dusk yesterday .

Wife started it up to fill the oil filter so I could check oil level . Other than that , the car has not been driven . Still need to check for leaks .

It looked , at one point , that I would end up with almost every tool I owned out there on the driveway .

Ouch ... I always use a 6 point socket or box end wrench on stuff that's super tight. If it doesn't break loose with normal force, I get out the 6-point tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back