Alcohol use for the buzz, taste or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy drinking alcohol in the right company. Never touch the stuff if I'm on my own. Occasionally I will have considerably more than neccesary. I might go months without any alcohol at all.
My life, my money, my choice.

Claud.

If you buy into the possibility that one short snort of beer or wine a day is good for you, and you limit yourself to that amount, then cheers.

For the vast majority of the rest that imbibe on booze or pot, the main reason is that it gets you buzzed to varying degrees. It seems pretty clear that neither booze or pot is good for you. In the case of booze its pretty clear cut that it can be fatal if done to a high degree of excess. Jury is still out on pot, but it does not seem to be quite as bad as booze.

We all choose our own poison, and its not for the taste of the booze or the pleasant smoke in our lungs that we imbibe.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
If you buy into the possibility that one short snort of beer or wine a day is good for you, and you limit yourself to that amount, then cheers.

I'd be concerned though, how quickly does one drink a day for health reasons turn into dependence and alcoholism.

Last edited:
I enjoy a gin & tonic about once a month. Have a couple of beers a week depending on what I am eating. The beer is the small 7 oz bottles. So I am not much of a drinker, but I like the taste of what I do drink. I remember the last time I was drunk and that was New Years eve 1971. Never since. I learned my lesson.

I’ve never drinken before. I mean I’ve taken a sip of beer, wine, and a mixed drink just out of curiosity, but oh my god is that stuff disgusting. I don’t see how anyone can drink it.

I once grabbed a Bud Light out of my grandparents fridge thinking it was a Pepsi. I opened it and took a big swig and almost threw up it was so bad and quite the surprise.

I just don’t have he desire to drink, don’t see the purpose. Also grew up with my mom as an alcoholic and saw how it affects people, don’t want to be like that.

I added a tablespoon of Kalua to my mug of coffee this morning and it gave the coffee a very good flavor. Think the Kalua has been around at least eight years. Never have been into alcohol. Absolutely can't stand beer.

I'll do beer, wine, rum, vodka, tequila.

I enjoy the taste and the effects in moderation.

Moderation is key.

Both, and the buzz dulls my arthritis pain so I can fall asleep. I can't drink beer because it makes me prone to gout flare-ups, but I DO enjoy bourbon, scotch and vodka. By my math I consume 30-35 gallons a year, and have done so for maybe 5 years. Have a little sip, get a little buzz and sleep like a baby.

Beats the heck out of vicodin and percocet...they both give me pain relief but they also give me weird dreams and constipation.

I enjoy a good beer or wine now and again.

Sometimes to relax, sometimes for the taste, sometimes to go with food.

I find the effect is synergistic. Sometimes it'll relax you more and then you appreciate the complexity and flavors of wine even more. That can happen with beer also. Sometimes the taste will grab you, especially good wine paired correctly with food and that will lead you to drink more and reach relaxation quicker.

Usually stick to a single drink, occasionally it becomes two.

I will often start a beer or wine before a meal to relax quicker which helps appreciate the flavor of the food more. Eg a beer before spicy food is perfect.

I'm 25. I drank like a fish in college. One particular St. Patrick's day was the last I enjoyed liquor though, after that night I can't drink the hard stuff. Never been so sick in my life. Never again. I do enjoy a nice cold Stella every now again though.

I did a 180. When I started college I hated beer but enjoyed the spirits. Now I hate the hard stuff and enjoy beer. Truly not much of a drinker anymore though, I had my fun in college but I'm over it now. I bought a 48-pack @ Costco about 2 months ago and I think I've drank maybe 4 of them. Need to give them away before they go bad.

An ice cold almost frozen Corona and lime is like candy to me!!
laugh.gif

I’ll have an occasional beer or two, usually with certain foods it pairs well with. I love it with Mexican food or hot wings. I very seldom have wine or liquor.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: UberArchetype
There is mounting evidence that alcohol consumption is very detrimental to your health . It is by far the the most dangerous drug in the world. Society has been brainwashed to ignore or overlook this simple fact for at least the last 100 years, while economic interests continue colluding with the government to suppress competition, propping up the liquor industry and Big Pharma:

Same thing has been happening with marijuana. It's equal to booze in it's detrimental effects and is also propped up as some sort of "harmless" and "natural" drug for the masses.
It's not.

Nothing is completely harmless, but to say marijuana is as harmful as alcohol just proves you don't know what you're talking about...there are tens of thousands of people who die from alcoholism each year, and even more who suffer ailments from drinking, but where are those ailing from using marijuana? Millions of people smoke it, and yet we don't see people dying, or even showing any ill-effects from its use. Why is that?

I don't drink hard alcohol and I don't drink wine, I just don't enjoy it.

I do however, enjoy beer, particularly European and craft beers. Oktoberfest ones are generally my favourites. I typically have one a day (500ml can) sometime between after work and after dinner, depends on what I'm doing and when my wife gets home. She'll enjoy a glass of wine while I have a beer. Sometimes we choose not to, say just being too tired or not in the mood, but it is more often than not that we find something good to watch on Netflix or Amazon video and sit back with a drink and relax.

Are you drinking one now Overkill?
smile.gif

I'll have one later. Received some various beers from relatives for Christmas. So look forward to that. My new thing is to not drink two days in a row and keep it to one beer.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
smile.gif

I'll have one later. Received some various beers from relatives for Christmas. So look forward to that. My new thing is to not drink two days in a row and keep it to one beer.

No, had my last one from the batch I purchased before Christmas yesterday. Actually headed out to deposit some money and hit the LCBO right now, LOL

I used to drink a few beers a week; now I may have a GENNY Cream Ale or two on weekend and that’s it. Some “stout” style beers I do enjoy; when on vacation or holidays

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
smile.gif

No, had my last one from the batch I purchased before Christmas yesterday. Actually headed out to deposit some money and hit the LCBO right now, LOL

I had a Mill Street Oktoberfest beer awhile back, was very good! I usually buy their mix packs when they become available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back