Lifetime warranty not much use to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After over twenty years of constant use I broke my 1/2" Craftsman breaker bar yesterday. I think it's supposed to have a lifetime warranty, but I can't afford a transatlantic flight for a $20 tool!.
cry.gif

Claud.

Last edited:
I'd fly over there just outta priciple. Lol. Make the evening news as the first idiot to do so over a warranty claim. HAHAHAHAHA.

I would think there are some fine European tool brands over there, esp in Germany?

Isn’t Craftsman made by Stanley Black and Decker now? I know they still have the lifetime warranty

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
You got your monies worth out of it. Get a local replacement and cruise on
laugh.gif

01.gif

Originally Posted By: Claud
After over twenty years of constant use I broke my 1/2" Craftsman breaker bar yesterday. I think it's supposed to have a lifetime warranty, but I can't afford a transatlantic flight for a $20 tool!.
cry.gif

Claud.

How did you break it? Pics please. I still have one.

Anyway, with inflation it's now a $32 tool.

James Niell, Britool, British tools standing comparison with the best in the World, Stahlwille and Facom are European brands also of the highest quality.
My breaker bar stands me in a bit less than one buck a year. I'm not complaining, just didn't realise I had that much strength left in me.
blush.gif

I'm 62 years old, do I invest in a top name brand for working part time, or just get a cheaper but still good make?. Laser, Trident, and Sealey are decent medium price tools. Over here Bergen, Rolson, Am-Tech and Toolzone are dirt cheap, maybe ok for occasional home diy, but have no place in a tradesmans tool box.

Claud.

Last edited:
Shipping might be cheaper to states? Try calling them(Craftsman) and they could mail you a replacement too?

Something worth trying?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I would think there are some fine European tool brands over there, esp in Germany?

Isn’t Craftsman made by Stanley Black and Decker now? I know they still have the lifetime warranty

Stanley in Germany is higher quality than in the USA, many of the hand tools are Proto sold under their more recognizable Stanley name. Don't know about the UK.

This one was sold in the USA under the Stanley name but when they cheapened the line it became a Proto. In Europe and the UK it is still a Stanley. This is a good ratchet!

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-4-85-577-Ratchet-Micro-Silver/dp/B0001IWC2K

Last edited:
Wasn't much use to me in Ohio either. Had to threaten to call Attorney General to get a replacement. No wonder they are going out of business.

Originally Posted By: jkasch
Any Harbor Freights in England? Their breaker bar is dirt cheap and nearly indestructible.
I broke a nearly indestructible Snapon 24" breaker bar at work ! Harbor fright won't stand up to hard use.Home use isn't hard though.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Any Harbor Freights in England? Their breaker bar is dirt cheap and nearly indestructible.
I broke a nearly indestructible Snapon 24" breaker bar at work ! Harbor fright won't stand up to hard use.Home use isn't hard though.

But if you are breaking a 1/2" breaker bar (Snap-On, HF or otherwise) you should be using a 3/4" one. I picked up a 3/4" drive bar and some sockets at HF a while back and they come in handy once in a while. I don't feel like it's going to snap even with a long cheater on the end.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: PimTac

Stanley in Germany is higher quality than in the USA, many of the hand tools are Proto sold under their more recognizable Stanley name. Don't know about the UK.

This one was sold in the USA under the Stanley name but when they cheapened the line it became a Proto. In Europe and the UK it is still a Stanley. This is a good ratchet!

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-4-85-577-Ratchet-Micro-Silver/dp/B0001IWC2K

I agree. It’s interesting about the quality of Stanley in Germany. Most of their stuff here is very bad but it may depend on where it is purchased. Stanley at Walmart seems very cheaply made compared to some more expensive Stanley tools at HD or Lowe’s. Porto was very good quality many years ago.

I have actually had good luck with Taiwanese made tools. Of course my use is household and light duty. For professional use there are other go to brands like Snap On etc.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: CT8

But if you are breaking a 1/2" breaker bar (Snap-On, HF or otherwise) you should be using a 3/4" one. I picked up a 3/4" drive bar and some sockets at HF a while back and they come in handy once in a while. I don't feel like it's going to snap even with a long cheater on the end.

That's what I was thinking.

I have a 3/4 breaker from HF and it is stout for what I need.

I bought a rusty kit of 3/4 inch sockets/breaker bar/ratchet tools on the eBay for cheap. Like $20 cheap. I cleaned them up, and they work fine. New they would have been $300-$400.

I agree with the above. Once you own a 3/4 inch breaker, you reach for it a lot more. Its WAY stronger than any 1/2 breaker.

The real challenge will be AFTER your transatlantic flight. You'll need find a Sears store that's actually still open so you can make your exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back