Generator full mark on dipstick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Where’s the full mark? This is for a ETQ 13 hp generator which I believe to be a Chinese Honda. I just filled to the very top with the machine level. I’d say the level is on the indent on the stick. Did I overfill? No words written in indent or on stick period

Full should be the top of the fill hole as evidenced by the hash marks going all the way to the threads. Thats how I've always run these engines with the fill plug at the bottom of the crank case.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Full should be the top of the fill hole as evidenced by the hash marks going all the way to the threads. Thats how I've always run these engines with the fill plug at the bottom of the crank case.

Yep - or even just to the top of the hash marks, it doesn't really matter.

The bottom end of the dipstick is just before the "low oil shutoff" engages.

It's a pretty generous area of range to operate in.

On the Chonda engines, rest the threads on the top of the fill hole to check. The top of the cross hatch marks is the full level. Do not screw the plug in to check.

Last edited:
The Honda gx engines are the same. I wish they would put a low mark on the dipstick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
The Honda gx engines are the same. I wish they would put a low mark on the dipstick.

The end of the dipstick is the low mark, no oil on the stick means it's low. Any lower and most of them (honda's anyway) have a low oil shutoff and the motor just won't run.

Originally Posted By: pda1122

Where’s the full mark? This is for a ETQ 13 hp generator which I believe to be a Chinese Honda. I just filled to the very top with the machine level. I’d say the level is on the indent on the stick. Did I overfill? No words written in indent or on stick period

Originally Posted By: gman2304
On the Chonda engines, rest the threads on the top of the fill hole to check. The top of the cross hatch marks is the full level. Do not screw the plug in to check.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

These are the same oil checking instruction notes that came with my 13HP Chonda powered generator.

My first two lawn mowers I owned with 3.5 Briggs just had the cap and no stick with hash marks. I always thought that was a lot simpler than trying to read a dip stick with fresh oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back