Oil Recommendations for 2017 Ram w/3.0L ecodiesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, this is my first diesel vehicle. So any advice on oil changes would be appreciated.

What have others used and recommended. The manual recommends API CJ-4 and 5w40.

It also says to change it when the light comes on. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

I had this engine in a 2013 Grand Cherokee Summit and loved it. They're since changed the oil recommendation since I owned my Jeep which originally required 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum Euro L. For your truck you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with Rotella T-6 or Chevron Delo 5w40. Enjoy your new diesel!

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
API now has CK-4 which I know Rotella T-6 meets and is of course is a full synthetic. The Shell Rotella website claims CK-4 has has better wear resistance than CJ-4. Just sayin.

SF

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
But will the warranty mongers care? Is the question.

I wonder if the owner's manual has been updated since the CK-4 oil hit the
market. I know that the Eco-diesel was not for sale for some time, and maybe the
manual needs to be rewritten to include CK-4 oils. Then again, maybe Ram is playing the Ford Powerstroke game.

I'm going with the need for a new printing.
smile.gif

A quick trip down to the dealership for Mikeintx would be valuable. Find out which oil the dealership is using for oil changes. First of all, if it's a 5W-40, it's probably going to be a synthetic oil. Secondly, if it's a synthetic oil it's probably already going to be meeting CK-4. Now, I haven't checked the web for a 5W-40 that only meets CJ-4 but I'll poke around.

Some folks here think Ram doesn't want CK-4. I am of the opinion they are recommending a minimum of CJ-4 and CK-4 is better. Also, Mike, listen to the dealer's requirement for 5W-40. Don't try out out perform the RAM engineers. Just my two bits.

SF

CK-4 is backwards compatible just fine, and Rotella will likely have the relevant Cummins and Dodge specifications. Only Ford is concerned about CK-4. Just about every manual in the API regime says to use spec whatever or newer, without any panic about future oils.

Just checked with my local Dodge (Ram) Dealer. They service the 3.0 liter diesel engine with Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 oil. It is a CK-4 oil. Please go ahead and confirm this with your local dealer's service department.

SF

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
For those interested, the 3.0 liter diesel is not a Cummins engine. They are manufactured in Italy by VM Motori, a subsidiary of Fiat Chrysler.

SF

Same company that made the 4 cyl diesel in the old Jeep Liberty. I want one of those.

The manual also says that it should meet CES 20081. But CES 20081 is essentially just CJ-4 which, like Garak pointed out, CK-4 is backwards comparable to.

Thanks guys, this is all good info. I appreciate it.

I am learning about changing the fuel filter and draining water out of it too. Learning a lot about diesels in general. Luckily I have some friends and co-workers who have them, so I have some people to bounce ideas and ask questions to. Just all of their diesels are Fords or Dodges with the bigger Powerstrokes and Cummins engines. Seems the consensus it the 3.0 is a bit different.

Do you guys that run diesels usually use Blackstone to do your UOAs?

Hi Mike,

We recommend Rotella T6 5W-40 for this vehicle/engine. As for change interval, yes, use the onboard monitor if available. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: ChrisGuerrero
Hi Mike,

We recommend Rotella T6 5W-40 for this vehicle/engine. As for change interval, yes, use the onboard monitor if available. Hope this helps.

Thanks Chris, I was just curious cause the extended warranty info was indicating a 7.5k OCI. Seemed odd the manual says use the monitor and the other stuff seems to indicate different.

Straight from the current Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel Supplement, 3rd Edition...

We recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such
as MOPAR or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material
Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 or ACEA E9/E7 or
ACEA A3/B4 engine oil category is required.

I have been told by a Jeep Service Writer that FCA MS-10902 is the same as the Cummins CES-20086.

The question is, does API-CK4 meet either of the two ACEA specs?

FYI... The 5w30 originally spec'd for the Ecodiesel was per "FCA Material Standard MS-11106, and that are approved to ACEA C3"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back