Supertech 5w-30 syn; 7k mi; 2014 IS350 60k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calls for 10k OCI on 5w20, but light comes on a little after 5k, so I ran it to 7k to see if it really needed to be changed at 5k and this is the results with the cheapest 5w30 and a $1.08 fram extra guard CH10158 (got 20 on closeout at rockauto). How far can I go?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Maintenance Required light that comes on every 5k miles for rotations, fluid level checks etc...And every 10k for oil changes. This comes up a lot on here since it's not 100% clear. You can go farther, at least 7500-10k it appears. I always look at the Fe reading first, then silicon, Al etc...

Looks like you can go to 10K with ease.

I love reading UOAs from expensive cars with the cheapest possible oil and filter , and UOAs of high end synthetic oil and filters in worn out daily drivers.

If it werent for my clearance oil stashes i would go the same route as you, maybe Harvest King instead.

Those Toyota / Lexus 3.5l engines are great.

10k miles seems like it should be no problem.

Are you doing mostly highway driving?

thanks guys, I was concerned going that far that's why I went 5w-30 instead of 5w-20...these miles are mostly highway at 80 to 95mph, 100 mile 1 way commute to work so I jam, plenty of WOT

Great report. The TBN seems very high still, probably started between 8-9. Did you add make-up oil? How did you collect the oil sample?

Based on the TBN and low wear numbers, you could definitely run it out to 10k. I'd keep running 30 weight if it performed this well.

Last edited:
so I ran it to 7k to see if it really needed to be changed at 5k ...It works.

No make up oil, I let it run out about a quart before I collected it straight into the collection bottle during the drain. It was black as [censored] and smelled like gas big time though

For Super Tech Syn, that report looks great IMO
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing

Originally Posted By: Youthanasia
thanks guys, I was concerned going that far that's why I went 5w-30 instead of 5w-20...these miles are mostly highway at 80 to 95mph, 100 mile 1 way commute to work so I jam, plenty of WOT

I forgot about you.. figured u had your license taken by now.

2 questions, you said its the cheap stuff super tech so i assume thats the conventional right? but it states on the report SYNTHETIC oil....just a typo by wix or did you use synthetic?? and if i may ask how much does a report like this cost? ty

Originally Posted By: mitsu4me
2 questions, you said its the cheap stuff super tech so i assume thats the conventional right? but it states on the report SYNTHETIC oil....just a typo by wix or did you use synthetic?? and if i may ask how much does a report like this cost? ty

The report says Super Tech full synthetic. Super Tech has a Full Synthetic line $17 and change at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I'll bet that oil can handle 12.5K or more.... the numbers look great

Yep Id say so. Id start with 10-11k and retest just to see. I think 10k changes could be done with no worry. 10k out of that combo is a great deal and appears to be doing great in the engine. Proof that color and smell is not a good way to judge if oil needs changing.

Originally Posted By: Youthanasia
That is a perfect situation for Mobil1 Annual Protection, the latest tech from XOM. Walmart. Use that for 20,000 miles and save labor-time costs. Even DIY self-labor is costly to a busy person. Then, if using the Fram ExtraGaurd, change oil filter at 10k miles. You could go the whole 20k on a Fram Ultra though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back