one gun only for a very wintry shooting range hour

Status
Not open for further replies.
i had occasion to go to the range yesterday afternoon before the big snowstorm hit and figured that my fingers would last long enough for only one gun. i chose a ruger lcr 22lr. i shot off 300+ rounds of winchester, cci standard & quiet, and blazer ammo. had a few initial ftf on all but the winchester but recyled the cylinder and all fired on the second try (love revolvers). shot at paper plates at 15’, then at clay and wood debris in the berm at 50’. yes, im a lousy shot, but rapid double taps into a paper plate at 15’ works for my ccw needs. i thought of my dad and uncle in the ardennes 73 years ago. unlike them i enjoyed a fun solitary time shooting in the still, frigid winter air.

what one gun would you choose?

My dad has an old S&W 669.

I could shoot that gun all day - it's an absolute peach and it may follow me home next time I'm out that way for a range day.

The only gun I almost always use is my ccw G42. But good you got out to do it in bad weather. You need to do bad condition stuff for CCW. I was out in wind and 10F (or less) the other day. I always gake 10 loaded mags so that's about 12 minutes in the elements//lol.

Last edited:
I will be going to the range tomorrow and I will bring the 1911 or the 22 LR AR 15.

Any gun? I'm interested in the Sig Sauer P239 SAS .357sig caliber single stack sub-compact at the moment, so that would be my choice to test drive. If it has to be one of my own guns it would be my Bushmaster XM-15. For some reason cold weather just says rifle to me more than pistol.

Anything that heats the barrel up fast, so I can warm my hands
smile.gif

Probably my G19. I have the most mags for it, so I would load all of them up at home and avoid needing to take off the gloves for any reasons!

Did it get tough to reload the cylinder in the cold? 22LRs being so small, I would imagine they'd need more dexterity to deal with. Or maybe by then the cylinder was was a welcome warmth
smile.gif

i wanted to shoot 22lr, so my choice was either a ruger sr22 or lcr. i chose the lcr because i carry it more. i lost the feeling in my fingers about 30 rounds shy of emptying my last box of blazer. did i stop? heck no, haha. actually that is when i thought of my dad and uncle in the ardennes.

Originally Posted By: bsmithwins
Steyr AUG. Easy to shoot with bulky gloves or mittens.

BSW

Nice pic with the rocket being fired.

You are brave. I dont go to the range if its under 50 degrees. And where I live, that's realistically only like 4 days a year that I cant go to the range.

BSW

Screw the AUG, I wanna shoot that gun behind him.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Any gun? I'm interested in the Sig Sauer P239 SAS .357sig caliber single stack sub-compact at the moment, so that would be my choice to test drive. If it has to be one of my own guns it would be my Bushmaster XM-15. For some reason cold weather just says rifle to me more than pistol.

Interesting! I hadn’t heard of that model, so I looked it up. Gonna have to do some research on that one.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

BSW

Screw the AUG, I wanna shoot that gun behind him.

And people complain about the price of ammo...

Guided missle of some sort. You can see the control wire coming off the back of it.

BSW

Maybe a Finnish M39? Both of mine shoot really well in cold weather. After an hour of shooting the M39 my shoulder would be done anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back