When the Boss is a Micro-Manager ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
New year sometimes brings staffing moves and changes. Have you inherited a micro manager for your new boss for 2018? If so, I feel your pain.

Happy New Year !!

Happy New Year!

I am retired however, I have had micro managers in the past.
Learn their idiosyncrasies and what they're anal about and work around them. This may take 6 months/1 year but, pay attention to their likes & dislikes.

Sometimes, reverse psychology is in order. e.g., they(mgr) ask for something to be done a specific way(their way) and just do it your own way so that you remain sane. But, learn what you can get away with and how the mgr reacts to your final outcome. But first, start out doing things their way.

There is definitely a high learning curve in regards to micro managers. You really need to pay attention to them even more than they're paying attention to you. It's the case scenario of; "keep your friend close, keep your enemies closer"!
Or better yet, "hunt the hunter"! And "have eyes in the back of your head"!...w/o getting spastic, over time!

^^^Without making enemies. Sometimes, give less but, with a smile!
wink.gif

Last edited:
The trick is to learn what the micro-manager values most and cater to those needs. If you do that, they will usually learn to trust you.

I'm in a unique position. I work for a technology contracting company, but I'm assigned to a few different school districts. I have a supervisor from my company located in another state, so I rarely see them except for a few times a year. 99% of the time I am based onsite at one of the schools. My performance is based off of completed projects, level of helpdesk service given, and the satisfaction of the districts. Essentially I have a bunch of different bosses since I report to the principals of the schools, the superintendents, and my company supervisor.

A few of the principals and one of the superintendents are micro-managers. A few of them can be somewhat abrasive unless they get what they want. I've learned their different styles and approach their needs in that way, which makes them very satisfied and they tend to bother me less because they know stuff is getting done. For the one superintendent, something as simple as showing up to meetings with a visual diagram of projects and their status has made an incredible difference in the way she treats me.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Happy New Year!

I am retired however, I have had micro managers in the past.
Learn their idiosyncrasies and what they're anal about and work around them. This may take 6 months/1 year but, pay attention to their likes & dislikes.

Sometimes, reverse psychology is in order. e.g., they(mgr) ask for something to be done a specific way(their way) and just do it your own way so that you remain sane. But, learn what you can get away with and how the mgr reacts to your final outcome. But first, start out doing things their way.

There is definitely a high learning curve in regards to micro managers. You really need to pay attention to them even more than they're paying attention to you. It's the case scenario of; "keep your friend close, keep your enemies closer"!
Or better yet, "hunt the hunter"! And "have eyes in the back of your head"!...w/o getting spastic, over time!

^^^Without making enemies. Sometimes, give less but, with a smile!
wink.gif

Very sound advice! I might add, I've had some of my best Boss/employee relationships with micro-managers once I did what char baby suggested. They are usually very protective once you've won their trust!

I have a new role w/ a global group of 100+ folks. The organization and team is in transition so there is a lot of change that needs to be executed on, and that is what I lead and do. The SVP i now report to schedules daily 1on1's for us which typically start at 5:30, sometimes 6, understanding that late meetings often make sense (less distractions, prep for next day w/ prior day's full results, etc.)...but the micro management does get old. Luckily i like and, more importantly, have much respect for my new Boss (they are brilliant) and I am learning a new area of the business. The long hours go with the level, but this intensity of monitoring typically does not and i will deal with it.

That said, some level of micro management is justifiable under certain circumstances, such as a key project, problem or if your boss' backside, or bonus, is on the line, just to name a few:).

Agree with what is stated above, and my experience is that opportunity always comes at a cost but is almost always worth it for the experience and career growth. The easy roles aren't usually the ones that get you noticed. Stick to it and good luck.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The micro manager should be renamed the micro douche.

Yeah, our old boss was that way; and that way got him fired. Thank God
smile.gif

My Boss is a complete tyrant. Always telling me what to do, demanding more, and more, etc. etc...

Ie: I'm self-employed in a line of work I started out working in as a hobby. If I ever get tired of it, or people no longer want my services, I'll walk away and go back to being retired.

The managers I hate the worst are the ones that just "parrot" new orders from "higher up"

They themselves don't even know how to implement the new changes,
but they want you to figure it out on your own (and for them, too...)
mad.gif

I had a boss/owner that ran the hotel I worked for a few years back. Once you DID certain things his way he backed off.

The easiest way to lose your job is to go against the boss. You are not there to rebel, you are there to do what he/she says.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
The easiest way to lose your job is to go against the boss. You are not there to rebel, you are there to do what he/she says.

That’s what got my boss canned. He stuck up for us on lots of stuff. His boss above him didn’t like stuff being done and wanted total control. Oh well

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back